Sign in to follow this  
flytrumpet767

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3 - Updated Information

12 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

Difference between LM and MS is that MS is a dedicated software company. The flight sim team over at MS can draw on massive internal resources, decades of R&D and access technology exclusive to MS. In terms of software development MS have synergies like few other company in the world.  

I don't really see how I benefit from smaller developers being more dedicated, agile or responsive as long as they don't create a product that I want or need. Yes, MS has burned us in the past, and they probably will again, but their apology sounds sincere, and here they are with the greatest looking screenshots and trailer in flight simulation history. 

Erm... You are aware that Microsoft also does hardware? Mice, keyboards, web cams, PC's headsets, gaming controls, consoles, as well as a huge range of software, servers, etc. Gaming, is just a small part of MS. (11.5 billion dollars, out of $1Trillion..

-Xbox Live now has 64 million monthly active users across Xbox, Windows 10 and Smartphones.

-Quarterly gaming revenue for the quarter ending Dec 31st 2018 was up 8% YoY to $4.23 billion.

-Yearly revenue in 2018 was 11.5 billion dollars,up 23% YoY.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

2 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

You are aware that Microsoft also does hardware?

Not really suitable for a hardcore simming crowd tho.

Edited by ErichB

3 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

It makes it quite hopeless for any party to offer support with a myriad of addons installed... 

If I recall, I could be mistaken, MS, in the past, did not offer support with FS2004 & FSX? 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

6 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Not really suitable for a hardcore simming crowd tho.

Nope, they go for the masses, the so-called minimal hard core simming crowd go for the far smaller niche suppliers.

Edited by Wobbie

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

11 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Erm... You are aware that Microsoft also does hardware? Mice, keyboards, web cams, PC's headsets, gaming controls, consoles, as well as a huge range of software, servers, etc. Gaming, is just a small part of MS. (11.5 billion dollars, out of $1Trillion..

I am, but I don't get your point. It's all part of the same value chain. The hardware helps Microsoft sell software, and help customers operate it, and vice versa.

Flight Simulator is a small part of the overall business, but it helps Microsoft sell Windows 10, DX12, Xbox etc. And you also see how Microsoft's flight sim development draws from other areas of MS, like Azure AI, map/satellite technology, cloud/server computing etc. 

Edited by simmerhead
  • Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Really exciting news...

My big wishes about the sim;

- have 60 FPS on 4k in all weather conditions.

- that the new airports, airplanes, etc  from 3rd party content will not sink the FPS. ( I know I'm dreaming) but... I hope so there new technologies can do that

- No stuttering at all.

I'm really happy they are back with a new SIMULATOR, great time head

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

Difference between LM and MS is that MS is a dedicated software company. The flight sim team over at MS can draw on massive internal resources, decades of R&D and access technology exclusive to MS. In terms of software development MS have synergies like few other company in the world.  

I don't really see how I benefit from smaller developers being more dedicated, agile or responsive as long as they don't create a product that I want or need. Yes, MS has burned us in the past, and they probably will again, but their apology sounds sincere, and here they are with the greatest looking screenshots and trailer in flight simulation history.

I don't know how much FS knowledge was left and is kept at MS after the ACES Studio was dissolved. What we see in the demo could be a conglomerate from Aerosoft, HiFi, Bing Maps and others, who knows.

The important thing however is the longtime budget of the MSFS team.  That they belong to a large software company specializing in Office and Windows is not much help if for example the teams of P3D, Aerofly and XP have larger budgets.

We do not know anything about the budgets of course. And I am carefully optimistic, although the sim is not for me in the next couple of years as I mentioned in another post But to believe that MSFS is a top priority product in the minds of the MS leadership seems overly optimistic to me..

• Like 3

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

7 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

I am, but I don't get your point. It's all part of the same value chain. The hardware helps Microsoft sell software, and help customers operate it, and vice versa.

Flight Simulator is a small part of the overall business, but it helps Microsoft sell Windows 10, DX12, Xbox etc. And you also see how Microsoft's flight sim development draws from other areas of MS, like Azure AI, map/satellite technology, cloud/server computing etc. 

My point was that simmerhead said: Difference between LM and MS is that MS is a dedicated software company, I I though that maybe he is unaware that MS does a lot more than just software, & that MFS is just one of over a hundred games that will be available for the Xbox One, when it's released.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

37 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Come back when the genius figures out how to get his Cessna 172 to fly by the numbers. 

I am an XP11 user exclusively (for now) and like their 172 but its ground handling is awful.  I hate making a flight and then finding it a challenge to taxi in a straight line.  While I can't go back to P3D or FSX again, there's too much that even FSX did better than XP11 (seasons being one of the big ones).  So, unless the new sim is a totally disappointment (and it's looking that they are going in the right direction so far), I'm likely to move on from XP11. We'll see.

• Like 3

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

22 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

If I recall, I could be mistaken, MS, in the past, did not offer support with FS2004 & FSX? 

I think you are right.

6 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

My point was that simmerhead said: Difference between LM and MS is that MS is a dedicated software company, I I though that maybe he is unaware that MS does a lot more than just software, & that MFS is just one of over a hundred games that will be available for the Xbox One, when it's released.

I get it, but my point is that the "ACES" team can draw on resources in house that small independent developers and Lockheed Martin can't, hence they don't need the same budget to make a flight sim. Others don't have Azure AI, 100s of other game titles, highly detailed satellite and map databases (well, LM probably has, but military grade), hoards of computer graphics artists, programmers, DX technology developers, cloud/server computing experts etc. 

• Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Dear Moderators,

I know I'm a bit guilty, but can this forum be moderated to include only updated information of the forthcoming MFS, and not reasons as to depating pro's & con's of alternate sims? We've had 80 pages of that kind of stuff, & it would be great to have a forum that is to point.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

6 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

I think you are right.

I get it, but my point is that the "ACES" team can draw on resources in house that small independent developers and Lockheed Martin can't, hence they don't need the same budget to make a flight sim. Others don't have Azure AI, 100s of other game titles, highly detailed satellite and map databases (well, LM probably has, but military grade), hoards of computer graphics artists, programmers, DX technology developers, cloud/server computing experts etc. 

They developed the Operational System (Windows 10) + the API (Directx 12) and are developing the simulator. Besides that, there's a lot of resources in the other studios/areas of Microsoft to share knowledge/resources. It's promissing actually and I agree with you.

Edited by ca_metal

4 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

I think you are right.

I get your point, also ACES has long been disbanded, as I'm sure you are aware, & the sim, & the rest of the games, & all the stuff you mentioned are developed by Xbox Gaming Studio

Just saying, to get facts correct.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

5 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

They developed the Operational System (Windows 10) + the API (Directx 12) and are developing the simulator. Besides that, there's a lot of resources in the other studios/areas of Microsoft to share knowledge/resources. It's promissing actually and I agree with you.

Nope, ACES did not develop any operating systems, only games.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

1 minute ago, Wobbie said:

Nope, ACES did not develop any operating systems, only games.

Microsoft did... We are talking about the whole company behind the new "Aces".

Edited by ca_metal