Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

Ifly 747-400 Versus

...is on currently on sale so I'm considering adding it to my hangar. The obvious question: how does it compare to PMDG's version(s)? What are ifly's drawbacks; how is the cost/value ratio?

Thanks!

Ricardo

The thread you linked went South - just like most comparison threads on Avsim - in a New York minute, after that it becomes exhausting trying to find the info amongst the chest beating. 

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

The thread you linked went South - just like most comparison threads on Avsim - in a New York minute, after that it becomes exhausting trying to find the info amongst the chest beating. 

Flight1 provides a 30 day moneyback guarantee.  Try it for yourself.  

That being said.  Anyone who says iFly products are weak in systems and depth are just blind.  Real 747 pilots will stand by the iFly 747 and say it operates like the real aircraft (including myself). The biggest difference between the two is the bells and whistles.  Visual/audible shaking of the cockpit and engine pods on PMDG.  More optional features, PBR.  Both are excellent products.  If you are budget limited and don't think it's going to be your primary aircraft to fly repeatedly why spend $200 for for the 400 and -8. Just get the iFly.  The iFly 747 is what I used to prepare myself for my line orientation flights at Atlas. I showed up completely prepared as a result.  The if that isn't a testament to the quality product it is then nothing is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

The thread you linked went South

It did, however I linked to a specific reply from a real world 747 pilot.  I think he is one of the most qualified in the thread (in addition to the other 747 pilots) to make a fair comparison.

yeah, I read that reply, and it was helpful, so thanks for that, and then I couldn't help myself and read the rest of the thread....

@thiboda57 - thanks for your input also, my only concerns are a) I need to find short to medium haul routes to fly and b) that many airlines seem to be phasing out the 747-400.

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

yeah, I read that reply, and it was helpful, so thanks for that, and then I couldn't help myself and read the rest of the thread....

@thiboda57 - thanks for your input also, my only concerns are a) I need to find short to medium haul routes to fly and b) that many airlines seem to be phasing out the 747-400.

There are tons of flights out there that I do month in month out that range from <15 minutes to 14+30 hrs.  Put stab fuel in the passenger aircraft and you can go further in the 400.  Longest I did in a -8 was 17+45 block time.  The thing you shouldn't be trying to figure out isn't what routes are out there that meet your time constraints. More which airports can support that size or aircraft.  Because the 74 isn't a scheduled route only aircraft.  Charters are very very very common with the majority of the operators that fly them.  Be adventurous.  Seems this community is a little wound up on flying only real world scheduled flights when there is such a HUGE amount of charters on about every airframe out there.

• Upvote 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

19 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

Seems this community is a little wound up on flying only real world scheduled flights when there is such a HUGE amount of charters on about every airframe out there.

Exactly.  It is a FLIGHT simulator, not a real world simulator.  Fly any plane, any route (real or not), whenever you want.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/23/2019 at 5:49 AM, Ricardo41 said:

...is on currently on sale so I'm considering adding it to my hangar. The obvious question: how does it compare to PMDG's version(s)? What are ifly's drawbacks; how is the cost/value ratio?

Thanks!

Ricardo

Hey Ricardo;

The responses you got are on the ball. I have been flying the iFLY 747-4/8 since it came out and I have no regrets. I did decide to get the PMDG 747 then the 8 for something new. I had the old PMDG 747 and them got to iFLY V2 while waiting for the latest PMDG. Anyway to your question I have had the PMDG 747-4 and -8 since December 2018 and I do like it very much. However I do still like the iFLY and do fly it time to time that's how good it is.

Here are some of my observations.

• The PMDG has more "bells and whistles" more attention to details in terms of cockpit features and sounds. I am still comparing the FMC features and accuracy. The PMDG definitely has more options/features in terms of aircraft set up and options. Keep in mind the PMDG is much newer than the iFLY
  • I think (IMHO) the iFLY external aircraft texture is a little better than the PMDG. However, this may be by design for better FPS (less load on the system). I am running FSX and not P3D. I think at least from the videos I have seen the P3D texture seems to be better than FSX.
  • The FPS is a little better on the PMDG again, this may be due to the fact that the texture "in my opinion" is better on the iFLY at least in FSX.
  • The wing flex is a little more fluid in the iFLY than the PMDG. The PMDG is a little more jerky.

Summary:

You wouldn't be disappointed with either. Having owned both I am not disappointed owning the iFLY and i will make that decision again if i had to.

PMDG is expensive (especially the P3D) plus you have to pay for the upgrade for the -8.The -8 on the PMDG has some fantastic features (especially on the P3D) But then again if you are not concerned about money then definitely get the PMDG over the iFLY. I love to fly plus i have a PPL so this is my hobby.

If money is a concern then get the iFly and you will definitely enjoy flying it. The -8 upgrade is also free😊.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Forshaw.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

@Forshaw thanks for the detailed info. 

You're quite welcome Ricardo.

Good luck and happy flying whichever one you choose.

Cheers.

Forshaw..

On 6/23/2019 at 2:20 PM, Ricardo41 said:

and b) that many airlines seem to be phasing out the 747-400.

Very true, but not because it  still isn't great but for pure economic/maintenance reasons and rightfully so. These new High By-Pass turbofan engines now fitted to 2 engines aircraft (787-777 /X coming soon) is much more economical to operate. and can do most of the 747 routes and fill the plane. It's tough to fill up a 747 with passengers going from USA to Europe or sometimes Asia especially if there are multiple flights per day which most do have these days on the popular routes.

Anyway there are a lot of  Airlines that will continue to operate the 747 for sometime in the future (Asia mostly).

Cheers.

Forshaw.