Sign in to follow this  
flytrumpet767

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3 - Updated Information

1 minute ago, bonchie said:

Given how that latest press release reads, I don't buy that some disconnected French company is making the game.

Helping with assets or features? Sure, but not entirely developing it.

Strange....that video above sure does not match up with the latest MS story. The paint jobs were shinny but we have a ton of people right here at AVSIM who make beautiful paint jobs. Wow a bit strange indeed. More to this story I suspect.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I'm pretty sure those developers that make games for the publishers will do whatever the publisher asks them.

You really think Ubisoft asked them to make vehicles (including the airplanes) with super accurate physics? The crew is an arcade game, it's not a racing simulator. Of course you shouldn't expect super real flight physics. It doesn't mean they can't do good planes.

Besides that, we don't know if they are doing the whole game, maybe they are working only on the features they are good on (VR maybe?!).

Edited by ca_metal

6 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

There several reasons MS would bring back flight simulation:

1.  Showcase Azure cloud services with their Geo map data.

2.  Showcase technology advances on Windows 10 and XBOX.

3.  Establish a healthy ecosystem ... think progressing into a world simulator (trains, cars, bus, boats).

4.  Showcase UWP as a viable platform for Win10 and XBOX development.

There are many reasons MS has returned and they aren’t necessarily always financially motivated.  

If you go back to the first version of MS Flight Simulator, it was a product to showcase the power of the PC and the OS (DOS).

Cheers, Rob.

This was my original thought when I first saw the trailer -- I went looking for this old ESP press release, from 2007. The plan was to build a visual simulation platform based on their FS technology. The second paragraph is interesting:

Capitalizing on years of investment in the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise, Microsoft ESP allows partners and developers to focus on creating compelling and differentiated Windows-based solutions that go beyond entertainment and are consistent with the industry’s move toward serious games and games-based learning as training tools. The initial version of the platform focuses on Microsoft’s established strength and expertise in aviation capabilities and is targeted to military and commercial aviation audiences. Future versions of Microsoft ESP will expand beyond aviation into ground and maritime operations, indoor and avatar-centric simulations for commercial, government and academic learning opportunities.

So it seems to me that their new sim is a modern take on this, starting with a flight simulator and building it into a visualisation tool for "government, commercial and academic organizations". So the flight simulator would be the first step in a cloud-based, AI-driven simulation platform aimed at enterprise customers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bonchie said:

Helping with assets or features? Sure, but not entirely developing it.

No, you totally understand how Microsoft works. If I am not mistaken they killed every internal game development studio. It is simpler if they are independend. You all seem to believe that an internal department  gets special rights. Their Operating System is closely watched by the US and the European Union. So they really put their complete documentation on the internet. They only get an VPN access to the internal databases and documentation. Everything else they either have to develop themselves or they have to pay for. The internal personal is extremly mobile when a project is finished they normally change their position..

1 hour ago, toprob said:

So it seems to me that their new sim is a modern take on this, starting with a flight simulator and building it into a visualisation tool for "government, commercial and academic organizations". So the flight simulator would be the first step in a cloud-based, AI-driven simulation platform aimed at enterprise customers.

That makes it seem like they are out to compete with LM and Prepar3d. That seems a bit odd to me.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

14 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

That makes it seem like they are out to compete with LM and Prepar3d. That seems a bit odd to me.

Based on the original idea behind ESP, I'd say that LM have not really gone in that direction, it is still just a flight simulator, with some other featured added. I do use/love (and develop for) Prepar3d, but visualisation hasn't really been a priority -- the 'base' scenery is really unchanged from FSX. So there is still a case for a new 'world' simulator which anyone -- including any enterprise -- can use for whatever they need. 

Most certain you can throw away all of your addons and start from scratch with msfs2020. And thats a good thing. I don’t want ancient code addons to ruin the FPS in the new sim. 

And I am pretty sure many studios are already developing addons that will be available at launch. Like with the PS5. There are always launch titles available.

and to you guys who still use win7 or xp. Update now! I loved win7 but now I love win10. There isn’t any difference in daily use BUT ms stopped support for xp and 7 and running an OS without security updates is a pretty stupid idea.

• Like 2

Lukas Dalton

3 minutes ago, toprob said:

Based on the original idea behind ESP, I'd say that LM have not really gone in that direction, it is still just a flight simulator, with some other featured added. I do use/love (and develop for) Prepar3d, but visualisation hasn't really been a priority -- the 'base' scenery is really unchanged from FSX. So there is still a case for a new 'world' simulator which anyone -- including any enterprise -- can use for whatever they need. 

Bathymetry is a LM addition isn't it? I thought it was to enable submarine training.

Then there's the donkey and cart.

Definitely moves made in P3D towards a world simulator rather than only flight, just not at any great speed.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

For everyone talking about the French studio who is potentially developing the game as a sub contractor a simple search on LinkedIn will show you a number of Microsoft Software Engineers based in Redmond who have updated their profiles to reflect Microsoft Flight Simulator June 2019.

With a little detective work you can also pick up some of the Project Managers who are clearly working on the project as well. 

10 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

For everyone talking about the French studio who is potentially developing the game as a sub contractor a simple search on LinkedIn will show you a number of Microsoft Software Engineers based in Redmond who have updated their profiles to reflect Microsoft Flight Simulator June 2019.

With a little detective work you can also pick up some of the Project Managers who are clearly working on the project as well. 

That's what I figured.

19 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

I don’t agree with “never” above. Do you remember the DiD games like ef2000 and f22 - they were huge games. They just don’t make that sort of combat sim anymore. 

I remember them, and F19, Chuck Yeager, Falcon, even the MSCFS 1, 2, and 3... the question is where are they? FSX has remained extremely strong, even FS9 still has a good sized following for as old as it is. Even though DCS looks so much better, it cannot compete popularity wise with FSX. 

MSCFS 2 I remember as being quite popular, but it had nothing on FS2000 or FS2002.

I would not say any combat flight sim is no good, they just will never be as popular as civilian type sims, no competition. Its just the way it is and has been. But if someone buys the Professional Plus version of P3D ($2300.00), they can have both types in one.😄

4 hours ago, TravelRunner404 said:

My guess is that the French company is one of several subcontractors.

BTW, there are an unusual number of french planes in the trailer.

It would be interesting to know how many people from MS are involved in the project. If they are only a few this is not a good sign for the longevity of the project, or that MS is not fully committed at this stage.

Edited by dilore

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

Yearh... I don't know what to say anymore...

This statement from Microsoft can be read in two ways. Yes, they want to work closely with 3rd party developers and community content - but in what way? Utilizing what distribution-channel? Are developers given free hands to publish addons for this sim - or are there 'strings' attached? Are they forced into specific marketplaces, where there're fees etc or are they free to distribute their creations on their own?

This is some of the answers we're missing - or at least I am - before I can commit myself fully to this new announcement.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

1 hour ago, dilore said:

BTW, there are an unusual number of french planes in the trailer.

And places :

Marseille 0'20
Chateau d'If 0'48 (Close to Marseille)
Courchevel 1'24 (Alps Altiport)

• Like 1

Marc

FS2020alpha, P3D v5 - W10 - i7-8700k @4.7GHz - Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3000MHz C15 - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti-O11G-Gaming - Noctua NH-U12S - SSD Samsung 970 Evo M.2 PCIe NVMe 1To - Cooler Master G650M - HP 35" OMEN X 21:9 3440x1440

4 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

This is some of the answers we're missing - or at least I am - before I can commit myself fully to this new announcement.

I think you are asking questions that they simply can't answer. What will Microsoft ask and what is Microsoft ready to pay and several of these answers will depend on the numbers.

• Like 1