Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Beautiful Germany

Despite being an owner of all of Orbx's scenery I still tend to fly in my own home territory of the western United States.  But lately  have been flying in other Orbx regions.  Yesterday it was southern Germany.

I took off from the grass strip at Weimar Umpferstedt (EDOU) for a one hour flight to Durach (EDMK), another grass strip.

I flew over the hill country with lots of forested areas and many villages and towns and small rivers.  The scenery was very pretty and as I approached Durach the Alps slowly came into view.  It was one of the better flights I have chosen to fly outside my home territory.

Today I will fly in England.

I think flying low and slow from one 'insignificant' airport to another an hour away gives you a nicer feel for the country than flying from one international airport to another at 30,000 feet.

Of course I understand we all have our preferences for aircraft and flying environments and don't mean to criticize those for whom the technique of flying heavies long distances is attractive.  But I see few posts of low and slow sightseeing to take advantage of what Orbx has given us in the way of spectacular scenery.

Noel 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

In early September my wife and I are travelling to Germany with our best friends for a six week stay. We've traveled the world together and he also is a RW pilot. We're in the process of booking several low-and-slow flights over the southern Germany countryside. I can't wait to see how that compares to what I see in ORBX . I agree with you.....low and slow with ORBX is the only way to go.............Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I have been in Germany eight times since '77, the only European country I was in on all eight visits, other than Italy too.  I love the Germany countryside, especially the bright yellow rapeseed fields that add contrast to the green summer landscape there.  2017 was my last visit there.  I do not have room for ORBX but I love the default German scenery in Xplane11, it looks like what I have seen flying over the country, such as the flights I took between Frankfurt and Bologna Italy, Munich and Vienna, Vienna and Frankfurt, and Munich and Milan over the past four decades.  Our sims are now great at recreating real life Europe, or real life beauty of other continents as well, and in a fluid way performance wise even on a modest system like mine.  Orbx is well known for adding vibrancy to the areas it covers.

John

On 6/18/2019 at 4:50 PM, birdguy said:

Today I will fly in England.

id be careful of flying over or close to London this weekend, all the hipsters are at Glastonbury, plus its really hot at the moment, so  that means our new demographic youth like to get "blazed up" even more when the weathers warm, so the shootings and stabbings will be high this weekend because they wont have any iphones to steal from the hipsters that are at Glasto. 

The knivings are so prolific now in London and normal  the headline act at Glastonbury thought it would be cool to wear a stab vest.  The hipsters lapped it up. 

Id wait till it rains or cools down they normally stay in bed then.   "living the dream"    thanks Tony

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, fluffyflops said:

The knivings are so prolific now in London and normal  the headline act at Glastonbury thought it would be cool to wear a stab vest.  The hipsters lapped it up. 

I’ve been in Europe many times but never in London, but a friend of mine goes quite often to see family there and she says that London has really gone downhill and is nothing like what it was 15 years or longer ago. 

I was planning to go The Open in St Andrews in 2021 by way of London, but now considering just flying to Edinburgh and making my way to St Andrews from there and skipping London all together. 

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I’ve been in Europe many times but never in London, but a friend of mine goes quite often to see family there and she says that London has really gone downhill.....

I felt the same.  I have been in London twice, in 1984 and two years ago, in 2017, for a total of five nights spent there.  In '84 London was happy, vibrant, I sat just two rows away from Peter O'Toole and Margot Kidder performing in the play Pygmalion in London's west end, what a serendipitous moment in my life to bow before greatness, the man who played Lawrence of  Arabia so well with that movie's powerful and prophetic message. 

In 2017, I felt a different vibe in London.  I got there right after the Ariana Grande terrorist attack and right before the terrible apartment fire, which happened right after I left London to cross into France. When I flew home almost exactly two years ago, the limo driver who drove me from my Hotel Thistle-Euston to Heathrow showed me the burned out apartment complex, which a month earlier I had passed intact, so sad.

The vibe in London I felt was that it is too crowded, has become too multicultural.  I do not mean that in a bad sense, I accept all cultures and all races, I always have.  But when they come together too fast, it is like a cultural splitting of the atom, it was simply a more tense city than 1984.  But I see that coming to an end soon, I believe things will settle down in London, I am optimistic because those in Great Britain are reinventing themselves, it is the oldest Monarchy in the world next to Japan I believe, and they are just adjusting to Mid Life crisis and trying to wean themselves from an unreliable, and I emphasize, current, American administration because America is also going thru our mid life crisis as we near the 250th anniversary of the founding of our country.  I do not believe "Rome" i.e. the "Super Powers" will fall, I just do not sense that. 

I live in a dusty old part of my country, Arizona, because want to live far from foreign capitols and let them settle down and re-recognize their cultural contributions to our world, and modern aviation and tourism is helping with that.  My own daughter went suddenly to Mexico last week to see my beloved in laws in beautiful, Spanish tinged, colonial Zacatecas, a hidden gem of Spanish/American indigenous diversity. 

My ex wife told me our country's immigrant problems come from the border cities, where there is no work, those cities are there to attract US citizens exploiting the vices allowed in those cities, other than that there are no jobs.  Americans also go to those cities for cheaper medical care, but it is dangerous, my cousin's ex husband did that and lost his life, I was asked to intervene so he could be buried back in the US, since I have government connections that go back to my father's work in the government's nuclear energy and nuclear navy program.

I hold out hope for London and other cities going downhill because you and other good people have seen that they are going downhill, and people will respond to those they respect.

John

12 minutes ago, John_Cillis said:

The vibe in London I felt was that it is too crowded, has become too multicultural.  I do not mean that in a bad sense, I accept all cultures and all races, I always have.  But when they come together too fast, it is like a cultural splitting of the atom, it was simply a more tense city than 1984. 

That seems to be a problem in a lot of places that take in lot of “migrants” at a fast pace. When people from other cultures move to a new country with a different  culture without any intent of assimilation to the new culture it tends to create issues. When you have large groupes of people with different cultures living amoung one another and they’re all trying to make the new country like where they came from rather than assimilating to the culture of the new country, it tends to create a lot of animosity and divisions. Here in the states they always say that diversity is our strength but sometimes too much diversity with no common ground creates adversity and issues. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

27 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

That seems to be a problem in a lot of places that take in lot of “migrants” at a fast pace. When people from other cultures move to a new country with a different  culture without any intent of assimilation to the new culture it tends to create issues. When you have large groupes of people with different cultures living amoung one another and they’re all trying to make the new country like where they came from rather than assimilating to the culture of the new country, it tends to create a lot of animosity and divisions. Here in the states they always say that diversity is our strength but sometimes too much diversity with no common ground creates adversity and issues. 

A correct insight.  I have seen this in the workplace, working in Information technology many of my colleagues were from India, and they wanted their culture to be our work culture, rather than ours, they came to our companies with the idea they would be promoted into management and wanted to run things their way, but their style was abrupt, politically incorrect, and unacceptable in the IT workforce so many employers, not all, but many, sent them back to India, because they did not want to write software that delved into American cultural values, values of openness, ease of use with the employee, so the software would not be a roadblock in the employee's interaction with the customer.

That is what I have learned about cultural differences, there are two, essentially black and white approaches, and I have seen the harm it causes flight attendants and cabin crew in their interaction with their guests, especially on international flights.  There is the abrupt "I need this now" approach that comes from someone raised in a rough and tumble, financially starved environment like the third world, and there is the "Relax dude/dudette, I will help you if you learn to relax" mentality.  Sadly there seems to be less and less middle ground in customer/employee/developer communication anymore, our world is becoming one of psychobabble with programs like Seven Habits, Six Sigma, Agile, "Project Management" filled with tons and tons of reporting, and very little doing in terms of development, or employee training  How did I learn customer service?  Was I give a 666 page book to read on it?  No, they just said "John, there's a customer, sink or swim".

So I learned to just keep swimming, some do not....  So Sad, especially when it applies to our interests in travel, aviation, and tourism that is supposed to bring cultural understanding, or at least knowledge of how other cultures work...

Op ed over, thanks for your cordial reply, your replies always are!

John

1 hour ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I’ve been in Europe many times but never in London, but a friend of mine goes quite often to see family there and she says that London has really gone downhill and is nothing like what it was 15 years or longer ago. 

I was planning to go The Open in St Andrews in 2021 by way of London, but now considering just flying to Edinburgh and making my way to St Andrews from there and skipping London all together. 

good idea i i wouldnt go any where near it.  what month of the year is the Open ?

14ppkc-6.png

6 hours ago, John_Cillis said:

In 2017, I felt a different vibe in London.  I got there right after the Ariana Grande terrorist attack and right before the terrible apartment fire, which happened right after I left London to cross into France.

You do realise the attack at the Ariana Grande concert was in Manchester, not London, right?

London is not really any worse than any large city, you just have to be aware that there are no news reports which say things like 'breaking news: no stabbings have occurred'. The news reports give a very skewed view of what is occurring much of the time and news outlets want to report sensationalist stuff, not mundane things.

One of the best comments I've ever heard in relation to the question 'what can we do about the fear which is spreading owing to all the reports of terrorism we see on TV?' was simply 'Switch off the TV'.

To watch the news, you'd think that everyone was in constant danger of being involved in some kind of terrorist attack, but be honest, how many of you or any close members of your personal group of friends and family, have ever been involved in one of these incidents?

Now I can honestly tell you that my life was indeed personally threatened by a very famous terrorist organisation many years ago, but I don't go around living in constant fear of such things because that is exactly what terrorist organisations want us to do. It is their goal to disrupt things up to the point where Governments will give in to their demands, so the worst thing that you can do is help them to achieve that goal by giving in to the seeds of fear they are hoping to sew. 

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

From the beauty of german landscapes to a video posted by a notorious breitbart journalist, wow this thing went off rails quickly

The OP's topic was "avation" btw....

Yup, which is exactly why I posted that we shouldn't let sensationalist news reports affect our activities by imagining that they are some kind of barometer of what is going on everywhere.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I really wanted to make a comment about about things you see in current day Dallas Tx (or at least recent year) but it has been pointed out that this was about Germany so...

and have you ever been to Baltimore? but maybe its changed.

OK so also sightseeing...its pretty much the only way I fly and I dont have Orbx Germany becaus ei only do XPlane right now.

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

21 minutes ago, Woozie said:

From the beauty of german landscapes to a video posted by a notorious breitbart journalist, wow this thing went off rails quickly

The OP's topic was "avation" btw....

Removed the video as it contains inappropriate language.  OP's post was about "beautiful Germany" then he said he was going to fly to England.  The German countryside is beautiful and those who live there should be proud of the beauty in that country.  I personally like Bavaria (please note this is not a city).  Certainly believe the English countrysides are beautiful too.  Just stay out of the major cities in both countries....

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Orbx Germany (N & S) are really nice and detailed landclass products. 
I was pleasantly surprised by just how much detail was included in the industrial Rheinland (though some cities got a lot better treatment than others).

Definitely worth going 'low and slow' when the scenery merits it.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter