Sign in to follow this  
markgixer6

Carenado C90 GTX King Air - Alternatives?

Hi, 

Looking to expand my current aircraft in P3dv4.5. I already have the PMDG 747, TFDI717, A2A Bonanza and am looking primarily for a twin prop vfr aircraft to compliment my virtual hangar. The Carenado gets decent reviews and I think it ticks a lot of boxes but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking similar aircraft that maybe I should be considering. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. 

Regards Mark

Edited by markgixer6

It's a piston twin, but the Milviz Cessna 310R is worthy of consideration, too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I am afraid that you are going to be disappointed with the C90 GTX, unless you happen to own the GTN 750 package (Flight1 or RXP).

Carenado is known for its good looking planes, and buggy avionics, which makes for a poor combination, in light of the airplanes you currently have in your hangar.

The Flight1 King Air might be worth a look.. :cool:

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=f1b200fsx

or the Vertx DA62

https://vertxsim.com/

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

Thanks Mace, I'll definitely take a look at the Milviz. Thank you Bert I'll have a look at your suggestions as well. Incidentally, I do have the RXP GTN 750 as I bought this for the Bonanza. With this being the case, would you recommend the C90 GTX over the Flight 1 King Air and the Vertx DA62? 

PS - I also have a Navigraph subscription if that matters. 

Edited by markgixer6

16 minutes ago, markgixer6 said:

Thanks Mace, I'll definitely take a look at the Milviz. Thank you Bert I'll have a look at your suggestions as well. Incidentally, I do have the RXP GTN 750 as I bought this for the Bonanza. With this being the case, would you recommend the C90 GTX over the Flight 1 King Air and the Vertx DA62? 

PS - I also have a Navigraph subscription if that matters. 

OK, that gives you more options :smile:

The community has developed GTN mods and enhancements for a whole list of Carenado planes.

The Flight1 King Air and Vertx DA62 are complete, out of the box.. no fixing required.

I quite like my C90GTX with a GTN mod.. but there is also the PC12 or C421.. etc

Have a look here:

https://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=54606&title=gtn-750-in-c90-gtx

If you do get a Carenado plane, check out the user mods (send me a PM) :wink:

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

53 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

The community has developed GTN mods and enhancements for a whole list of Carenado planes.

The Flight1 King Air and Vertx DA62 are complete, out of the box.. no fixing required.

I quite like my C90GTX with a GTN mod.. but there is also the PC12 or C421.. etc

Have a look here:

https://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=54606&title=gtn-750-in-c90-gtx

Some really good looking options there! I like the look of both the C310R and the C421. Having said that, the C90 King Air panel looks fantastic with the GTN 750. Are there any known glitches/issues with the mod Bert?

The Flight1 King Air looks very good as well, but can the GTN 750 be used in that plane? On watching a YouTube review of it, it might be a bit too realistic and complex for what I'm looking for (a relatively quick and easy plane to hop in and fly VFR or short ILS flights). Not sure I can be bothered to learn a study class version of the G1000 at this point. The Flight1 is a little pricey as well compared to the Carenado.

Edited by markgixer6

11 minutes ago, markgixer6 said:

Some really good looking options there! I like the look of both the C310R and the C421. Having said that, the C90 King Air panel looks fantastic with the GTN 750. Are there any known glitches/issues with the mod Bert?

The Flight1 King Air looks very good as well, but can the GTN 750 be used in that plane? On watching a YouTube review of it, it might be a bit too realistic and complex for what I'm looking for (a relatively quick and easy plane to hop in and fly VFR or short ILS flights). Not sure I can be bothered to learn a study class very of the G1000 at this point. The Flight1 is a little pricey as well compared to the Carenado.

Any of these airplanes will "do the job", but the Flight1 King Air has it's own custom G1000 avionics, which do not work with a GTN 750.. so you may well be perfectly happy with the C90 GTX.

Known issues... the GTN has been shoehorned into a Collins gauge surround, but if that does not bother you, no.. it works just fine  :smile:

Just to throw you off.. if you are looking for a quick and easy plane.. look at the Carenado/Alabeo Seminole.  Modern trainer, great looking cockpit, GTN 750 compatible..

https://www.simforums.com/forums/f1-g600-in-seminole_topic59493.html

ps Screenshot includes optional G600.. a steam gauge option is standard.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

Agree with any recommendations for the Milviz 310R or BE55 Baron,  Beyond those If you are interested in a very good, higher flying fast twin and not rooted in glass panel avionics, the original Carenado C90 King Air is really good, but the best upgraded avionics I am aware of is the Reality XP GNS v2 series.  I recently licensed the Carenado DA62 and am disappointed in the G1000 implementation, even with another user's very good GTN750 modification.  Just setting the altimeter is a pain!  But the rest of the Carenado G1000-based offerings follow suit!

My go to high fast twin is still the Real Air Turbine Duke v2, but sadly it is no longer available.  Wish someone would work out a deal to take it under the wing.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

MilViz Cessna 310R is super nice! 🙂

Vertx DA62 is real nice and has G1000 in it.

Flysimware has a real nice Cessna 441 Conquest II turboprop that can use the GTN750.

• Like 1

I don't have lot's of planes but I do like my 310R with these modifications.

[flight_tuning]
p_factor_on_yaw   = 1.0  //p_factor_on_yaw  = -0.3
torque_on_roll       = 1.0  //torque_on_roll   = 0.3

[GeneralEngineData]
Engine.0 = 6.5, -0.5, 0.0  //Engine.0 = 6.5, -5.8, 0.0
Engine.1 = 6.5,  0.5, 0.0  //Engine.1 = 6.5,  6.2, 0.0

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

21 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Have a look here:

Thanks all I'm impressed with the responses. I'd like to clarify something around the Milviz. Are we talking about the original C310R, or the newer 'Redux' version? Which one is best (or is that another can of worms)? You know, I must have half a dozen PC/PS4 games I've never installed, let alone played, not sure why I'm deliberating so much over one plane purchase. Anyway, I know the one after this will be the Majestic Dash 8 Q400 (although I don't know whether to go pilot or pro version lol).

45 minutes ago, markgixer6 said:

Thanks all I'm impressed with the responses. I'd like to clarify something around the Milviz. Are we talking about the original C310R, or the newer 'Redux' version? Which one is best (or is that another can of worms)?

Definitely the 310R Redux.  It's the same FDE, but with much upgraded textures, the Milviz/Rex wx radar and full support for GNS or GTN GPS's.

Scott

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@markgixer6FYI, the Alabeo 310R has the better/more realistic FDE and of course the nicer textures. 

That said, comparing the C90 and the 310 is means comparing apples and oranges. For VFR flying the C90 is IMO more suitable,  not at least due to the much better visibility from the VC! 

The engine nacelles and the main tanks are considerable obstructing the view in the 310.

Furthermore the aircraft performance difference between a piston twin and a turboprop is like day and night.  

• Like 1