Sign in to follow this  
Guest Foxtrot 125 Tango

Thoughts on FSX

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing !":-laugh1 Not sure where that quote came from, from but guess there is an element of truth in it.Still, I think I made some valid areas on which focus could be made.Best regards,Stuart Hyett

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

>why would that matter anyway?>Is an application somehow inferior because it's written in language X instead of Y?>btw, if you read Mike's post you see no mention of C at all.Ok I thought this was mentioned in one of the Channel 9 videos about FS. Now I am watching it again and I can't find it, so I might have been mistaken. Why does it matter? I guess for real world pilots like you it won't matter. So long as the program works, who cares right?

nor does it matter for real programmers :)I'll use pretty much whatever will give the results required, except I make an exception for Visual Basic (which I hate with a vengeance, and wouldn't call a programming language).Of course I don't know every programming language (only about 15-20 to a degree that goes beyond being able to understand your average code that's written in it, out of several hundred at least that are in use today anywhere) and will be more productive in some than in others, but I'm always willing to learn something new.

>Re. weather - I was thinking more of the suddden change in>cloud cover - one minute you can be in overcast conditions and>then suddenly clear skies - or vis-a-versa. I have no idea>what causes this sudden shift, which doesn't happen in>reality. Well, I follow you on this one... Flying along in heavy IMC and then suddenly breaking out into bright, VFR conditions can happen in real life, but looking behind you and seeing no sign of the weather you just exited simply cannot happen! ;)Just for fun, right after this happened a few days ago, I cancelled my FP, performed a 180 and flew back along the same track I had been on......sure enough, with no visible signs at all, suddenly I'm back in full IMC conditions again... :-erks

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi,Luckily controlled by a cfg file and easily rebuilt when needed. :)And BTW, that scenery database has caused problems for some people when it didn't update properly (i.e. deletion of the .dat files and restarting FS fixed it).Take care,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

While on the subject of scenery load -- using filemon you can see addon sceenry files that are coninuously being accessed, even though they are nowhere near the actual scene. I'm not sure if this is due to poor design (by addon maker), or lack of detail in the sdk on how to properly set the scene bounds, or not all of the algorithm can be accessed through the available xml (or maybe BGLC) elements. ISTR some discussion that addon libraries couldn't be geographically constrained like the default ones.Also FS9 AFAIK introduced the "feature" of having to restart to force a read of changed files into the scenery cache.Edit:on the subject of programmiong language, that is really a function of the software engineering tooling environment available for the development and target systems, and to a certain extent the availability of trained programmers. Using something like DirectX on the target probably helps push in the direction of C++ or .NET. Of course, higher authority may dictate use of something like XNA too.scott s..

Guest tdragger

It's the whole hardware fogging thing, Bill. We're workin' on it.

Guest tdragger

Hey, in the end it's all 1's and 0's, right?

Guest tdragger

Could be that the developer doesn't set the bounds tight enough (or at all). That is a real bad thing 'cause it forces FS to load more files than it needs.

Guest Fjorko

>It's the whole hardware fogging thing, Bill. We're workin' on>it.Now THAT is music to my ears !!!If you get it fixed I will be the happiest man alive!:-)

>It's the whole hardware fogging thing, Bill. We're workin' on>it.I'm certain y'all are, Mike... ;)

Fr. Bill    

Down here in The South we know there's one sure-fire way to spot a Yankee. It's saying "y'all" when talking to just one person that gives them away :-) .Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

> Down here in The South we know there's one sure-fire way>to spot a Yankee. It's saying "y'all" when talking to just one>person that gives them away :-) See'ins how I'm a True Blue Florida Cracker, I ought'r to take umbrage at that there crack... *:-* I war speak'n 'bout the whole team! :-bluegrab Why ah hain't never felt so insulted in my whole born put-together! :-beerchug

Fr. Bill    

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

>Hey, in the end it's all 1's and 0's, right?Uh no.. Mike. It's binary. Only two values.That means it's all 1's and 2's[/i}...:(Cheers,Jason "I'm an artist, not a mathemetician"

Guest Foxtrot 125 Tango

>Good ideas...>>Especially the last one !!!>>I fear that FSX may be too far in development for them to>incorporate any of these suggestions now though ! :-(True! but then again, perhaps they're way ahead of us on all these suggestions!! Sure would be nice.:9 Regards, Mark.