Sign in to follow this  
Greazer

Real 3D Clouds ??

Does anybody know if this thing will have real proper 3d clouds or only the 2d billboard kind?   Over in XP, they have xEnviro developers working on 3d clouds, and whilst its still early days, the realism effect is like night and day when flying through them.  

I would imagine only those closely involved in the project know. I’d be amazed if it doesn’t though. Even rdr2 has volumetric clouds and there’s literally zero flying in that game!

The trailer shows 3D Clouds. It's not so difficult to implement them anymore.

Francesco 

Embraer 195 Type rated

My Specs: MOBO: ROG Z390 Maximus Hero IX CPU: Intel i7-9700K @ 5.0 Ghz GPU: Nvidia  GeForce GTX 3080Ti RAM: GSkill Trident 32Gb Gb DDR4 3200 Mhz

MSFS, DCS World.

If I don't see squashed clouds in the Great North and shadows shifting with the point of view everywhere else, I will  be a happy camper.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

trueSKY, which produces true, volumetric clouds and real-time weather rendering, has been available for some time. According to their website (https://simul.co/truesky/), it's already being used by Microsoft Game Studios so it would be logical to assume that they would include it in the new flight sim. Here's a demo: https://youtu.be/cc6I7-yh8nc

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I just wish one company would build a sim with decent weather.  That's all I ask. Include realistic weather out of the box.  It's something that just boggles my mind- that LM and LR didn't see the importance of doing this in any of their versions.  REX sucks. It never fully worked after Skyforce, doesn't fully work now, and X-enviro has a looooong way to go before it worth the hefty price tag they want for a half-finished product.  I don't get it.  I really hope Microsoft looks at this, and other important, white elephants in the room that have been ignored by devs for years.  I'll ditch both platforms in a second if that is the case. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dal330200 said:

I just wish one company would build a sim with decent weather.  That's all I ask. Include realistic weather out of the box.  It's something that just boggles my mind- that LM and LR didn't see the importance of doing this in any of their versions.  REX sucks. It never fully worked after Skyforce, doesn't fully work now, and X-enviro has a looooong way to go before it worth the hefty price tag they want for a half-finished product.  I don't get it.  I really hope Microsoft looks at this, and other important, white elephants in the room that have been ignored by devs for years.  I'll ditch both platforms in a second if that is the case. 

I'm sorry you're disappointed with SkyForce, we're working on revamping the weather engine and much of SkyForce to provide a higher fidelity engine overall. Don't know if it's any consolation, but wanted to make sure you knew we're working on addressing many of the issues that you guys have pointed out.

6 hours ago, GameSyns said:

I'm sorry you're disappointed with SkyForce, we're working on revamping the weather engine and much of SkyForce to provide a higher fidelity engine overall. Don't know if it's any consolation, but wanted to make sure you knew we're working on addressing many of the issues that you guys have pointed out.

As much as I appreciate that, we've been hearing that same thing since the release of Skyforce and now the bug fixes associated with EF.  That's a long time to wait in the sim-verse, and it's one of the main reasons that I jumped ship to X-plane from P3D.  I got tired of waiting for you guys to make products that live up to their marketing hype.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, dal330200 said:

I'm with you! Yes, flight dynamics are very important obviously, but from my real world experience WEATHER has just as much bearing on our flights as the aircraft itself. For example a true overcast seems to be all but impossible to simulate currently... imagine going from a nice dark grey morning sky takeoff to going through the cloud (and actually losing ALL visibility around you with an actual white FLASH from the strobes-especially at night, to busting through the top of the overcast to see a beautiful bright blue sky; when dropping out below you is an overcast layer of fluff that you can just feel the moisture of those clouds (and see on the wings) - now THAT is immersion!

And one other thing, nature is beautiful and so varied - never the same cloud shape twice, in fact even overcast looks very different (at least the tops of overcast) - some may be lazy and hazy gray while others may be well defined puffs. Almost need some random number generator to create varied patterns and thicknesses every time and of course base those random generators on weather conditions as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dal330200 said:

As much as I appreciate that, we've been hearing that same thing since the release of Skyforce and now the bug fixes associated with EF.  That's a long time to wait in the sim-verse, and it's one of the main reasons that I jumped ship to X-plane from P3D.  I got tired of waiting for you guys to make products that live up to their marketing hype.

I get where you are coming from, all I can say is; when we do release the technical update and creative update, do check it out. I've been meaning to check out X-Plane, hopefully, the switch was an easy one. Still trying to get used to the whole platform, hard to dedicate time to learning it 😅

On 6/21/2019 at 10:42 PM, dal330200 said:

Similar deal with XP plugin xEnviro. Always promises a lot but still very much a big work in progress.

• Like 1