Sign in to follow this  
Guest GA Flyer

Is ForceFeedback Fixed in FSX?

Guest GA Flyer

Question for the ACES Team in regards to forcefeedback. In FS9 and the patch 9.1 there is a possible bug where sometimes on the ground you only get 3 fps when FF is enabled. Since this possible bug was missed in the patch I was wandering if it will be fixed in FSX or is FF just a feature that will go away?Jack

Guest tdragger

I don't about the bug. What are the steps to reproduce it? If we can repro it here there's a chance we can fix it.In general, though, Force Feedback is a technology that we're not currently investing in.

Guest freff

>TrackIR is it the same with that?>>And what do you mean with invest? It

Guest GA Flyer

Tdragger,Thanks for the reply. I did call it a possible bug but do know I was one of many to have the problem and never heard, read or found an answer to fix the problem.Heres how to repro it. Enable FF. Thats about it. Its very random and what happens is no matter what the frames are that your getting in the air as soon as you are on the ground its a flat 3FPS. Dont happen all the time and not attached to any fields but do remember it happening in default scenery and at KSEA.When FS9 first came out many people spoke of it and it didnt seem to be any system parts like video card or cpu things.Heres some search topicshttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchLike I said, never found an answer for it but I do like using FF. Not for realism by holding the joystick but I like the rattle my joystick gives on the ground. Adds to noises one would find in a small a/c and really gives a feeling of rolling. I have my joystick beside my yoke btw so I really dont use the feel of FF but the sound that it can make.Jack

that means that no (or very little) resources have been scheduled to improve or enhance FF capabilities.Not surprising really, as it doesn't really add anything and isn't a factor for most users (as most users don't use it).

Guest tdragger

We don't develop TrackIR. It's developed by a company called Natural Point.

>that means that no (or very little) resources have been>scheduled to improve or enhance FF capabilities.>Not surprising really, as it doesn't really add anything and>isn't a factor for most users (as most users don't use it).>can you show me stats that prove "most" users don't use it?? I love FF and that is one of the main reasons I prefer my joystick over the CH yoke. Really sad to hear MS isn't interested in FF, I feel it adds a lot to the experience, be it realistic or not, it's better than no feeling.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Derek D

Well I imagine the prevalent reason for the decision to "not invest in FF" is because there are very few FF joysticks on the market. My personal favorite(s) were the MS Sidewinder FF joysticks but for whatever reason Microsoft ceased production of its game peripherals. That decision certainly didn't help in proliferating the technology.

I am surprised that CH Products don't create a FF yoke. There is ample evidence in the motorsport game world that FF adds much to the immersion factor.I think that well executed FF would be great in flights sims as well.I too find Jwenting's comments odd and while there is some element of truth, I believe the lack of adoption is mainly through the lack of devices rather than lack of interest. I sure hope the ACES team put some effort into this area eventually.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia

Guest Jimbofly

I use FSForce and IMO it's brilliant, far better than the default used in FS.I'm happy with that, and if future versions of FSForce work with FSX then I have no reason to complain :)James

Guest freff

>We don't develop TrackIR. It's developed by a company called>Natural Point.Yep, I should have been more clear. I am just hoping those API's that Natural Point use are still there and work with whatever virtual cockpit enhancements that we might see.Thanks

Guest tdragger

They are not using any APIs. The are using bad memory-poking voodoo which broke as soon as we compiled the first build of FSX. :(

Guest tdragger

Chris, <>The main problem is that there's no money to be made in hardware unless you have huge volumes and/or amazing margins. That's why Microsoft got out of the game hardware business and I'm pretty sure why CH doesn't offer FF devices. They cost more to produce but the number of customers willing to pay the added price required to maintain the same margin as a non-FF device is small.<>Flying is different from driving and let me know when you've found that 'well executed FF'. ;) I know many people swear by FSForce but in our experience FF in a civilian flight game never lived up to its potential. I don't think a single person on the FS team uses a FF stick as their main input device.<>The two are inextricably linked. It's the great thing about a free market economy. ;)<>Unless the market dynamics change or there's a true revolution in the way FF is implemented I would not hold your breath.

Guest garwig2

>that means that no (or very little) resources have been>scheduled to improve or enhance FF capabilities.>Not surprising really, as it doesn't really add anything and>isn't a factor for most users (as most users don't use it).>I used to use FF when I was flying with a joystick, when I switched to a yoke I was forced to give up FF since there were (are?) no yokes with FF. FF was neat, but I really can't say that I miss it.