Sign in to follow this  
flytrumpet767

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3 - Updated Information

I would think that "God rays" are something that ray tracing would be able to handle.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 minute ago, Christopher Low said:

I would think that "God rays" are something that ray tracing would be able to handle.

God's rays is fluff. Nice fluff but fluff. Being blinded by the sun is a flying hazard.

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 hours ago, domkle said:

when you directly look at the sun you get dazzled and don't see anything around you for a second or two.

This is easy enough to do and I've seen the effect long ago even on a CRT monitor.  I'm seeing similar things in P3Dv4.  It can be done, but how many people want it?  Check the various HDR/bloom settings in the sim.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

Yep, most people wouldn't "expect it and many would consider it a bug", but here it is anyway:

Perfect!  And not that far off either.  

It's like the poster of the kitten looking in the mirror and it's reflecting a lion.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Excluding not having the whole world (Flight) and no full SDK (Flight & FSW) the biggest , most frequent and repeated moans were about the lack of "big jets". I do wonder how much MS have skewed scenery depiction to higher level flying to address this market as opposed to lower level flying and landing approaches outside the bigger US airports.

Give people power to really test their personality.

5 hours ago, Longranger said:

Well, not properly since there are no mo0nitors that can handle such a difference in brightness.

The official Xbox site for the new MSFS says it will support HDR monitors. 😀

But yeah, that's more for a wider dynamic range within normal monitor brightness  levels than blinding the user.

Regarding crepuscular rays, that's already in at least one weather plugin (SkyMaxx Pro) so it's not impossible even without ray tracing, although ray tracing is the "right" way to do it.

The official MSFS page mentions HDR but nothing about ray tracing even though the Scarlett Xbox will supposedly support that. Maybe they're still working on it. The shot in the trailer of the hangar doors opening looks suspiciously like ray traced reflections on the aircraft.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

14 hours ago, Paraffin said:

The official Xbox site for the new MSFS says it will support HDR monitors. 😀

But yeah, that's more for a wider dynamic range within normal monitor brightness  levels than blinding the user.

Regarding crepuscular rays, that's already in at least one weather plugin (SkyMaxx Pro) so it's not impossible even without ray tracing, although ray tracing is the "right" way to do it.

The official MSFS page mentions HDR but nothing about ray tracing even though the Scarlett Xbox will supposedly support that. Maybe they're still working on it. The shot in the trailer of the hangar doors opening looks suspiciously like ray traced reflections on the aircraft.

And just on this, there is no such thing as HDR in a computer game or in a monitor. It is simply marketing. Any advances in screen image difference between HDR and non HDR devices are due to hardware improvements. In other words, a newer screen will likely look better than an older screen. HDR has nothing to do with it.

4K is the same, marketing and worthless almost to the entire population of the planet. 4K actually has many negative aspects but it's all beyond the public's understanding so we now get 4K regardless if it is a good or bad thing.

Same with phone cameras. 12 megapixels in a phone camera is crazy and the camera performance suffers but we have to put up with substandard cameras because the public don't understand the technology.

Mark Daniels

7 hours ago, Skywatcher said:

And just on this, there is no such thing as HDR in a computer game or in a monitor. It is simply marketing. Any advances in screen image difference between HDR and non HDR devices are due to hardware improvements. In other words, a newer screen will likely look better than an older screen. HDR has nothing to do with it.

4K is the same, marketing and worthless almost to the entire population of the planet. 4K actually has many negative aspects but it's all beyond the public's understanding so we now get 4K regardless if it is a good or bad thing.

Same with phone cameras. 12 megapixels in a phone camera is crazy and the camera performance suffers but we have to put up with substandard cameras because the public don't understand the technology. 

Couldn't disagree more.  I just bought a 4K 55" TV for my Xbox One X, and the difference between 4K and 1080P is night and day.  HDR turned on looks amazing.  4K is so much sharper than 1080p.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Skywatcher said:

What an odd thing to say. With four times the resolution UHD is clearly superior to 1920*1080. Try looking at any virtual cockpit in both and then tell me you cannot see a huge improvement in clarity with UHD.

Funny you say 4K has many negative aspects but fail to mention a single one. 🙄

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 hours ago, Skywatcher said:

Are you kidding or serious? I imagine that is said tongue in cheek! :tongue:

I have a 4K 55 inch curved screen for my P3D flight simulation set that high with Track IR and would not want to go back to lesser and earlier times.

Let's look forward, not stare backwards!

Kind regards, 

Spirit Flyer :smile:

Stephen

Edited by SpiritFlyer
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

4k is kinda pointless for a TV that's mounted to the wall on the other side of the living room. It's pretty hard to see the difference between 4k and regular 1080HD unless your TV is really enormous.

But since we computer nerds tend to have our screens less than 4 feet from our face, there *is* a visible difference and it's well worth going the 4k route.

Especially since you can get a decent 4k tv for the same price, or less, than a good HD monitor.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, eslader said:

4k is kinda pointless for a TV that's mounted to the wall on the other side of the living room. It's pretty hard to see the difference between 4k and regular 1080HD unless your TV is really enormous.

But since we computer nerds tend to have our screens less than 4 feet from our face, there *is* a visible difference and it's well worth going the 4k route.

Especially since you can get a decent 4k tv for the same price, or less, than a good HD monitor.

I can see a reasonably difference between 1080p and UHD on my 55" OLED TV from 8ft. It's nowhere near the difference that 1080p is to SD which might explain why UHD broadcasts are far from becoming standard certainly in the UK.

The problem when choosing between a TV and monitor is UHD monitor sizes stop at 32" but TV's start at 40". I would have gone for a 36" TV or monitor had one been available but I'm certainly very happy with my 32". If choosing a UHD TV it's important it has 4:4:4 chroma for displaying text at maximum definition.

Providing you have a 1080Ti or better UHD is certainly worth changing to.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Personally I'll probably stick with HD.  I do have a 1080Ti, but I'm getting ready to build a little simpit involving 4-5 displays, and that might make the card sweat a bit if they're 4k's. 😉

@eslader, err, yes, stick to HD. I still think you’ll struggle with more than two displays for the scenery. Five seems a bit OTT. Others for moving maps?

Anyway, this is getting off topic. I’ll end there.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather