Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

What a mess! and can I copy Orbx folders into a new install?

Well, guys,

I'm beta testing REX EF and was looking forward to testing the new build. Well here is a strange story.

I uninstalled the last build and installed the new build (cannot talk about the new things). Opening up P3D and noticed it was taking a long time to just open. Got into a flight (at the gate)and OMG! FPS 7-14 in the FSL in the maule normally 135, it was 7-50, P3D was screwed.

Uninstalled EF deleted config, replace shaders with backups, still the same did a contend repair, still the same. Deleted generated file, BIG mistake, now I might as well to a reinstall.

I found out what the problem was last night. I started to play WoW Vanilla as I will play WoW Classic when it comes out.  What I did was played a bit of WoW then opened P3d......screwed, last night got home, opened P3D all was well again. Played a bit of WoW open P3D afterwards to see if it was playing WoW then opening P3D and yes P3D was all but dead. Why? no idea but there you go. Why playing WoW Vanilla would make running P3D after so bad I have no idea. Live and learn....

So Question.

If I back up all my Orbx files, Global/OLC/Vector and some airports and I just copy them back into a new install and just "migrate" then back though Orbx UI? should that work?

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Yes they encourage you to copy downloaded files to spare them bandwidth.

When you reinstall, copy back the backed up Orbx folder, and then run Central and ' verify ' everything.

It will then check all the files, download any missing or updated files and configure all the necessary cfg files.

To be on the safe side, reconfigure all the control panel settings for each product, run unified lookup and the AEC tool if you have Vectors (under "Settings").

Edited by Gabe777
  • Like 1

Thanks Gabe.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

From my experience with *******ups in P3D, if you have your add-ons and Orbx well away from the P3D folder, all you need to do is delete and re-install each component in turn (client, content, scenery) testing each time until it works. Then the add-ons should work with no further action needed.

You might have to re-install an airport or two and probably Orbx libraries to get that side of things working again.

I am no expert but this has saved my bacon more than once.

Ian Harrison

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

44 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Well, guys,

I'm beta testing REX EF and was looking forward to testing the new build. Well here is a strange story.

I uninstalled the last build and installed the new build (cannot talk about the new things). Opening up P3D and noticed it was taking a long time to just open. Got into a flight (at the gate)and OMG! FPS 7-14 in the FSL in the maule normally 135, it was 7-50, P3D was screwed.

Uninstalled EF deleted config, replace shaders with backups, still the same did a contend repair, still the same. Deleted generated file, BIG mistake, now I might as well to a reinstall.

I found out what the problem was last night. I started to play WoW Vanilla as I will play WoW Classic when it comes out.  What I did was played a bit of WoW then opened P3d......screwed, last night got home, opened P3D all was well again. Played a bit of WoW open P3D afterwards to see if it was playing WoW then opening P3D and yes P3D was all but dead. Why? no idea but there you go. Why playing WoW Vanilla would make running P3D after so bad I have no idea. Live and learn....

So Question.

If I back up all my Orbx files, Global/OLC/Vector and some airports and I just copy them back into a new install and just "migrate" then back though Orbx UI? should that work?

David,

If you decide to do a full install, cut and paste the ORBX folder outside of the P3D folder. Install P3d then copy the folder back into P3D v4 folder. Before you run ORBX FTX Central, remove the docs folder. They contain the info that FTX Central will read in order to tell the user what is installed or need to be updated.

You will only need to re-install Libs & FTX Global. FTX Central will update any airport you tell it to update for you. Don't forget to run the migration tool.

It's the way I've done it every time I've done a full P3D v4 upgrade and I never have any issues.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Dave I don't understand, you imply that EF caused you these problems?

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

no  it  was  Wow  classic

Edited by pete_auau
  • Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

The ORBX answer to copying backups on a reinstall is here:  https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/124986-how-to-re-install-ftx-products-with-least-downloading/  ..................

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

4 hours ago, DJJose said:

If you decide to do a full install, cut and paste the ORBX folder outside of the P3D folder. Install P3d then copy the folder back into P3D v4 folder. Before you run ORBX FTX Central, remove the docs folder. They contain the info that FTX Central will read in order to tell the user what is installed or need to be updated.

You will only need to re-install Libs & FTX Global. FTX Central will update any airport you tell it to update for you. Don't forget to run the migration tool.

It's the way I've done it every time I've done a full P3D v4 upgrade and I never have any issues.

You will also need to reinstall Trees HD if you use it.

If you have any add-on airports that required disabling conflicting ORBX scenery/terrain/object bgls, they will have to be disabled again, as FTX Central will re-download those files and put them back.

Also, if you run UTX, after running FTX Central, you'll need to open each UTX region and do a quick disable and then enable it again, as FTX Central will overwrite the terrain.cfg file and you'll lose the entries made by UTX (resulting in water where there should be ground and other anomalies).

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks, guys for all your links and thoughts and ideas