Sign in to follow this  
FlyingGoose

Hi! How do I get started?

Hi all,

I've always wanted to get into sim flying but I've never been able to proceed beyond the basic tutorials in XPlane and FSX. I finish those, but then I don't know what to do next! How do I learn how to fly properly (sim flying, I mean, not real flying)? I have a good computer (Ryzen 2700x, 32GB RAM, GTX 1070) and a basic Thrustmaster Joystick so I have the technical side sorted. I also have purchased both FSX-SE and X-Plane 11  so I have the software.

I'm able to use the basic features on FSX-SE and XP11 - I can take off, land, and fly around. What I don't know is things like creating a flight plan, communicating with the tower, and actually flying from Airport X to Airport Y. Right now I just load a random airport and a basic Cessna, take off, fly around in a circle and then land.

I'd love to be able to go through some form of flight sim training. I have time for the next six months so thought I'd get back into it. I've tried Youtube, but there are too many channels and I can't find something that works for me.

So AVSIM experts, help me out. How do I get to the point where I can really enjoy flying? I'd appreciate any and all tips.

Thanks!

Hi there and welcome!

One possible suggestion would be to head over to VATSIM (online flying network) and find an Approved Training Organisation (ATO).

These are organisations which will train you toward a series of Pilot Ratings which are recognised across the network. Some are 'standalone' organisations dedicated to training, some are part of VATSIM ATC divisions, some are attached to Virtual Airlines; have a look at the training offered by each and see what meets your needs. Many will involve some level of live training with a human, combined with online courses etc that cover, over the whole range of ratings, everything from VFR to IFR flight, handling, flight planning, communications and so on.

https://ptd.vatsim.net/atos 

Best,

Simon

Welcome to Avsim. Couple of suggestions for you:

If you want to fly jetliners properly, then I can certainly recommend Mike Ray's series of books on the subject, which are written specifically for flight simmer who want to know and learn about that stuff. He's a former United Airlines pilot. Here's his webstore: https://utem.com/

All his books are great, being accessible and funny too, and if you buy a hard copy rather than a PDF, they are ring-bound, which means they lie flat on any open page, so they are great for doing tutorials on the fly with the book open on your PC desk. You really can't go wrong with any of them, but if you want a specific recommendation for one of his books, I suggest this one: Flying the Boeing 700 Series. It covers pretty much everything you'd ever want to know on how to fly a typical Boeing jetliner and if you have any of these as an add-on aeroplane with an FMC etc, then this will explain everything you need to know about that stuff. If you want a good aeroplane to use in combination with this book, I'd recommend the iFly Boeing 737 NG.

If you want something a bit more all in one and cheaper, then I recommend this little aeroplane add-on. It's inexpensive, fun to fly, looks and sounds good, but above all it has what is without doubt one of the best PDF tutorial manual I've ever seen with it. Reading that PDF and doing the tutorial flight it covers will painlessly explain how you plan flights, what all that confusing stuff means and how put all that stuff into an aeroplane's systems and then make use of it. Well worth getting hold of this one if you want to wake up one morning not knowing any of that stuff and be pretty clued up on it all by lunchtime!

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

If you are still using FSX, the I would suggest doing some of the Missions that involve taking off from one airport and flying into another.  Most are fairly easy to do and involve ATC communication and following directions given.

I would highly recommend getting your default flight setup for a cold and dark scenario.  This way you learn the procedures for turning on all systems and getting your aircraft started.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

44 minutes ago, FlyingGoose said:

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will check out the books and the links.

Hi...

While this site is old - it's well done and still relevant - it's what started me down the path...

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

FSX-SE has a mass of info (a virtual encyclopedia), called The Learning Center, within the program itself under help.

This site can help as well:

https://www.flightsimbooks.com/

packed with a bunch of free books filled with instruction and flight ideas applicable to both FSX-SE and XP11.

9 hours ago, pracines said:

FSX-SE has a mass of info (a virtual encyclopedia), called The Learning Center, within the program itself under help.

This site can help as well:

https://www.flightsimbooks.com/

packed with a bunch of free books filled with instruction and flight ideas applicable to both FSX-SE and XP11.

Thanks Paul. I have started reading the Learning to Fly book.

Hi all,

I've made a lot of progress thanks to your help. I'm now able to file a flight plan in XP11, fly with ATC guidance, and generally feel like I'm actually simulating a real flight!

Thanks again.

• Like 1