Sign in to follow this  
Guest United_757

A small ATC change in FSX that I would like to see.

Guest United_757

Hi,One small change that I would like to see in FSX is to the ATC Text window. At busy airports, this window can be annoying, especially when you are on short final and the ATC window keeps popping up in front of you with messages to other aircraft. Yeah, I know it is transparent but it still gets in the way.Currently, the only two options that I see is to turn the ATC window off and listen for the instructions or to leave it on and keep hitting the [` key] to clear the ATC message boxes. Like I said, it can get annoying.The change that I would like to see is to give the user a third option. And that is to have the ATC text box only be displayed when the message is pertaining to your aircraft, and leaving all other ATC communications audible in the background. I think that would be a small change that would make the flight-sim experience more enjoyable and hopefully would not have to totally redesign the ATC system to implement. Thanks

Guest tdragger

Do you have a dual monitor system? I usually undock it and move it the second monitor.

Guest robertsflight

Hi,I believe that you can do that already in fs2004. The way I set it up is for the window to pop up only when I press the "`" key and I do that only when the ATC calls my plane. It never shows text for other planes. Then I respond and the window closes. I have to look which option I have checked in setup though...but I remember I dicovered it accidently since the way it's explained didn't make sense to me. (If my setup is what you need I'll get back to you and reproduce the steps-my fs computer is a sleep now)Best

FS9 Does this already. Go under Settings then Air Traffic Control. Check the box that says "Auto Open ATC Window". This only opens the ATC Window when messages from ATC are directed at you. It stays closed on all other AI to ATC Communications.Jim

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi, I think you need to uncheck the 'Show Text' box above and then I think it only comes alive to show messages to you and then goes away and you only hear the other ATC comms with the AI pilots. It seems a lot better.Andy.

If you choose this option, not even the messages to yourself and your replies are shown on the screen.The box then only pops up to show you the keys for the different options you can choose from. E g. "1" for "contact ground", "2" for "contact tower" etc. But absolutely no conversation is shown on the screen. This means you have to listen very carefully to the ATC in order to understand all instructions you receive. IMO this is much more realistic than conversations shown on the screen.Wolfgang

Just to add, if you do miss an atc instruction you can always see the whole conversation via the kneeboard.Ian.

Guest United_757

Unfortunately I only have a single monitor system

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi thereAAAAhhhh.Light comes on:-abduct Andy.

Guest United_757

Thanks for your reply.Yes, I have had it set up in the way you described. Personally, I would rather have the ATC text box come up automatically when ATC sends a message, that way if you walk away from the computer for a moment you won

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,>>>IMO this is much more realistic than conversations shown on the screen.<<