Sign in to follow this  
nonflyingdutchman

pc or xbox??

There has to be at least one Xbox console player on these forums? I have searched for Xbox forums to see what their reaction is and for the life of me I can't find any really active ones? But I have a feeling that forums are for old dude like me too 🙂 So if there is ONE Xbox console owner on here, tell us what that community is saying if anything about it?

Thanks! 

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

8 hours ago, Learjet777 said:

There has to be at least one Xbox console player on these forums? I have searched for Xbox forums to see what their reaction is and for the life of me I can't find any really active ones? But I have a feeling that forums are for old dude like me too 🙂 So if there is ONE Xbox console owner on here, tell us what that community is saying if anything about it? 

Thanks! 

I guess I'm the only Xbox owner here.  I own an Xbox One X, and will probably buy the new Scarlett Xbox next year.  I don't read the Xbox forums.  But from the comments posted on the official Xbox YouTube channel, it seems a lot of them are VERY excited at the possibility of recreating 9/11 and crashing into buildings....sigh.  I don't see a flight simulator holding their attention for very long.

As far as which platform to buy it for, Xbox or PC, it shouldn't matter.  It will most likely be a 'Play Anywhere' game sim.  Meaning, if you buy the game sim through the Xbox Store or the Windows Store, it's yours to play on both Xbox One and Windows 10 PC at no additional cost.

Plenty of Xbox owners here and out there in the normal world. Most of them are not teens either despite what the popular opinion is. We were there at the start of computer gaming and we are still at it. Flight sim is my main hobby but I’ve had every major home computer and console since the 80s.

Only today I met a new colleague who was enthusing about red dead redemption and he is also of a more mature age. I find it funny that the cliques on avsim that are very derogatory to console gamers actually have more in common with some of the early teen fan boys that get obsessively possessive about their chosen brand! There is a level of irony there that I find delicious😀. Most ‘gamers’ are normal people not some invented teen caricature, see this owner demographic.

xbox-live-demographics.jpg?itok=gFBhcIn9

If you said you liked films, nobody would bat an eyelid and yet the gaming industry is massive. This gives you an idea of the scale of it as it is often underestimated by people who don’t understand it. It’s come a long way!

media133.jpeg

Mostly I use the Xbox for driving sims/games and for rpg and story driven epics like the Witcher series, gta, red dead redemption, assassins creed, fallout etc. You get the idea. This is for gaming on a big screen on a big couch with friends.

The pc is for flight sim primarily on another big screen but up close this time. Other pcs are sometime used for driving sims as well as console along with wheel, pedals and racing rig.

Anyway, the point of my post is mainly a rant as I’m fed up of people not understand what consoles are (ready made windows 10 machine in a box) and that they are not just portals for mindless running around shooting at stuff (some is but some is also serious shooting stuff!). Also that just because you like consoles doesn’t mean you don’t take your simming VERY seriously!😁

Anyway, to answer the point of this thread, I will have it on both pc and Xbox for different reasons. I will likely have it on my gaming laptop with travel joystick as well as my main sim rig. In regards to where Xbox owners hang out, the answer is everywhere and no where. Wherever normal people reside. People only tend to go on forums when they have a niche interest like us.

Chris

Edited by tutmeister
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tutmeister said:

point of my post is mainly a rant as I’m fed up of people not understand what consoles are (ready made windows 10 machine in a box) and that they are not just portals for mindless running around shooting at stuff (some is but some is also serious shooting stuff!). Also that just because you like consoles doesn’t mean you don’t take your simming VERY seriously!😁

That's exactly what consoles are, for kids. Ignore those figures you posted, totally inaccurate. MSFS will be for kids and casual plane game fans. Consoles would also be where most of the female gaming numbers come from, young girls on their consoles. I'll be the only one not surprised when MSFS is released.

Mark Daniels

1. They are based on 0.003% of Xbox users

2. Figures are from MS, not independent.

3. Where, how and why they pulled this incredibly select group to survey only MS could tell you although I could take a reasonable guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Xbox_One_video_games

A 2 second search and here are some of the best selling games. Young people games for a young people market who want to blow things up. How many copies of a hardcore flight sim do people really think will sell on this platform? How many hardcore sims on console? A few soft racing games which appeal to every male of any age and that's about it.

MS would be nuts to create another FSX in today's modern era. As I have tried to point out, "Simulator" is a very loose term in 2019. They did not in any way state MSFS will be a continuation of the franchise as we know it.

Mark Daniels

22 minutes ago, Skywatcher said:

MS would be nuts to create another FSX in today's modern era. As I have tried to point out, "Simulator" is a very loose term in 2019. They did not in any way state MSFS will be a continuation of the franchise as we know it.

I'm a little more skeptical than many of the posters here until I see the final product, but I'd say the one significant indication that MSFS might be a "continuation of the franchise" is that it's being released on PC as well as Xbox.

If the new MSFS was going to be another lightweight effort like MS Flight, it would be easy enough to just release it as console-only. Supporting it on PC as well as the new Xbox could be read as a message about what they're aiming for (I hope). Also a risk, because it builds expectations, like the ones running rampant here on Avsim. Anything they release for the PC called Microsoft Flight Simulator will have to deliver the goods.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

5 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Anything they release for the PC called Microsoft Flight Simulator will have to deliver the goods.

No, it will just have to deliver sales. Using that name again will deliver sales. Badges alone sell products.

Don't get me wrong, I hope like heck to see a modern MSFS again but there has to be something to be excited about beyond what has so far been released. Everything released thus far points to plane game. To sell to 63 million Xbox users, the one genre that won't sell anything will be a simulator!

From the MS points:

I mentioned the term simulator already.

Optimized for PC is simply selling you the "simulator" idea again.

Content does not mean SDK. SDK means SDK.

Working with the community less than 18 months from release is not working with the community.

Regarding controllers on their point 5, pointless.

I'm basing everything on what has been released by MS, not fantasy ideas. What has been released so far is structured marketing to sell the product to as many people as possible.

You only have to look at what they have released, the current gaming markets across PC and Xbox, EVERYTHING points to MSFS being a modern plane game. It may be the best modern plane game ever released but as a replacement for any hardcore flight sim, absolutely no chance at this stage.

I will be totally happy to be completely wrong on everything I have posted and will happily take a slap in the face from every FS user! lol

Mark Daniels

Should say, points 1,2 and 5 all try to sell the "simulator" idea to you. The words "Continuation of the Franchise" would be the obvious choice for all this.

Note the one simulator feature they mentioned from the outset was the everyday flight planner! Really? Mentioning one of the million other hopes on this forum wouldn't have been a better idea over the everyday and totally expected in a flight sim flight planner? Not even a new advanced feature of the flight planner was mentioned because it likely doesn't have one. It again all points to how advanced this game will be and that a flight planner looks like it will be a "simulator" highlight.

They have to release more. It all points to a modern and very developer controlled game.

Edited by Skywatcher

Mark Daniels

There is a natural tendency of the simming community to create its own little wars   

Over the years I've seen AMD vs. Intel, Nividia vs ATI, FS vs XP, PC vs Apple 2 then Mac , PC vs Box, Airliners vs GA, casual simming vs "study level" and, of course, PMDG vs the Rest of the World 😃

Do I miss some ?

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

21 hours ago, Skywatcher said:

Did you actually read the stuff that MS has posted regarding their goals for the new FS?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

17 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Did you actually read the stuff that MS has posted regarding their goals for the new FS?

Yes, they stated: And while all of us have our own personal associations with flight, the entire team is committed to the singular goal of capturing the artistry, mastery, and essence of flying.

Now, this could mean anything! It's as open to interpretation as a statement can get.

Solid, concrete confirmation that MSFS will be a fully fledged flight sim has not been made anywhere. Everything is being sidestepped with alternative wording.

Mark Daniels

I'll play it on both, to see which is the better experience. I have a ~5 year old PC, but also an Xbox One X which I suspect is faster than my PC. I have Game Pass Ultimate through July 2021, so it should be included on both platforms. But it's coming to PC first I think?

Edited by Redline65

AMD have announced that they are going to bundle a free three month XBOX game pass with there new GPUs. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg