Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

Buying XPlane 11

Hello fliers, I have read that it's best to buy the sim from a downloadable source, someone like Steam rather than buy the set of discs from an order house? Some people have problems with the discs loading correctly and other issues as well. What is your advice? Thanks. 

Regards

Lamar Wright

26 minutes ago, hychewright said:

Hello fliers, I have read that it's best to buy the sim from a downloadable source, someone like Steam rather than buy the set of discs from an order house? Some people have problems with the discs loading correctly and other issues as well. What is your advice? Thanks. 

If you buy it direct you get the first crack at the betas! + why give steam a %? https://www.x-plane.com/desktop/buy-it/

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I have long purchased digital downloads and have no desire to collect FlightSim CDs/DVDs anymore.  Many benefits to going digital!

Best wishes!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Download directly from X-Plane.com  https://www.x-plane.com/

• Like 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I always get the DVDs. Yea...I had one disk that needed replacement when I got X Plane 10...they sent a new one and everything's been good. I don't have to worry about download times or the connection going bad half way through then having to start the whole process over again. If I need to reinstall...no problem worrying about the connection, wait times and using the "key" and getting error messages, etc....you'll see. Once you're in the middle of that fiasco you might wish you had the DVDs...then again I guess many people have no problems at all with the downloads...make sure you have a good solid and fast connection though...I'm on DSL so I wouldn't even think about doing it anyway. I'm getting X Plane 11 today myself and will just hope the disks are ok otherwise I'll have to get a new one but once done any reinstall will be easy. Good luck.

Edited by Will273
  • Like 1

Steam should be starting their summer sale tomorrow which means xplane 11 will likely be on sale.  I am not sure if the xplane direct site will offer a similar sale.  Something worth considering depending upon your needs 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Will273 said:

I always get the DVDs. Yea...I had one disk that needed replacement when I got X Plane 10...they sent a new one and everything's been good. I don't have to worry about download times or the connection going bad half way through then having to start the whole process over again. If I need to reinstall...no problem worrying about the connection, wait times and using the "key" and getting error messages, etc....you'll see.

No need,when you can always make a backup of your download onto a USB stick or multiple dvds.

• Like 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Except in the highly unlikely scenario where you won't be connected to the Internet.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hychewright said:

I bought directly from Laminar, I suggest that as the best route, since it leaves Steam out from being the "Middle Man", one less layer of software to load.  I only use Steam for Steam only titles, then it is fine to use.

John

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

No need,when you can always make a backup of your download onto a USB stick or multiple dvds.

Didn't know you could do that...cool...I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to download it...thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks for all reply's and opinions fliers. Very good ideas indeed! Happy flying.

Regards

Lamar Wright