Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

A Developers Hall of Fame ?

POSKY provided us with some great freeware. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Oh, and maybe Bruce Artwick?  Or is he too official to count as a third party?

49 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

POSKY provided us with some great freeware. 

Beat me to it. Hiroshi Igami is a legend.

Edited by Deltalpha

Danny

5 hours ago, Alan_A said:

Oh, and maybe Bruce Artwick?  Or is he too official to count as a third party?

He is the Founding Father.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

The Oscars of the FS Community...

The Oscar for Best Developer goes to.......Bruce Artwick

Lifetime achievement award.......Bruce Artwick

But yes when you look at BAO and Mallard which was also Bruce's other companies, he was also the first major Third Party Developer on top of being the Creator. He was all things back then

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

13 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

The Oscars of the FS Community...

The Oscar for Best Developer goes to.......Bruce Artwick

Lifetime achievement award.......Bruce Artwick

But yes when you look at BAO and Mallard which was also Bruce's other companies, he was also the first major Third Party Developer on top of being the Creator. He was all things back then

SubLogic and BAO yes but I am not sure he was in Mallard. Was he ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, domkle said:

SubLogic and BAO yes but I am not sure he was in Mallard. Was he ?

Yes because Mallard was the technical side of development, Notice his name on the Copyright on these disks 😎

774fc6abf26ca949a9b442a70ca83d06.image.6

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

Sorry had a few beers tonight so I clicked twice 

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

How could you forget these names....

Here is a list from my original local scenery release readme - released in 1996..

- Bob Bernstein
- Goran Brumen (gorchi)
- George Davison (ghd)
- Luis Féliz-Tirado
- Tom Gregor, Sr. (fame)
- Jim Keir
- Edgar Knobloch (edgarone)
- Holger Sandmann (Holger)
- Christian Stock (Christian)
- Martin Strong (shaka)
- Chris Wright (cwright)

..and all RWY12 authors, and many others over the years.

And, last but not least...some very SPECIAL credit is due..some 'Blasts from the past' so to speak..

Mauritio Gavioli, who started all this FS DIY by disassembling the BGL format.
Bruce Artwick, late of BAO. He also started all this, didn't he ?
Hiroo Umenu for his original BGLComp, before he 'defected' to MS :-)
Adam Szofran for his FSASM assembler. Another defector to MS !
John Waller for his ENGLAND1.ZIP - the first true UK scenery base.
..John - We all in the UK owe you a lot...

Regards

Bill

I notice Rob Young has already been mentioned but Sean Moloney, his co-developer in Real Air, should also be in here. Between them they produced a number of superb aircraft and their Turbine Duke arguably has not yet been bettered in terms of replication of turbine engine systems in a GA twin.

Bill

13 minutes ago, scianoir said:

I notice Rob Young has already been mentioned but Sean Moloney, his co-developer in Real Air, should also be in here. Between them they produced a number of superb aircraft and their Turbine Duke arguably has not yet been bettered in terms of replication of turbine engine systems in a GA twin.

Bill

Sean  does splendid aircraft but at the difference of Rob Young he didn't bring anything new in terms of innovation as far as I know. What I had in mind was to recognize innovators, those who blazed new trails.

Dominique

52 minutes ago, domkle said:

Sean  does splendid aircraft but at the difference of Rob Young he didn't bring anything new in terms of innovation as far as I know. What I had in mind was to recognize innovators, those who blazed new trails.

That’s fair enough if you are going to confine the Hall of Fame to innovators but there are many out there, who may not be innovators as such, but who have contributed monumentally to the hobby over the decades. Two individuals who come immediately to mind are the late Tom Allensworth for establishing and shaping what is arguably the premier flightsim website today and also the late David ‘Opa’ Marshall who was not only quite a prolific freeware developer but who also was exceptionally generous in using his extensive knowledge to provide assistance to a vast number of people on the forums. 

Don’t get me wrong, I think your idea of a Hall of Fame is great, but perhaps it is a bit limiting to confine it to innovators and and it may be worth considering having some additional ‘award’ categories to enable all those out there who have gone ‘above and beyond’ to get a little recognition for their contributions to our hobby. But that’s just my personal opinion!

Bill

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Did anyone mention Art Poole?  He has pretty much populated the islands of the Bahamas and much of Florida with very nice freeware airports.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

The Project Freeware team. They were the POSKY before there was POSKY. They even had a dedicated forum here on Avsim that had more posts than the MS Forum. These guys were great back in the day. 

Edited by Camsdad13
Spelling

I would like to add to this list:

Doug Thompson and John Dekker, developers of Radar Contact. Both made software now available for FREE to the community so anybody that wish to continue using it can do so.

Another very important figure is Arno Gerretsen, autor of www.FSDeveloper.com, he continues to deliver so much for the flight sim community and many 3rd party developers (including me) own him a lot of knowledge which has allowed us to keep pushing the boundaries of our simulator.

Regards,
Simbol

Edited by simbol
  • Like 2