Sign in to follow this  
Guest lnuss

How will 2D handle multiple screen ratios?

This subject was hinted at in another thread of a different topic, and perhaps I've missed it as well in another thread, but, I'm wondering if something is being done to accomadoate multiple screen ratios for 2D panels? Back in the 640x480 - 1024x768 days, everything was pretty much the same. Nowadays, it's not, what with the all the different wide screens that are available.Given how the 2D panel is made, I can't imagine how it could be handled using the same technology, but I'm wondering if there is something you (MS) is doing to alleviate the issues.I happen to fly almost exclusively VC, where it's not an issue, but I know there are a bunch of people out there who don't, and this is a pretty big issue for them. Just because I do occasionally go back to 2D, I've gone and redone the panels of my favorite planes that I fly (which all pretty much use the same panel, that of my Cherokee). But that's not practical to do for bunches of airplanes.I'm thinking perhaps some sort of 2D/VC cross or something, so that the background is developed from the VC so it would be ratio independent. Anyway, just wondering.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

This is a very good question. I have a widescreen with 1920x1200 native resolution, so I have to fly in window mode (not fullscreen) to use the 2D panels.Bachian

Felipe Bachian
I7 4790K@4.6 / ASUS ATX Maximus VII Ranger / 32GB (4x8) 1866Mhz DDR3 Corsair Vengeance / EVGA GTX 1070 6Gb / 2x 480Gb SSD
Honneycomb Alpha Yoke + CH Throttle Quadrant + Saitek Multi Panel + CH Pro Pedals + Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

Microsoft have not confirmed anything about 2D views. I suspect they may be dropped for FSX. We'll see..

That is absolutely incorrect. Mike G. (tdragger) wrote in another thread that FSX will support widescreen format...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Traffic

God I hope that its true and final. My notebook (infact most notebooks nowadays) have nothing but widescreens on them. It would be so great for FSX to support widescreen 2D panels so no more oval gauges.Actually come to think of it, alot of new higher-end desktop LCDs are widescreen too. 4:3 is on its last days.

> That is absolutely incorrect. Mike G. (tdragger) wrote in another thread that FSX will support widescreen format...Since when does support for "widescreen format" imply 2D views will be included? Thats ridiculous. Post the link please so we can read it.. Tdragger is not responding to this thread, there must be a reason!

And by the way I realise you may have seen FSX already. Or you may have it installed on your PC. So you may know for sure, but MS haven't said anything yet..

Guest lnuss

FS2004 already handles wide resolutions. I've used it at 1280x720 and 1920x1080 on my HDTV. And it works fine in both the virtual and 2D cockpits, as well as spot, tower, etc.So I'd expect FSX to do the same.Larry N.

Guest Traffic

Yes, FS2004 supports widescreen but the 2D panels do not. If you've ever noticed the 2d panels on 16by9/10 displays you'll notice stretched gauges which is the problem. Ofcourse, you can drag in the sides of the panel, but it doesn't work too well.What I'm hoping for is support for 2d Panels in widescreen.

I'd like to see a screen shot from the 1920 x 1080 screen. The gauges should be quite oval at that resolution in 2D. Are you sure the screen is not 1600 x 1080, which would be a little stretched, but not as bad as 1920 x 1200 resolution of my monitor. I live with it, but I can understand that some people are annoyed by it.640 x 480 = 1.33 = circular 2D gauges1024 x 768 = 1.331600 x 1080 = 1.481920 x 1200 = 1.601920 x 1080 = 1.78Note that the further you get from a ratio of 1.33, the more oval the gauges become in 2D, unless you redo the panel background and gauge layout, which I have done for my favorite airplane.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Can somebody clarify something for me re widescreen on FS2004 ,if you set a widescreen ratio do you see a wider field of vision out of the window and can a widescreen projector straighten it all out ?cheers Keith

Guest vas_yan

I think it depends. If your 4:3 monitor is, say, 1280x1024 and you go to a widescreen 1280x720 the width of vision will be the same. If the horizontal resolution of the widescreen monitor is 1360x768 or higher you gain those extra pixels in width. Does it make sense?Regards,

it's already been confirmed that in fact there will be no panels at all.Because of popular demand of cockpit builders all panels and virtual cockpits as well as all aircraft models have been scrapped and FS will now feature FDEs and scenery only.

Hiyeah sort off,so fsim doesnt squeeze the picture for a 16:9 projector to unsqueeze !it opens up a bit more of the forward view,I will do some experiments tonight with the projector and see how it goescheers

Guest vas_yan

I think that you will love the result ;)As a sidenote, I believe its about time addon developpers start producing 16: 9 versions of their 2D panels. It could be the answer to the "correct perspective vs. functionality" dilemma.Edit: Apparently 16: 9 without a space in the middle equals to :9. Ah, the wonders of technology...Regards,