Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

Rift S users beware of w10 build 1903 (Oculus app software v1.38)

Ugh!!!..... Those are my feelings right now.

Just a heads up... For those of you with a rift S.

I don't have an older Oculus rift so I don't know if those are affected but I would assume those users might be if the Oculus app software is used for the cv1 headsets.

Anyways...

I purchased my rift S about 3 weeks ago and it has been superb and flawless. Install was easy and no noted problems with the device or any Oculus software.

I was tinkering with battlefield V and realized I couldn't use ray tracing technology because I was on an old w10 build. Build 1803 to be exact.

I checked for w10 updates and it said that I could update to build 1903. I'm like...sure why not. The update worked and I now had ray tracing in said game. I'm pumped!!! 

Well, the next day I go on a three day trip for work. When I get home, I want to play some DCS....in VR. 

Here's where things start to get stupid.

I start the Oculus app and it says that the Oculus service can't be reached. It says to either restart my computer or repair the software.

I chose to restart. Problem still exists. I then repaired the app. Problem still exists. 

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Oculus app. Problem still exists. 

I tried to manually start the Oculus OVR service. Windows can't start it. Always throws an error.

The ovrservuce logs says windows is denying access and the service can't start.

I go through the motions of uninstalling and reinstalling the Oculus app but guess what!!!! 

I CANT EVEN INSTSLL THE APP ANYMORE.

Why you ask? Because at the very end of the installation, the program is trying to start to OVR service ..which it can't because windows won't allow the service to start. 

So.... I decided to roll back windows to build 1803. Problem solved, Oculus app runs flawlessly.

Hhmmm....I says to myself. 

So I update windows to build 1903. Again...

Oculus software doesn't work. Same problem as before.

I roll back windows...Oculus works, I update windows, Oculus gives me the middle finger. At this point I'm sticking with build 1903 because I want ray tracing and because I spent a ton of money on a 2080ti. I'm going to have ray tracing darn it!!!

So....I dive into the Oculus folder and see a support fold and in that folder, I see a runtime folder. Remember, I already tried manually starting the OVRservice with zero luck under the 1903 build so I'm not going to bother trying that again. 

But, I see another .exe file by the name of OVRServer_x64. I got curious and clicked on it. 

A blwck screen comes up (like when you update PMDG airplanes) and all the text is flying by with colored text and what not. I'm mesmerized by my computer computing things. 

Well, I minimized that black screen window and then clicked on the Oculus app shortcut on my desktop....ya know...just to see if the thing would decide to work. Holy cow....the Oculus app worked. No issues. 

I Closed the ovrserver_x64 window and closed Oculus app.

Tried opening the Oculus app by itself and the same old problem surfaced...couldn't reach the Oculus service. 

After about 10 minutes if testing, I found a workaround to my issue.

If anyone is on w10 build 1903 and is having issues with their Oculus app saying it can't reach the Oculus service, don't restart your computer, don't repair the app and don't install the March 2018 Oculus patch.

Just start the OVRServer_x64.exe file first. Then minimize the window it creates and THEN start your Oculus app.

This method has worked 100% of the time for me.

As stated in the topic title, I have v1.38 installed. I don't know if earlier versions have this issue.

Edited by ahsmatt7

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I've heard of people having issues, but so far I seem to be avoiding the ones you mentioned

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

15 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I've heard of people having issues, but so far I seem to be avoiding the ones you mentioned

Good to hear. I was on the Oculus forums and posts about not being able to install the app are starting to surface. Interesting stuff. Glad I got it working again.

Matt kubanda

27 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Good to hear. I was on the Oculus forums and posts about not being able to install the app are starting to surface. Interesting stuff. Glad I got it working again.

https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/#faq_217157135500529

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

19 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Yeah I tired that lol. It never worked. There are some users who are reporting the same issue.....it doesn't work.

I am very surprised to see how many people are having issues and the longevity of issues with Oculus software...

Edited by ahsmatt7

Matt kubanda