Sign in to follow this  
ashepherd316

Sky Textures

I tried ENVTEX but was not satisfied with the day sky and clouds textures although the dawn/dusk was nice.

Got Skyforce 3D yesterday and so far so good. Will probably keep it for sky and clouds textures. ENVTEX would then be useful for water textures.

Using ASP4 weather engine.

- TONY -

40 minutes ago, ashepherd316 said:

what sky textures do you use on sky force thanks.

Is your question directed to one particular individual ?    If not, then the answer is >>> literally thousands of different combinations, you can create your own combination or choose from hundreds of different themes submitted by a community of Sky Force Users.If you're not familiar with how to use Sky Force, you may want to visit the REX site and learn more or watch the many videos available., 

WAT1460.png

@vcarlo : >>> literally thousands of different combinations <<<: that's the problem: trying/choosing when there are so many combinations is diffcicult.

@ashepherd316 : I'm using at this time:

Dawn Sky: Set 02 London

Day Sky: Set 31 Colorado

Dusk Sky: Set 01 Barcelona

- TONY -

Pay attention to the names, not the numbers.

- TONY -

Hi there,

I'm trying to get the sky textures as close to realistic as possible. 

I have P3D 4.5, Active Sky and REX Sky Force and although there has been overall improvement, I find when I look at high altitude in the sim vs reality, its not even close.

For example, when I take the Alphasim SR-71 up to 73,000 feet, there's just light blue when in reality you only get a small amount (you're in the top 10% of atmosphere) and A LOT of black.

Check out my profile pic for a comparison (haven't worked out how to upload a pic here yet).

Kind regards

Edited by Incar956
To show a clearer comparison photo

5 hours ago, Incar956 said:

Hi there,

I'm trying to get the sky textures as close to realistic as possible. 

I have P3D 4.5, Active Sky and REX Sky Force and although there has been overall improvement, I find when I look at high altitude in the sim vs reality, its not even close.

For example, when I take the Alphasim SR-71 up to 73,000 feet, there's just light blue when in reality you only get a small amount (you're in the top 10% of atmosphere) and A LOT of black.

Check out my profile pic for a comparison (haven't worked out how to upload a pic here yet).

Kind regards

Sometimes it seems like the old FSX dealt better with sky colours. I'm starting to force myself into getting used to one combination I feel to be the one more similar to reality, even so it will be just one spot, cause every day/location/weather is a different one. As to these software that deal with textures I've never found a ready one that would make me happy out of the box, so lately I've been mixing them up to make my own combination. It's difficult because sky textures also mess with haze colours.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

Yeah, I think you're right Wanthuyr. I took a look at how X Plane 11 compares and it does a better job. Having said that. That program has it limitations too like a maximum autopilot limit of 60,000 feet. That's ok with a Concorde but not with a 85,000+ feet Blackbird.