Sign in to follow this  
flytrumpet767

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3 - Updated Information

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

And.. for some of us, this will mean having to move to Windows 10 from Windows 7..

Just to try a new sim..  Just pause and think about that for a minute..  :unsure:

I made the switch about 3 months ago. I would say the experience has been good and I dont use much of the bells and whistles. Heck, with Windows 10 my desktop is ready to go before my monitor goes through its splash screen and pops up. Trust me, I loved Windows 7, I thought I was going to ride it to the end but even hardware is moving on from it. 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

22 minutes ago, Murmur said:

In light of the news, it's end of game for P3D (in terms of usage by simmers), unless v5 will use the same engine of MSFS2020. And also X-Plane will recede back in its market share as it was before v11.

Maybe, but ignoring even the issue of how many detailed airports will be there, think about how long it will take to build out the fleet of aircraft people like to fly in FSX/P3D and XP11. Everybody has their favorites, and they're not going to magically appear in the new MSFS.

If the new sim is a success, then great! I'll migrate along with everyone else. But here's what I fly now, most of the time:

The main ones:

PC-12
Bell 412 helicopter

Others flown on occasion:

DC-3
Beech 18
DHC-2 Beaver
DHC-6 Twin Otter
Bell 429

I love those aircraft. That's how I like to fly. And I know everyone here has their favorites too, especially the tubeliner sim pilots.

I'm not going to switch platforms completely just because the scenery is nice. There is a TBM 930 and a Caravan shown in the trailer, so that covers a little of that list, but it's going to take a loooong time to build out the others with 3rd party add-ons. And meanwhile I'll still be rooting for this to be successful while waiting to see how it develops. 

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

2 hours ago, devgrp said:

I guess all the people who wanted this to fail doesnt have anything to say now? we finally have a chance to get a new updated sim and people are up in arms about it. Isnt this want we always wanted? lmao

I heard that some particular simmers are 'loyal' to LM and will stick to P3D, lol.

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

When FSX was first released, AVSIM was the main site watched by the Microsoft Aces team members.  They posted here a lot and also mentioned topics and posts in the lead developers web page.  But it does not mean it will continue.

It does seem that they are reading comments from the Community, and if not from here then where?  Points 1 to 3 seem to be high level answers to the most talkabout issues in this forum.

1. We are making Microsoft Flight Simulator. Emphasis on the word SIMULATOR.
2. Designed for PC, optimized for multiplatform support (e.g. Xbox).
3. Yes. We are supporting 3rd Party Content Development and Community Content creation. We are aware of the concerns in the current eco-system and are working to address them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lets all hope for this scenario (which looks to be playing out):

The King is dead, Long Live the King!

• Like 2

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

My level of excitement just hit Summer of 2006 level when I would wait everyday for new FSX screens to be released. I know they said august we will get more but It wont stop me from scrambling to my PC to check the internets every day after work to check for new news. Oh wait, we have smart phones now, I can check whenever.. 🤣

• Like 4

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

1 hour ago, kingm56 said:

It took 1 sec to view your YouTube page to understand the impetus of your comment; as an obvious Xplane fan, the notion of MS returning to a genera they dominated for 4 decades threatens the investments (time/money) you've made.  If MS comments are true, you can bet Xplane's market share will retract; they simply don't have the resources to compete with MS.  I'm not suggesting they'll disappear; after all, they've coexisted with MSFS for 3 decades. However, the realistic notion of Xplane capturing the majority of the market and enticing key third party developers was quickly squashed with MS E3 announcements.  I suspect when MSFS enters the market, developers will shift focus to this platform as it has the potential to attract a significant audience. Xplane will once again be eclipsed by MS shadow; in short, we're returning to the simulation environment of the 90s/2000s...I know that causes many consternation and is the genesis of comments like yours...          

MSFS will never eclipse XP in flight modeling. That was developed by genius Austin Meyer and has been tested, tuned and tweaked over decades. It is as real as real - something I cannot even explain to the uninitiated.

If (big If) MS come up with a half way decent flight model I would be interested. Eye candy is definitely a seller. I will always have XP, but having 2 simulators and switching between them is conceivable.

I am not anti MS. I was originally at Avsim since FS2004 days. Were you? I remember all about the previous MS community guy, Mike aka taildragger. And of course the infamous DX10 screenshot, that turned out to be artwork. And then getting a new rig for FSX and getting like 5 fps at KSEA lol. I gave up flight simulator for about 9 years but XP brought me back.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

3rd party development, excellent news indeed.

Cheers, Rob

Nice to see you back Rob. It's going to be a fun ride!

• Upvote 1

The updated information is indeed the best news and I like that they refer to "previous missteps". I hope this means that 3rd party developers will not face the FSW type of problems that will prohibit them to join and flourish in the new platform. 

However, the million dollar question for me is what happens with addons compatibility. What happens with all these add-on aircraft/sceneries/utilities for which we have paid big money in Prepar3D, and I'm refering mainly to aircraft and airports, as regional scenery seems it won't be needed in MSFS.

The aircraft/airport sceneries that we have in P3D have their roots in FSX code, but I guess these developers if they join will release new versions for the new MSFS. So we will have to re-pay all these again? That's a big loss for me which I don't know if I can afford, I guess many will also not afford. 

For the same reason I'm planning to freeze all my Prepar3D/X-Plane purchases until I know more about what the future of 3rd party and Microsoft is and as time moves on, we will have to start asking this question to the developers and get an honest reply. That's the biggest question and the biggest problem for me. A transition cost will be too expensive.

If Microsoft is an absolute success and a welcome environment for 3rd party, like it was FSX, then the next big questions is how LM and X-Plane will follow. Will they have a separate defined role to play or MSFS will shallow these platforms in the end?

Edited by Daedalus

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

22 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

And.. for some of us, this will mean having to move to Windows 10 from Windows 7..

Just to try a new sim..  Just pause and think about that for a minute..  :unsure:

I'm thinking about it, and I'm hoping this new product will convince all the sim pilots using XP and Win7 to switch to Win10. Because that's good for the entire community, not just you.

Old OS versions without current updates are vulnerable to low-level malware attacks that can't be blocked with antivirus software. Your machine can become a malware server that affects everyone else. It's what happened with XP computers in the European attacks that shut down hospitals in 2017. It just happened again in Baltimore, where the city computers running XP were taken over.

Win7 will become the next malware target when MS drops support. You have a target on your back if you use an unsupported OS. Upgrade to Win10 not just for your own ability to run the latest software like this new flight sim, but because it's the right thing to do as a responsible computer user.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

3 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

If Microsoft is an absolute success and a 3rd party welcome environment like it was FSX, then there are big questions about how LM and X-Plane will follow. 

I don't think that this will bother LM in the least. X-Plane is a different story altogether although my guess is that it would push them to develop their product even further. Competition is never a bad thing.

• Upvote 2

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

2 hours ago, strider1 said:

🙄 So you were reading, decided to stop reading so you can post here, then you finished reading and posted again 🤣

Silly in hindsight, but at the time I had opened the link and didn't know if it was multiple pages long.

Oh oh...Things seem to be coming out rather in the right direction for me ( 3rd party development)...Wait and see.

Richard

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

To the question of using current add ons, I hope not. I'm all for a completely new, optimised simulator core. It's time to move on and experience a new era. 

• Like 10
  • Upvote 11

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

24 minutes ago, Greazer said:

MSFS will never eclipse XP in flight modeling. That was developed by genius Austin Meyer and has been tested, tuned and tweaked over decades. It is as real as real - something I cannot even explain to the uninitiated.

If (big If) MS come up with a half way decent flight model I would be interested. Eye candy is definitely a seller. I will always have XP, but having 2 simulators and switching between them is conceivable.

I am not anti MS. I was originally at Avsim since FS2004 days. Were you? I remember all about the previous MS community guy, Mike aka taildragger. And of course the infamous DX10 screenshot, that turned out to be artwork. And then getting a new rig for FSX and getting like 5 fps at KSEA lol. I gave up flight simulator for about 9 years but XP brought me back.

so you're basically saying Austin is the only developer who can code a realistic flight model? smh

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2