Sign in to follow this  
dazzystar

Got a decent spec rig but poor fps...please help!

Hi All,

I've just returned to FSX after 5 years and installed it today along with SteveFX DX10 and some Orbx addons. I've got an RTX-2070 GPU, i7 6700K 4.00Ghz processor, 16GB ram. I was flying in a stock Cessna 172SP and was only getting about 15-17 fps. I've been playing around with my fsx.cfg and maybe broke something? Any advice / tips really appreciated.

Cheers

Daz

1 minute ago, darrenkarp said:

Any advice / tips really appreciated.

Delete your fsx.cfg or back it up and let FSX rebuild it.  Then download the AVSIM FSX Config guide listed on the right menu and use it.

You don't need a ton of tweaks anymore.

• Upvote 1

Ernest Pergrem

thanks for the speedy reply. I'm also using Nvidia Inspector if that makes any difference? Sorry for the noobish questions!

I highly recommend using the AVSIM FSX set up guide to set up your sim. Locking your sim to 30FPS with a 1/2 Vsync refresh will give you the smoothest results.

Are you using FSX Steam or boxed edition?

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

Over the years I've found that most "fixers" and "config guides" will turn your sim into a FSX Fiddlearound Sim, you'll spend more time under the hood than actually enjoying the game, fixing this, editing that, copying and pasting some dude's shady cfg. parameters. 

In short order you'll have bolloxed up your sim, and you'll spend the next week or so reinstalling everything. Lather, rinse, repeat. 

I don't mess around with "DC 10 fixers", "Nvidia inspectors" or "Radeon detectives" 

I've found that turning down Autogen to "normal" and shutting down most (entirely useless) AI traffic takes the load off significantly. 

With your system, your only limitation is going to be the 4Gig VAS limitation of a 32bit software. And no amount of investing in this or that remedy is going to "fix" that. 

I have a 4 year old rig - i5, 8gigs ram, a Radeon card I can't even remember the name of. My fps is locked to 25.

Works for me. 

Another tip: don't fly in and out of highly detailed scenery. I mean, there are dudes posting videos on youtube, where they start their flight a EGGL from Aerosoft, then fly into a FlyTampa scenery, only to wonder why their sim says hasta la vista mother...as they are about to touch down. 

Another tip: don't waste your money on $50 airport scenery that you are going to look at for 2 minutes or so. Buy a few in and around where you fly, for the rest use freeware scenery. 

I use:

https://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx.html

and

https://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx.html

You'll find visual upgrades to the default look, but they won't kill your VAS before you even had the chance to take off. 

That is the beauty of FSX-Steam: if there's a DTG sale on Steam, you can buy this thing for close to nothing, and - using the great freeware that this community has provided over the years - never have to spend another dime. Coupled with a few choice add ons, if you do decide to spend money, and, let's be honest, you can get 80-90% of the visuals you can get with that "other sim".

Edited by Ricardo41

Robin Heinis                                                                                                                    SIM Pilot 
FSX-SE DX10 Preview mode with Steve's DX10 Fixer..PMDG MD-11..NGX..777..747 v3.."PMDG made EZ" (EZdok / ChasePlane profile package I made for all PMDG airliners, see AVSIM library)
Addons: ORBX..REX 4..REX SF..AS16/ASCA..EZCA..FS Global Ultimate NG..FlyTampa..FSFX..FS Passengers X..FS Real Time..FS2Crew..GSX..Navigraph..PFPX..TOPCAT..Pro-ATC/X..UT2..
PC specs: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz..ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING..Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB..4x Samsung 850 EVO..2x WD Black in RAID 1..Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Overclock as high as you can go and/or turn down settings. CPU speed is king.