Sign in to follow this  
nonflyingdutchman

why is this still not used worldwide?

Because neither the Boeing 737, nor any other airliner has a rear window, nor the ability for the pilots to see/keep the main wheels straddling the centreline. As such you'd still need a headset person to guide the aircraft and a road man too who is not typically in communication with the flight deck but who can still signal the tug/headset person, so you might as well use a tug if you've going to do that.

Not only this, the headset person is also the 'engine start master' for the pushback procedure, so once the aircraft is at the TRP, they are making sure the engines don't have a hot start or fire. Not saying it wouldn't have any use at all, especially at some airports, but it's not practical for most airports, where the turn immediately following leaving the stand can be very tight.

It's also worth noting that the test/demo is done in dry weather; I seriously doubt that the thing would get an aircraft moving in very wet or icy conditions, particularly when there is de-icing fluid on the stand as there invariably is when conditions are poor. I'd like to see that system trying to get fully-loaded Triple Seven or A330 rolling too.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Modern aircraft are fitted with cameras so pilots can monitor the surroundings and communicate with groundcrew during backup.  

Also electric motors are getting more powerful and tractioncontrol could be implemented. Fuelsaving is on top priority of every airline I

would think.

Aircraft are not fitted with so many cameras and screens to monitor these that this would be an adequate alternative to someone outside who is looking. Nor are these of a sufficient resolution to be able to spot all dangers. Crews are only in communication with the headsetter, not the road man, nor are they in communication with all other vehicles and personnel around the ramp, this is why there is a road man. It's impressive as a technical capability, but its just not a practical system, if it was, it would be in use.

Fuelsaving might be the top priority of the airline, but safety is the top priority of me and everyone else on the ramp when I'm working around aeroplanes, so stuff their desire to save money. 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Trust me, if airlines thought this was a real cost saver and could help eliminate jobs they'd be using it. There are just too many situations where it's not just a straight pushback. One of the gates I pushed back on at DFW required an S turn to get the aircraft out. It was tricky enough with a tug driver and wing walkers. Impossible with this system.

NAX669.png

1 minute ago, nonflyingdutchman said:

So how about sensors in the taxiways....not giving up yet😁

Again, how good are sensors going to be under slush, snow and ice?

Extra cost over installing and maintaining another electrical system under the tarmac.

It's a nice idea on paper, but the practicalities of WheelTug just aren't there.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Yet another piece of technology to put some people out of work.  What will people do when robots and labor saving devices do everything for us?  Buy groceries with food stamps and live in government subsidized housing and sit at home watching television all day?  The only real jobs that will be left maintaining robots (until they learn to maintain each other) and the entertainment industry providing us with new television programs to dumb our minds with so we don't care that we have become non-productive human beings.  Computers are already writing novels.

Watching the latest TV commercials for the new pickup trucks they now have power tailgates.  I have owned pickup trucks and it wasn't that hard to pull the latch and lower the tailgate by hand.  Of course in the non too distant future we won't own vehicles.  Self driving vehicles will pick us up and deliver us where we want to go.  That is if we have anywhere to go by then.

Noel  (The Modern Luddite)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, nonflyingdutchman said:

Modern aircraft are fitted with cameras so pilots can monitor the surroundings and communicate with groundcrew during backup. 

What world are you living in. The only ones I know of with a camera are the Boeing 777-300ER, Airbus A340-600, I think the Airbus A380, and Lufthansa's Boeing 747-8s. Even then, those would be for taxi guidance rather for monitoring surrounding areas. You wouldn't really be able to see what's behind you.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Mercedes Trucks are getting cameras instead of mirrors (should be fun when one goes on the blink)

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

11 minutes ago, nonflyingdutchman said:

Sooo, possible for modern electric cars but not for state of the art aircraft😔

You just lost all credibility with that comment.

NAX669.png

There's a whole lot of difference in moving a 200 ton aircraft and a 1 ton car. All the costs have to be considered  such as additional capacity from ground power to recharge the units as well as their weight and additional battery weight. Running an apu would have its own cost factor which reduces the savings if there any with this product. 

Interesting, however. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Everything is going to be VSTOL automated eventually. This is a waste of money. Hell, you can't even get South Worst to run the APU too cool the cabin in 100 degree plus days in PHX. You think they'd go for this?

Edited by Camsdad13
add on

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

Yet another piece of technology to put some people out of work.  What will people do when robots and labor saving devices do everything for us?  Buy groceries with food stamps and live in government subsidized housing and sit at home watching television all day?  The only real jobs that will be left maintaining robots (until they learn to maintain each other) and the entertainment industry providing us with new television programs to dumb our minds with so we don't care that we have become non-productive human beings.  Computers are already writing novels.

You're really living up to your signature, huh?

As humans have done for tens of thousands of years, we will adapt and overcome. May I invite you to crack open your favorite beverage and toast to progress.

• Like 2

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU