Sign in to follow this  
Will273

New Machine for X Plane 11?

I'm thinking about getting a computer for X Plane 11 only and no add-ons...just the defaults as they are. XForce has one for $1,600. it's an intel 6 core i5 9600 overclocked to 4.8....intel Z390 chipset motherboard....16 GB DDR-4 3200 MHZ RAM supports up to 64GB...NVidia RTX 2060 6GB GDDR 6 and 700 watt power Supply. I'd like to be able to run X Plane 11 at medium to high settings...with or without HDR and be able to fly into , out of KJFK or over NYC using downloaded real weather in nasty cloudy conditions and get somewhere around 40 FPS. I can do that now in X Plane 10 and would like to do it in X Plane 11 if that computer would be fast enough. Please let me know what you think...thanks! Oh...One reason I'm interested in X Force is they're close and they  build their computers just for X Plane and their tech support.

My current PC runs on an 8700K at 4.7GHz, and I can run it with high settings with almost 40+fps in even demanding payware airports with heavy cloud cover. I think your PC will be able to run default X-Plane 11 just fine. My only advise will be get dual channel RAM.

2 hours ago, ninerwhiskey9W said:

My current PC runs on an 8700K at 4.7GHz, and I can run it with high settings with almost 40+fps in even demanding payware airports with heavy cloud cover. I think your PC will be able to run default X-Plane 11 just fine. My only advise will be get dual channel RAM.

That's good to hear and I'll look into dual channel ram. Thanks!

Get two 8GB modules for dual channel. I'd also recommend getting a 1080 GPU instead just for the extra 2GB VRAM. XP eats VRAM.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

What monitor resolution will you use? Big difference between aiming for 40 fps on 1080p vs. 4k.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Honestly you got to stretch the budget further, if you can. Aim for a top of the line CPU, noctua cooler and Nvidia graphics GPU. Overclock the CPU to 5ghz. You will thank me when you're coming in to land at the Big Apple and the place is buzzing with Ai traffic, cars, trucks and airport animations...

I'm running XP11.34 on a  i3-8100 with an old GTX960 card and 12gig DDR4 ram, I'm flying the Zibo 737, IXEG 737, Les Saab 340, JARA330(which is resource hungry), Ramzess B77-200LR and numerous Carenado aircraft. For weather I use Active Sky. I am not experiencing any stutters,lag or CTD. I think it's just a matter of getting the right interactions between parts - bigger doesn't necessarily mean best.

Steve

steve southey

3 hours ago, Greazer said:

Honestly you got to stretch the budget further, if you can. Aim for a top of the line CPU, noctua cooler and Nvidia graphics GPU. Overclock the CPU to 5ghz. You will thank me when you're coming in to land at the Big Apple and the place is buzzing with Ai traffic, cars, trucks and airport animations...

LOL...I hear you loud and clear! There's another computer that's twice as much and I've been eyeing that too...around $3,000...problem with that is I'd never leave the house...I'd be crying tears of joy 24 hours a day. I don't remember what the specs were but I know I wouldn't have to ask if it would run this or that...probably along the lines of a Cray Main Frame. I do have a NVidia GTX 1080 on the computer I have now...maybe I could see if they'd switch it out. Yea back to what you were talking about...those graphics...oh those graphics! Are you running something along the lines of what you suggested? Thanks...I'm seriously thinking along those lines.

18 minutes ago, JustanotherPilot said:

I'm running XP11.34 on a  i3-8100 with an old GTX960 card and 12gig DDR4 ram, I'm flying the Zibo 737, IXEG 737, Les Saab 340, JARA330(which is resource hungry), Ramzess B77-200LR and numerous Carenado aircraft. For weather I use Active Sky. I am not experiencing any stutters,lag or CTD. I think it's just a matter of getting the right interactions between parts - bigger doesn't necessarily mean best.

Steve

Hi Steve. Can I ask what your rendering settings are...texture wise? I have an intel i5 6300 and an NVidia GTX 1080 card and 16 GBs RAM...at medium settings and textures at high I'm getting 40 - 50 FPS at KJFK with real weather using FS GRW...just did a test and it's very cloudy...ceilings 2,500 ft and rain....just did this 10 minutes ago....default King Air C90....X Plane 10 though. Tried the Carenado Baron 58 and got around 30 - 40 FPS but get stutters when I pan around the cockpit...no stutters with the defaults. Tried the very high textures but got some stutters in the King Air when panning and looking around in the cockpit...Carenado's Baron is worse but got good FPS with both. Thanks.

Edited by Will273

4 hours ago, Paraffin said:

What monitor resolution will you use? Big difference between aiming for 40 fps on 1080p vs. 4k.

2560 x 1080 on a 36 inch ultra wide LG Monitor. It's pretty sweet.

18 minutes ago, Will273 said:

Hi Steve. Can I ask what your rendering settings are...texture wise? I have an intel i5 6300 and an NVidia GTX 1080 card and 16 GBs RAM...at medium settings and textures at high I'm getting 40 - 50 FPS at KJFK with real weather using FS GRW...just did a test and it's very cloudy...ceilings 2,500 ft and rain....just did this 10 minutes ago....default King Air C90....X Plane 10 though. Tried the Carenado Baron 58 and got around 30 - 40 FPS but get stutters when I pan around the cockpit...no stutters with the defaults. Tried the very high textures but got some stutters in the King Air when panning and looking around in the cockpit...Carenado's Baron is worse but got good FPS with both. Thanks.

27" AOC at 1920 x 1080 , settings are medium getting 30-40fps dropping to 20-30 in full cloudy weather but no stutters. Don't use any Nvidia tweaks.

steve southey

3 hours ago, Will273 said:

LOL...I hear you loud and clear! There's another computer that's twice as much and I've been eyeing that too...around $3,000...problem with that is I'd never leave the house...I'd be crying tears of joy 24 hours a day. I don't remember what the specs were but I know I wouldn't have to ask if it would run this or that...probably along the lines of a Cray Main Frame. I do have a NVidia GTX 1080 on the computer I have now...maybe I could see if they'd switch it out. Yea back to what you were talking about...those graphics...oh those graphics! Are you running something along the lines of what you suggested? Thanks...I'm seriously thinking along those lines.

Yea I built a new PC last year, it's pretty high end.  But even with that you cannot go crazy in the settings and turn everything up.  Especially reflections, it kills performance.

8 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Get two 8GB modules for dual channel. I'd also recommend getting a 1080 GPU instead just for the extra 2GB VRAM. XP eats VRAM.

Agreed.....8GB vram I'd say is what you want for XP11....especially with the newer aircraft addons (textures and more textures!)

I've got a 980 with 4GB...and the card is great for "regular" gaming at 1080P...but XP11 bogs down a lot still and the vram is maxed out basically every flight.

If you're on a budget I'd try the new RTX 1660 Ti - 6GB vram is the lowest I'd go (I love rich visuals though lol).  That card is shaping up to be a solid budget minded GPU

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

8 hours ago, JustanotherPilot said:

27" AOC at 1920 x 1080 , settings are medium getting 30-40fps dropping to 20-30 in full cloudy weather but no stutters. Don't use any Nvidia tweaks.

That sounds pretty good...thanks.

4 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Agreed.....8GB vram I'd say is what you want for XP11....especially with the newer aircraft addons (textures and more textures!)

I've got a 980 with 4GB...and the card is great for "regular" gaming at 1080P...but XP11 bogs down a lot still and the vram is maxed out basically every flight.

If you're on a budget I'd try the new RTX 1660 Ti - 6GB vram is the lowest I'd go (I love rich visuals though lol).  That card is shaping up to be a solid budget minded GPU

Ok....you're right...thanks for letting me know.