Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

Why Xbox Game Pass is Good for Flight Simulators

How this game pass (theory of what is best/good for flight simulation) affects our wonderful 3rd parties was never mentioned in the article. Surely this should be a huge part of the article because 3PP are a huge part of flight simulation. LM and LR both totally agree and they have succeeded quite well.  

Another notable is; what is VentureBeat, and where has its interest in flight simulation been since its inception? Suddenly they are an authority as to what is best for us?🧐

I personally don't think this attempt at melding flight simmers and gamers will work. It is not that flight simmers are not willing, it is that gamers (and NVidia and a host of others) are not willing.

Flight simmers were left to die so-to-speak, simply because we require realism, and to accomplish this, especially in a flight simulator, is a very difficult thing to do. Even though we did not expect miracles, all we wanted was progress toward realism. To them we were and still are unreasonable. Their games keep getting better and better, and we were going backwards.

This article portrays a closed sim, and if it is a closed sim, it may stay on their game server (like DTG Flight School stays on steam), but it will be total waste of server space and an even worse waste of development time and effort....no company dictates to flight simmers how to sim, we will have it our way, I hope MS remembers/knows this.

I personally don't (would not) have time for other products on game pass, I'm too busy flying. And gamers will not have time for MSFS, they are busy gaming. 👨‍🏫👨‍🎓🖖 

Edited by pracines

1 hour ago, ca_metal said:

I think you don't know how the Game Pass works, nor Microsoft policies. 

But I do know what "exclusive" and "premiere" means, and Microsoft says in the official press release

The Xbox E3 Briefing also marked a celebration of 37 PC games, including “Microsoft Flight Simulator” and “Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition,” both of which will premiere in Xbox Game Pass for PC.

All forthcoming titles from Xbox Game Studios will premiere in Xbox Game Pass.

That means, MSFS will be on GamePass first, no matter what. IMHO, if it may be available in any other way at a later date is the part that remains to be seen, not the other way around.

https://news.microsoft.com/2019/06/09/xbox-showcases-60-anticipated-games-including-34-to-premiere-in-xbox-game-pass/

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

But I do know what "exclusive" and "premiere" means, and Microsoft says in the official press release

That means, MSFS will be on GamePass first, no matter what. IMHO, if it may be available in any other way at a later date is the part that remains to be seen, not the other way around.

https://news.microsoft.com/2019/06/09/xbox-showcases-60-anticipated-games-including-34-to-premiere-in-xbox-game-pass/

Best regards

Again, I think you are misunderstanding what those words mean for Microsoft and their Advertising Campaigns.

Exclusive means they are not releasing it for the other platforms (Nintendo Switch, Sony Playstation), it will be exclusive to their platforms (Windows 10 and Xbox). They do that all the time, with all their games, trust me, it's just marketing to make it clear their competitors won't get it, at least for a while.

Premiere means they will be available on the Game Pass library on day one of their releases. It was common to release on their store first and make it available through Games Pass on a later date.

It's been like that until now, there's no reason they would change that just for the Flight Simulator. 

Edited by ca_metal

1 minute ago, ca_metal said:

there's no reason they would change that just for the Flight Simulator. 

No, not just for flight simulator. The scope is much larger than that single title. But for the sake of GamePass PC, which has been in beta all this time. From what I understood these announcements are launch titles for the final implementation next year, to kick off the full service on a grand scale. Placed at the E3 this year to keep people interested and on the edge, and maybe get a few subscriptions "in anticipation" too. All I am saying is, that we only know for sure that MSFS will be on GamePass subscription. What-ever and where-ever else it may be available remains to be seen.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

4 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

No, not just for flight simulator. The scope is much larger than that single title. But for the sake of GamePass PC, which has been in beta all this time. From what I understood these announcements are launch titles for the final implementation next year, to kick off the full service on a grand scale. Placed at the E3 this year to keep people interested and on the edge, and maybe get a few subscriptions "in anticipation" too. All I am saying is, that we only know for sure that MSFS will be on GamePass subscription. What-ever and where-ever else it may be available remains to be seen.

Best regards

Game Pass has just released for PC, but it's been a while since it was released for Xbox. What I'm saying is, everytime they said a game would be exclusive, it meant there wouldn't be any release for the competitors' platforms (Nintendo and Sony). 

And all the games they announced would premiere on the Game Pass meant they were releasing it for purchase through their store and at the same time the Game Pass subscribers would have access. You always had the choice to buy it on day one at their Microsoft Store, for all the games. 

There are some lines said by Phil Spencer lately that he wants to expand the ways you use/acquire their games. By buying on their own stores, other stores or subscribing their Game Pass.

I'm just saying what they are aiming for the future and how things work until this point. And he didn't saying anything pointing to a change on those policies.

I'm really (make that REALLY, REALLY !) excited by this new MS Flight SIM, and have found many of the comments here stuck in an historical past. 

Like a monkey with their hand tightly holding a nut inside a jar chained to a stake in the ground in the past, they just cannot bring themselves to let go of the nut, and break free from the past they are so fixated on. 

There seems a fixation that if the word "game" is mentioned wrt to simulation, then AUTOMATICALLY, the  calculus HAS to be that the simulation and the physics underpinning it, can be discounted as a TOY... mere children's stuff to be dismissed with adult contempt. 

My opinion is this attitude is a HUGE mistake which is not realizing that computer hardware and software is entering a new GOLDEN AGE of hitherto only dreamed-of possibilities! 

This evolution has been gathering pace for several years now, but now the future is arriving in spectacular fashion. And sooner than later. 

There's real commercial value in having a single properly-modelled authentic Planet Earth (weather, seasons, geography, cities, everything!) that can do duty for MANY different games and simulations. Flight Sims would be just ONE example feeding off this common resource. 

My point is that Microsoft is a company that could easily see this value and put real effort into developing a "world" that completely blows away all previous efforts. They are not the only company to see the potential of leveraging this. Google is another titan in this field. 

My hope is that the current flight sim market is going to be completely upended by this new competitor, and that the days of needing expensive graphics cards and high end gaming pc's are going to be seriously disrupted by cheap affordable computing from the cloud. 

As a point of interest, some of you may find the following excerpt from the recent launch of the latest Archicad 23 program.  This has got little to do with flying per se, but what is of interest is the latest use of the Unreal gaming engine to deliver high quality rendering on the fly to even old laptop computers by streaming. 

Have a look on YouTube (from about the 1hr 10s point).  Google "Archicad 23 World Premier" for the link.

Everything else in this video will probably be boring for people not interested in this type of program. But this part in the video I found riveting (OK, that's just me, and probably not too many here?) 

The visuals, and the smooth delivery are simply stunning. And will be available FREE to Archicad customers this coming September.  So the future is arriving. 

Pretty sure Microsoft is not skipping these technical breakthroughs at all. And yay, we get to benefit! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

^^ whoa! -- This -- All of it ^^

Love it - love the optimism and open mindedness - just love it..

The potential for a paradigm shift and usages across genres is immense.  

Spot on post!!

Edited by irrics

VIdeo looks good.  I've been wondering about similar possibilities with the world created for the new flight sim.  Thanks for posting that.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I was a Game Pass naysayer at first, totally opposed to renting games. But after trying the 3 month deal for $1 on Xbox a few months back I'm sold on the idea. I get to try so many games I would have never bought before. But it's sort of like Netflix - games can leave when you're in the middle of playing one. Also the DLC usually isn't included, so for Flight Simulator we might get the base game on Game Pass with no DLC at all. So you'll still end up buying add-ons for it, but you don't own the game and once your subscription runs out you've got worthless DLC unless you buy the game or keep subscribing. It will be interesting to see if they control the DLC like they did with Flight or allow 3rd party devs to sell DLC on the platform.

@Redline65

Good points and valid concerns..

I find myself overall less worried about the costs as it's sort of astounding how much you can end up spending on FS anyhow - and most all of it ends up needing updates and new expenditures when a new major Sim version releases, and dealing with keeping track of where you bought when and what and the license keys and getting the installed updates working correctly - on and on, etc..

It just all seems like the money is getting spent anyhow, and it's really just about how and when and to whom and the process.  

I'd love all of it be so much simpler if possible.

Edited by irrics

In relation to the OP rather than the rest of the discussion, I hadn’t thought about it like that before and it’s definitely an interesting view. Subscription models do seem to be the way everything is going though. At the moment I’m subscribed to Netflix, amazon prime, Origin, ms game pass and adobe and I really like doing it like that. I do appreciate that I have a fair amount of monthly  though and I wonder what effect these models will have on access to some of these products to less well off demographics. 

I used to have 100s of LP's and then 100s of CD's.  Now, I have none of either.  My entire music collection is now rented from Google Play which can be played from just about anywhere and I can add any new piece of music whenever I want.  I can also find it easier than I ever could with a bunch of physical LP's or CD's.

So, I'm OK with this model if they go that way.

• Like 2

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Since I don't play any other games, an Xbox pass is quite meaningless. I'd rather pay once and download the base software. Combined, all these monthly subscriptions can get pretty expensive after a while. Before I bought Photoshop and Office and used the same version for 5-6 years, and I probably used FSX for 10 years (glad I didn't have to play monthly for those ten years).

• Like 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!