Sign in to follow this  
Bachian

Gmax for FSX??

Guest Dan G Martin

I've used Multigen and you are right about it having a lot of aviation related goodies(it's probably the best Open Flight app around) but since it's also an Open G.L app(at least on a SGI) and very expensive I doubt many (like you have said) would be able to use it. Perhaps with the new light standards that will be in the rendering engine we will be able to pull off some really good lighting effects. Cheers. Dan

>tdragger's comments are encouraging. If I remember correctly>discrete stated that gmax was being discontinued as a>stand-alone product. That certainly means you can no longer>download it from discrete's site and it would not be>supported.You can still download and register GMax at the TurboSquid website:http://turbosquid.com/gmaxAll the help and tutorial files are available there as well.The real problem is that ACES aren't able to write the export module for it any longer... and without that module, there's no way to get any created content OUT of GMax... ;(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

How about FSDSv3? Will the capability remain to use it to full potential with FSX, or is that something that Sinclair and Abacus will have to address?Pete S.

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

>How about FSDSv3? Will the capability remain to use it to>full potential with FSX, or is that something that Sinclair>and Abacus will have to address?>>Pete S.As an FSDS user this issue is important to me :)

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

>How about FSDSv3? Will the capability remain to use it to>full potential with FSX, or is that something that Sinclair>and Abacus will have to address?>>Pete S.As I said in an earlier post on this thread; "our intent is to move to support as many packages as possible," and we've given advice and support to Louis Sinclair several times over the past couple of releases.Keep in mind though, that Louis has effectively been writing his own stand alone 3D package. That's a pretty impressive achievement, and a lot of hard work. As 3D tech progresses it is likely to become harder and harder for him to continue to upgrade FSDS. That being said, Louis and FSDS have always been pretty resourceful, so I wouldn't be surprised to see many future versions.Cheers,Jason

Guest DC-9

Hi Dan,Yeah, it's definitely a wonderful program (Multigen). That's the main reason why I would like to see the support for it. Even though it's OpenFlight/OpenGL based, I'm almost certain an exporter could be written for it. It is expensive, but in reality, you really do get what you pay for. I guess essentially, that's the cost of doing business. Personally, I'm not satisfied with what 3DS Max or Gmax have to offer in terms of flexibility or options, especially for airport lighting. I think everyone here that knows anything about aviation knows that the last 2,000' of runway edge lights aren't 'yellow' in reality, but 'amber'. I think FS has a very long way to go in terms of simulating airfield lighting. However, it still does puzzle me as to why they still never got the colors correct... Also, I don't think many, if any airports have all green centerline lights, especially for runway exits. I don't think that's a difficult one to correct. One thing that should really be done, is to make lighting for FS in the SDK much easier to work with in terms of specs., etc. That's one major fall-back the SDK has also.Even though Multigen is expensive, it should be supported for those who have it and use it. Honnestly, I don't think $25,000 is a lot to pay for a program which has all the 'bells and whistles' it has.Allan

Even though Multigen is expensive, it should be supported forthose who have it and use it. Honnestly, I don't think $25,000is a lot to pay for a program which has all the 'bells andwhistles' it has.Well I had a hard time justifying the price of 3DSMax, so I doubt I would be able to do it for Multigen (as would most)Can't you change the light color with the halo BMP??Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest DC-9

Hi Mike,A lot of people can't justify the cost of these programs. I think mainly because they don't realize how much development went into their making. Not to mention, when you have a program such as that, it has a limited market, so the developer has to get a return on their investment to cover their expenses. Not to mention, the support you get with such programs. Given the cost of Multigen, the support is unparalelled compared to support with 3DS Max. Goes back to what I said earlier, you get what you pay for out there.Not to my knowledge with the 'halo.bmp' change the colors. I believe it's hard-coded into FS itself. If you try changing the colors in the halo.bmp file, it changes the other lights colors also.Allan

Guest Dan G Martin

Well I like many other "add-on types" am very happy to see how open the team is now allowed to be and the fact that they are here every day talking with the community (as much as anyone can at this point) about things like plug-ins etc. This I believe bodes well for all of us. BTW you do know that max now has support for some open flight stuff as has Maya since version 4.5 As far as runway lighting goes here in Canada for example we do not vary the colour of the runway edge lighting but do add red lighting to the center line lighting in the last 3000ft alternating red/white on the first 2000 ft and red only on the last 1000ft Flight sim does have this "right". But the point I am makeing is that the standard varies somewhat from country to country. So buy giving us hooks into the lighing the community should be able to come up with some "cool" looking lighting. Cheers Dan

Guest Dan G Martin

Yup you most certanly do get what you pay for and yes the math alone in an advanced app would blow most people a way!. Plus one gets a gerat interface , tool set and API with programs like Multigen and with Maya as well I might add. Cheers Dan

Guest DC-9

Hi Dan,Yeah, they are very open, and I too am happy to see it. Yes, I did know that 3DS Max does have some support for some OpenFlight things, but still very limited. In terms of airport modelling, I feel both 3DS Max and Gmax fall down significantly still. You would think someone would have put together special plugins and such for it by now. Honnestly, I don't see much of a future for either of those 2 programs in the aviation simulation field. I did know that non-instrument runways don't contain the amber lights for the remaining 2,000' of runway. Are you certain that they are non-instrument runways which you are referring to? The FAA/ICAO standards are exceptionally close; some things may be slightly different, but shouldn't differ very much. I did know about the red/white lights on centerline lighting which I think is universally standard.I often hear designers complain about how poorly lighting options are supported in FS in a lot of the forums. Some things are easy to get around, but can be a nightmare when cracking codes, etc. I agree with this fully, and I think the team hasn't really put much focus on this which in turn really cripples the work of talented designers. I certainly hope they sit up and take notice of the problem this time around.Allan

Guest Rayed

>>How about FSDSv3? Will the capability remain to use it to>>full potential with FSX, or is that something that Sinclair>>and Abacus will have to address?>>>>Pete S.>That being said, Louis and FSDS have always been pretty>resourceful, so I wouldn't be surprised to see many future>versions.>>Cheers,>>JasonWould be great to just have format specification, writing a converter shouldn't be hard for any decent 3D package out there.Do you have plans to support skeletal animation in FSX? I was thinking about Superman (complete with glass cockpit and all checklists included) and other flying heroes addon ;). Not to mention walking flight attendants.

Guest Dan G Martin

Well here in Canada all edge lights are white. But on a runway that supports low vis ops centerline lighting is required I.E CatII/III so if the centerline lighting is out of service no CatIIIII ops would be allowed anyway. Like I said it would be hard to support the different lighting standards "out of the box" but if the tools were available then the community could simply add needed national lighting standards when needed. Cheers Dan

>In terms of airport>modelling, I feel both 3DS Max and Gmax fall down>significantly still. You would think someone would have put>together special plugins and such for it by now. Are you a 3d modeler? Have you used Max5, 6, 7 or 8? Have you used GMax?There's nothing that cannot be done with any of them, and the tools are available...Where's the beef?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest DC-9

Hi Bill,Yes I do model, and yes I have used both of those programs. However, I think you're misunderstanding. If there is 'nothing' that can be done with them, then why do they not support lighting palettes, etc.? As a whole, the programs fall down because they do not support a lot of what goes into modelling an airfield. Lighting is a key factor, and should ultimately be modelled since it performs a key navigational function, not only for nighttime, but for low-visibility. That's the beef!Allan