Sign in to follow this  
GeoSkyman

All about AZURE

4 hours ago, TravelRunner404 said:

Ugh this is patently false. For one I can stream around 3D Paris or London just fine on my iPhone, far from a “high end” system. You have been able to do this for years and I can also force stream a 4K video on YouTube just fine. No log. No stutter. What’s my iPhone processor/GPU equivalent to a desktop?

Streaming as part of gaming is coming. It’s just a matter of time. If you don’t understand something being afraid of what you’ll “lose” and then pushing false or misleading facts about it seems silly. 

You know all those times people have scenery load issues in the sim?  You know.. with that 6 Gb/s transfer rate of a SATA III SSD?

Edited by WarpD

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

8 minutes ago, WarpD said:

You know all those times people have scenery load issues in the sim?  You know.. with that 6 Gb/s transfer rate of a SATA III SSD?

Hang on. The root cause of the lag in scenery in P3D is the '000s of bgl files that need to be read. Needs fast SSD read speeds and processor power to interpret the data and then display in an antiquated game engine.
Hopefully, the new sim will negate that issue by using internet streaming of scenery content (a supposition on my part).

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

So... you equate using streaming as there being no files, no indexing, no loading??

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I am all for this. I don't need to install the entire world on my PC in a low compromised detail so they can cram it in a smaller installation package. I would much rather pay a subscription to have access to 2 petabytes of satellite data that I can stream what I want, where I want and when I need it. This makes far more sense to me.

I would like the core software installed locally and continue third party aircraft and utilities, perhaps airports can be purchased and installed locally as well. As for the rest of the world that can stay up on a cloud, that concept is awesome if you ask me.

• Like 4

Matthew Kane

50 minutes ago, WarpD said:

So... you equate using streaming as there being no files, no indexing, no loading??

No, of course not. But I feel that you have assumed that it will be done using similar methods to what we have now.

The (supposed) future of gaming is on any device. Game data is to be computed and then piped to the gamer without the need of bleeding edge powerful CPUs, GPUs and drive space that can hold the entire internet.

Whether it works or not is to be seen. However, the two largest software companies are going all-out with this.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

19 hours ago, SolRayz said:

Everything is going to the cloud and eventually I will become a Luddite.

Kodak laughed at the clunky Digital Cameras of the 90's. Blockbuster laughed at Netflix. Big media laughed at Youtube. The cloud is the same, in IT, A+ certs are almost meaningless now, AWS and Azure competencies are what businesses are looking for. Its a case of getting in early or playing catch up when everyone else is far ahead.

• Upvote 2

The internet is not even remotely reliable enough for the majority of customers to support this concept.  I live in a major city and still see bandwidth issues on broadband cable.  Fiber optic is not being brought to older, lower income areas of anywhere and cable is only as far as the company has convinced some poor soul to pay for them to hang the wires.  In short... in the U.S. this is not going to be a successful approach for a product.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

1 hour ago, WarpD said:

The internet is not even remotely reliable enough for the majority of customers to support this concept.  I live in a major city and still see bandwidth issues on broadband cable.  Fiber optic is not being brought to older, lower income areas of anywhere and cable is only as far as the company has convinced some poor soul to pay for them to hang the wires.  In short... in the U.S. this is not going to be a successful approach for a product.

Just like digital cameras were not even remotely taking similar quality pics at the beginning? I believe you are missing the point. The point is that the cloud is the direction gaming is moving, not that the cloud can support gaming yet right now... The day when the cloud fully support gaming might be 10 years from now, but we can see that that day is coming.

1 hour ago, WarpD said:

In short... in the U.S. this is not going to be a successful approach for a product.

"I can state flatly that heavier than air flying machines are impossible." Lord Kelvin, 1895

It may not be all that bad man. Even HD TV took a few years to sort out. I don’t think anyone would blame someone for not being an earlier adopter and I don’t doubt that if MSFS is the future it will have teething issues and it may take a couple years to be the dream. It may fail, but good or bad believing in progress is how you got FSX in the first place. We are all guessing and speculating but doing it with a open minded and an inquisitive approach is more productive as a community in my opinion.  No need to draw battle lines in the sand on day 3. 

• Like 1

There have been reports that Sony have been talking to Microsoft about putting there streaming service on cloud for the new Play Station. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

11 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

I would like the core software installed locally and continue third party aircraft and utilities, perhaps airports can be purchased and installed locally as well. As for the rest of the world that can stay up on a cloud, that concept is awesome if you ask me.

Sounds like a good compromise to me. 

Even better would be if you could download scenery according to your flightplan locally, and keep it there for as long as you want. I've probably just covered 2-3% of the globe while flying in the sim, so there's really no need to have the whole world installed. 

• Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

8 hours ago, simmerhead said:

I've probably just covered 2-3% of the globe while flying in the sim, so there's really no need to have the whole world installed. 

Agreed. Although I readily admit I haven’t flown in more places simply due to the lack of great scenery.

If it’s all available and looks amazing, I’m way more likely to check it out, especially if I can trust that it’s out the window real world accurate in look and feel. 

That would mean that at the minimum I could grab a real VFR chart and go explore based upon what I’m seeing. 

On 6/12/2019 at 10:55 PM, bonchie said:

Here's the reality.

We either go to the cloud or we never move forward. You simply can't put 2,000TB on your home PC anymore than you can put Netflix's entire library on your shelf.

A beer for this gentleman please.

• Upvote 2

Eric 

500...400...300...200...100...50...40...30...buffering...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric 

3 minutes ago, B777ER said:

500...400...300...200...100...50...40...30...buffering...

lol

Hopefully they do some local caching.  It'd be even cooler, as mentioned by others around here, if you could have it pre-cache your flight plan path (as one option)