Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Steinmetz

SID/STAR Procedural Question

I have checked ATC Assigns SIDs/STARS/Approaches in Flt Pln in the P2A Config.  Planning my flight from KBOS P2A suggested runway was 33L.  SID was LBSTA6.  Flight plan was filed as such.  When getting my clearance I was told to expect 22R and the LBSTA6 SID 'as filed'.  LBSTA6 has a different set of waypoints out of KBOS for 22R vs. 33L (begins w/ TJAYY vs. KIRAA) which isn't a problem except that I have filed w/ runway 33L so the flight plan in P2A now isn't going to match.  I didn't see the flight through as I find it frustrating to put in all the time to prep and then have to abort after takeoff, but if I had would P2A have known not to follow the flight plan that I filed or do I need to replan/file in order for it to know I'm going off 22R?  If I have to refile the plan do I need to go through ATC and get clearance again.  Thanks.  Chuck

I find the best way to proceed is to put in the base plan -- i.e. departure and destination, with only waypoints and airways between not including SIDs and STARS. Let ATC select then and enter the SID in the CDU when you are cleared. Except for short journeys I leave the STAR insertion until informed before descent is commenced.

The sort of plan I'm talking about is basically what you get from the internet as "real world routes" -- the SID and STAR usually aren't included.

Edited by Pete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Chuck,

There are many factors that could cause the departure runway to differ from what you planned.  However, if you check the option to "Force Pilot Runway Selection" it should reduce or eliminate that occurrence.

If you plan before you connect to the SIM, then there is a chance that once connected, the weather will be different and the selected departure runway will change, as it seems happened here.  You can reduce this by making sure the SIM has been running for a while and then connect and plan your flight.  Again, checking the "Force Pilot Runway Selection" is the most sure way to reduce this frustration.

Pilot2ATC maintains 2 flight plans.  One is the one displayed to you and the other is the one ATC follows.   When you first file, these two are identical.  But as the flight progresses, ATC may make changes, such as the runway change above.  ATC can only change its version of the flight plan and notify you of the change via the change in clearance.  It is up to you to change the plan that is displayed in P2A as well as the one in the aircraft.  In fact, as long as you change the plan being flown by the aircraft, you should be OK.  But if you want your flight to track correctly on the P2A moving map, you should change and validate the plan in P2A if you are given changes by ATC.  DO NOT File the plan again as that will reset the state of the plans and of the flight.

Dave

Both answers are appreciated and helpful.  Going forward I will plan w/o SIDS/STARS.  Also, knowing that P2A maintains 2 flight plans answers my initial questions.

Thank you Dave and Pete.

Chuck