Sign in to follow this  
Guest grapesh

Water landing in FSX.

Guest Water Mango

I heard this asked before but seen no real answer concerning this. Are the FSX guys planning on working on water landing in FSX??? FS9 is far too arcadish in this area where I never even bother downloading great add-ons like Carenado's latest 206 amphibian. Landing on a moving body of water is one of the last major advances that need addressing in the Flight Simulator series and I put its importance right up there next to previous first including default ATC in FS2k2 and the first helo being added in FS98. It would be nice to finally see what it

That would require modelling moving water.And that's not just waves created by wind, but currents in rivers, turbulence generated by waves and currents running into obstacles, tidal effects, etc. etc.Don't know if that's really a good way for the MSFS team to spend their time when even dedicated applications take a lot of effort to create and eat a lot of CPU cycles.I'd love to see it, but is it worth the effort?

Guest DreamFleet

A former FS developer and good friend of mine, Alexander Lawrence, has modeled moving water, ships and more in his company's software, however, I'm not sure you will want to pay the price of this stuff. http://www.simsquared.com/Of course there is no pricing listed at his web site. With stuff like this, "if you have to ask the price, then..." ;-)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

he would, for a shipping simulator it's essential.Doesn't matter if the calculations take up 40% of your CPU either, there's precious little else for the physics engine to do :)

Guest grapesh

HiIf MS had Sail Simulator team, they could introduce basic fluid dynamics and wave dynamics into FS world. Otherwise, I don't see MSFS team writing an ocean model istead of improving weather, aircraft dynamics, traffic, etc. Cheers,

Guest tdragger

We're working on some stuff. That's all I can say right now.

Guest christian

excellent. quite a tough and complex one I recon, but looking forward to any improvements.Christian

Guest Water Mango

Thanks 'tdragger' for the effort you guys are doing. All these guys are crying 'wolf' about the subject and offering up sites dedicated to shipping. All I'm asking for is a better feel of landing on water than what we have today. I could care less about ocean currents and huge waves. When a plane hits the water or maneuvers in the water that's all I care about. The ocean in FSX doesn't have to look that much different than how it looks in FS9 as long as it has a more realistic effect on the aircraft when you

Guest Foxtrot 125 Tango

>We're working on some stuff. That's all I can say right now.I'm really optimistic! :9

Guest grapesh

Well, at least, according to the CES video preview, the boats are heaving in FSX, and something weird is happening with coast, probably waves rolling in, however, it might be just a visual bug (look at the coast in front of yacht when helicopter is taking off). The surf is quite a complicated feature to model and render, although there are some algorithms available to simplify its dynamic rendering. I'm wondering if surface waves in FSX will also be related to the wind speed if any water motion is really going to be implemented.Cheers,