Sign in to follow this  
TvD

climat change

Just a question.
How is it that airliners still taxi from the gate to the active runway by them self instead of using towtrucks to set them of at the runway.

Would that not save a lot of fuell and contrbute to our climate?

My guess is resources.  They just have not invested in the infrastructure to do it and it may be cheaper not to. There are also safety and logistics issues to have to deal with.  Imagine the traffic jam of tow vehicles at very busy airports that may require new taxi ways, etc.  Its a bigger issue than meets the eye.  

• Like 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

And arguably, the tow trucks would have to make a return trip each time, not to mention waiting in line as the airplanes line up for departure..  :unsure:

• Like 2

Bert

The carbon emissions an airliner emits taxiing to the runway is negligible compare to what they are dumping into the stratosphere and 30-40 thousand feet.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Forget about towtrucks, they pollute also too much, have the passengers push the airplane to the runway and politicians in charge as traffic controllers 😂 

• Like 2

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Super idea! Let's wait till we get to the runway to find out the flight is scrubbed due to mechanical problems.

• Like 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Better still, install pedals at all seats so pax can provide the power to taxi!! Sell the idea to the pax as needed cardio-vascular exercise... :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I worked for major U.S. carriers for several years as the ATC rep/liaison to FAA. The idea has surfaced several times over the years,  but it just is not practical due to management, resources, coordination and many other reasons. The concept becomes overly complex and inefficient at major hubs like EWR, ORD and IAH. 

🤣🤣🤣

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

What would be the speed limit for a tow truck towing a big jet on the taxiways?

Dugald Walker

There is no such thing as climate change. Donald tRump said so.....go ahead and delete this mods.....I just had to say it..........Doug

Edited by W2DR
kant spel

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

There is no such thing as man made climate change.

There, fixed it for yah !

Good point. That's really what I meant. Thanks.................Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Sure there is. Inside the VAB  at Kennedy Space Center is its own micro-climate. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals