Sign in to follow this  
steve310002

Orbx True Earth Washington Released

A heads-up as per the title. Downloading now. Fast download speeds so far averaging 57mb/s with a total download of 38.35 GB. Looking forward to trying it.

Other items, ~$60 US  with the HD pack and 207 GB installed. Be sure to first read how to set up symbolic links if the drive with the ORBX folder does not have enough room.

3 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Other items, ~$60 US  with the HD pack and 207 GB installed. Be sure to first read how to set up symbolic links if the drive with the ORBX folder does not have enough room.

Woof... I've got the HD space, and with this GPU I probably can't use the HD pack anyway. But that's a lot of dough for one area.

I'll probably bite the bullet and get it anyway, since it's where I live (fly over your house syndrome). It's the best test case for my aversion to ortho scenery and preference for landclass. If this doesn't convince me, nothing will.

P.S. It will be interesting to see what they do with Naval Base Kitsap, where the boomers live. Just a big blur? Or at least a little detail for the sub base?

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I'm going to wait and see what turns up on the ORBX site and in this thread, as I spend part of the year in WA. I have the drive space but the MSFS announcement still has me worried about investing in any new major payware add-ons. I think that I read also that if one buys the XP11 version, the P3d4 version (when released, ha ha) can be purchased for 40% off. I'm sure that somebody will correct me on this if I'm wrong.

I just tried it out. It looks fantastic. Great performance as well with all objects maxed out and the mesh looks fantastic. Only weird thing so far is the KSEA airport buildings are missing (I do not have any add-on for KSEA). Definitely worth it IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I'm going to wait and see what turns up on the ORBX site and in this thread, as I spend part of the year in WA. I have the drive space but the MSFS announcement still has me worried about investing in any new major payware add-ons. I think that I read also that if one buys the XP11 version, the P3d4 version (when released, ha ha) can be purchased for 40% off. I'm sure that somebody will correct me on this if I'm wrong.

MSFS is next year sometime, and is really going to look as good as the screenshot or is going to be a catfish?  You are missing out, the scenery is really good! Best scenery ADD-ON to date, hands down! Performance is also good! The trees alone are worth it!

Edited by strider1
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

The demo video looks impressive but the hd space requirements make me go 😲.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I live in Rochester, 18 south of Olympia and found my house so the accuracy and detail are fine.  If anything the colors lean towards ochres rather than green.  Their satellite images must be from one of our hot, dry summers - most of the time it's fairly green - rain'll do that.

22 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

I live in Rochester, 18 south of Olympia and found my house so the accuracy and detail are fine.  If anything the colors lean towards ochres rather than green.  Their satellite images must be from one of our hot, dry summers - most of the time it's fairly green - rain'll do that.

Yeah, that's just one of many issues with ortho scenery. I was looking at Google Earth recently of the area around my house up here on the Olympic Peninsula in WA state northwest of Seattle. In the satellite view, everyone's yards around the houses were brown. Public parks were brown. We don't water our lawns up here.

Vegetation here is green for 2/3 of the year, just not when the satellites use clear cloud cover for photos where everything is dry. Same problem for other parts of the world with a wet/dry cycle. 

I'm still buying it to see what it looks like. Later tonight so it can run the download overnight. I'll report back.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Excited to read the impressions. 

I amon the sidelines with XP these days, but interested in how well they’ve done since I’m from Seattle. 

5 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Yep this is indeed the case. When I was looking for imagery for this area I had a choice of using the most recent which was taken during what looks like a very dry summer, or older more greener imagery that was worse quality and had more clouds in places. As you move further south towards Oregon it becomes more green

It looks absolutely stunning.

4-dfc825580c3da78e93890da20557523b.jpg

4-ed125fd2598767bfc6643553d98098e0.jpg

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

15 hours ago, steve310002 said:

I just tried it out. It looks fantastic. Great performance as well with all objects maxed out and the mesh looks fantastic. Only weird thing so far is the KSEA airport buildings are missing (I do not have any add-on for KSEA). Definitely worth it IMO.

Fully agree. It's a pleasure to fly. Besides, I am impressed that given the visual detail fps are still not below 30, mostly 40-50. FSX/P3D have been struggling around Seattle in FTX PNW for ages (with P3D4 being a bit better indeed). It's a real step up over landclass-based synthetic scenery for GA flyers like me.

Yes, I am missing the KSEA buildings, too. I'm sure this can be dealt with, maybe it's just an issue with layering or some bad by me. I think about buying DD Seattle airports (not the city, just the airports) as a complement anyway.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Is DD design SEATTLE X City and airports compatibel? 

I can barely manage FSLA320 in that area with DD and FTXPNW. 

Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

DD airports are compatible, but DD Seattle X city is not.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.