Sign in to follow this  
AndyCYXU

Rift S vs Vive Pro ?

Hi guys i just recently got into VR and tried it with HTC Vive basic (bought it for my son) and really enjoyed the experience except for resolutions not being quite up to my liking inside P3D, but it is one of the lowest res head sets.

So.. i have been watching various reviews of the flowing HP Reverb, Samsung Odyssey +, Rift S not much about Vive Pro and Flight sim tho...

I was very excited about HP Reverb until I watched reviewer going back to his Rift S lol...it was using Xplan11 mind you which i do not use.

I use p3D and was wondering if anyone can recommend Rift S vs Vive Pro, the other two (HP Reverb and Samsung) i have scratched off after watching more reviews.

I am looking mostly to achieve best image quality in P3D for readiness of gauges and scenery of course 🙂

I think if someone was to say that Vive Pro looks same as Rift S i would choose Rift S due to the price point and i think i like controllers better. Controllers aren't a big issue as i would use fly inside and find using a mouse quite friendly inside pmdg 737 for example.

Vive Pro however does have better resolution over Rift S so without being able to try it I would suspect Vive Pro should look much better...

Valve index coming out is likely out of the question since i am from Canada they don't want to sell to Canada "pricks" so to much pain in the rear to buy it and HTC cosmos is... well a total mystery (rollingeyes) lol at this point in time.

Thanks for any input hopefully some one who used them both can chip in.

Andy

My system specs are 1080Ti and 4790K nothing overclocked. I have no issue running with the basic HTC vive at the moment i still use P3dv3 but would likely upgrade to p3dv4 once i am happy with VR Headset, for now i am just trying it on old p3dv3

Edited by AndyCYXU
wrong word

1 hour ago, AndyCYXU said:

Vive Pro however does have better resolution over Rift S so without being able to try it I would suspect Vive Pro should look much better...

That does not necessarily follow, once you factor in the difference in screen door effect between the two because of the different display types. (Pentile Vive vs Oculus RGB Stripe)

This evens the playing field, quite a bit!

Pentile-vs-RGB-1024x512.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I totally agree that is why i am asking it in the forum hoping someone who had experience with both could way in.

I like that Rift S is available for pretty much half the price of Vive Pro... well i wait see if someone had experience with both.

Found this here hmm... looks like Rift S wins here

https://imgur.com/Qx8J8EE

Edited by AndyCYXU

I believe that Rift S is the overall strongest HMD out there today, considering image fidelity, software, controllers, performance, no. of other applications available besides flightsim, and price. 

• Upvote 1

I can't compare I just am a recent Rift S adopter.

Especially with using supersampling with Occulus Tray tools I achieve quite a good image sharpness.

I haven't looked into a Vive Pro, as in I haven't had one on my head, but I find it hard to believe that it would be twice as good as the Rift S for more than twice the price. Bang for buck, Rift S.

In my humble opinion.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

All that has been said above about Rift S.

Not to mention that the Vive Pro is the same resolution as the O+ and the O+ is ~half the price and has Anti screen door effect on lenses.

Im not sure why anyone would look at the Vive Pro at this point.

Thank you guys for your comments I went with Rift S and i can tell you that it looks much much better then HTC Vive (basic) that was kind of a no brainier lol but still.   😛

I am very new to VR so will have to figure out where all these " using supersampling with Occulus Tray tools " and other gadgets are. 😄

However trying it just now I am very happy with it.

The only negative thing i can say is that it is very uncomfortable to wear when compared with HTC Vive. I will have wait for some 3rd party replacement (foam pieces) to come out, but yeah for now just find a sweet spot and its not too bad.

Again thanks for your comments guys.

Andy

On 6/24/2019 at 5:38 AM, Farlis said:

I can't compare I just am a recent Rift S adopter.

Especially with using supersampling with Occulus Tray tools I achieve quite a good image sharpness.

What level of supersampling are you finding works for you?

6 hours ago, soloraj said:

What level of supersampling are you finding works for you?

Everything above 1.5, my personal preference is 1.7

• Like 1

I find that I can go as low as 1.3 and still see everything clearly with the Rift S. Saves on performance. 

would have gotten valve but the pricks don't sell in Canada.... 😒

there's company that will buy it and ship it to me but the cost after exchange and all additional additional 15%

from watching reviews so far tho Rift is better bang for the buck

it would basically cost me 3x Rift.. so yeah ... i pass for the time being lol

Edited by AndyCYXU