Sign in to follow this  
Flamingpie

Personal impact of the MFS trailer

I am curious what influence the MFS trailer has had on you all. I sure had an impact on me.

First of all I put my flight sim purchases on hold. I was planning to buy everything that would be released for Aerofly FS 2 but I don't think that's going to happen anymore.

That decision was made easier by my loss of interest in my current sims altogether... I already stopped using P3D (and XP) because it was too much trouble to install it and set it up (and still things wouldn't work as well as I wanted) but my interest in Aerofly FS 2, with its extremely slow progress, has also dropped to all time lows. Last weekend I installed the updated Duchess for AFS2 but after a few minutes of flying I was already bored... because it looks like (word probably not allowed) compared to the MFS trailer.

I have to add though that I've been playing American Truck Simulator more and more recently and I am also looking forward to Deadstick Bush Flight Simulator which promises to be something entirely different: that also doesn't help to keep me interested in current civil flight sims, of course.

I am mainly wondering if there are more people who suddenly lost interest in the current sims...? Or who maybe noticed another impact that the MFS trailer has had on their hobby? I've been flight simming for decades and was actually surprised by how the trailer changed my view on things.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

I'm somewhat in the same boat as I often go months without flying due to the complexity of keeping up-to-date.  But, the announcement actually got me into getting my XP11 install up-to-date and making a few flights. But, in the back of mind, I'm thinking that XP and P3D (which I own but it's not currently installed) will soon be a thing of the past for me.

But that's dangerous thinking! If we put too much hope into MSFS (and I am guilty of that), we can be let down when we see the actual release.  My gut tells me they will live up to our expectations.  Yet, we say that every time we elect a new president or prime minister, don't we?

• Like 2

Rick Abshier

I haven't lost interest but I've spent less time in the sim.  Most of that was replaced by spending time on forums. 😄

Hook

• Like 5

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I've been out of the hobby for a couple of years now as I grew tired of the current offerings. The trailer pulled me back in, and now I'm like a kid at the night before Christmas.

Since FS9 I've always dreamed of being able to fly in realistic and geographically accurate scenery, and for the first time it seems likely to happen. I'm the odd man out here on AVSIM as I'm not terribly interested in accurate flight systems and flight dynamics. To me this hobby has always been about the ability to virtually travel the globe and learn about foreign countries. I'd rather have 10 photo realistic cities to explore, than 100 plausible autogenerated ones. 

Apart from Microsoft Flight I've always loved each new version of FS, and apart from the performance issues, FSX was pretty spectacular. I'm pretty sure I'll have a blast in the new FS as well, although I'm not as young and playful as I used to be (most computer games bore me). 

Edited by simmerhead
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Posted (edited)

I've done very little flying but like Hook, haven't lost interest. I've stopped buying anything new (and came within a hairsbreadth of buying the A2A Cherokee yesterday, but resisted) because I already have a long backlog of stuff to fly and have kept FSX:SE going in addition to P3Dv4 because having bought some of the more expensive items for FSX and not flown them enough, I refuse to buy them again for P3Dv4. If I get my money's worth from them in FSX and still want more, then I'll consider repurchasing. The appearance of a new MSFS on the horizon only confirms that stance.

Of course, I might think differently if I hadn't been such an airplane add-on Sierra Lima Uniform Tango in the past. :biggrin:

Edited by Holdit
Bloody auto-censorhip...

Paul Synnott

Posted (edited)

This will either be a huge disappointment (based on current expectations) or a simming nirvana.  I really hope it turns out more of the latter

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Hello,

this seems to be a case of the grass is always greener on the other side.

It may well be eventually but what we already have can be pretty damned good

and at the moment, there is no grass on the other side.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Reader said:

Hello,

this seems to be a case of the grass is always greener on the other side.

It may well be eventually but what we already have can be pretty damned good

and at the moment, there is no grass on the other side.

What we have is pretty good for sure.  I fired up XP11 again recently after about three months and was amazed at how good it looks.  But, then, I'm thinking how the most recent versions of both P3D and XP may look like antiques soon when compared to what we think we get in the very near future. 

If MSFS is not really the next generation of flight sims, I may find myself spending little time and dollars with what we currently have and spend more time on other activities.

Rick Abshier

It is very common to lose interest for a while then get back to it.  I do that from time to time.  I try to mix simming, sceney making, repaints and shooting FS videos but still, after some time, the game gets a little stale.Actually I am just back from months playing RPGs...

Effect of the trailer ? Too old to believe in trailers. So I didn't jump up and down with joy but I am quite intrigued and interested to know more. I may hold building the new rig I had in mind for a while to see whether we get a better idea of the requirements except if P3Dv5 goes out first.  I won't stop buying sceneries but on a limited scale. There are a couple of aircraft on the radar screen which will be difficult to ignore, the T38A from A2A for instance.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 - Prepar3D v3 on a 4770 @ 4.4 GHz and a 1080 @ 2560*1440 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - My YouTube Channel

On June 9 when the trailer was released, I was averaging 5.5 hours per day in the sim.  It is now down to 1 hour per day with a steady linear decline.

@Holdit  The Cherokee is well worth it and you'll have 12-18 months to get tired of flying it. 🙂  I'm idly considering the Comanche.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Posted (edited)

Well, I wasn't simming as much as I used to even before the trailer, but yes, I have rethought on a lot purchases I was looking into and have regret the last purchases I've made. LOL

Now I will wait for the MSFS 2020 for sure, before going forward on the Hobby. It doesn't mean I will quit simming until then, but I will refrain to spend more money on the hobby.

Now it will be a wait and see game for me. 

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hope (for MS2020) springs eternal... 

I too, devote an inordinate amount of time on Forums, as well as for downloading new offerings.  But I try to do them while also flying long distances on autopilot. 

Posted (edited)

Theres not enough information about the new sim for me to change my simming habits. I see this new sim as possibly being a replacement to AFS2 and P3D for me as it matures. Its really up to what A2A does. I have P3D fully loaded with 95% of all Orbx stuff, 100% of all Flightbeam and FlyTampa stuff and all the A2A stuff and am okay with using that for years to come doing world tours and for use in FSEconomy. I really like how well XP and PilotEdge with the REP 210 in VR give me the best feeling of immersion and plane ownership. Thats were I am putting my spending the most right now, in Orbx scenery for it.

AFS2 is not getting the support on a fast pace but there are a few of Jarrad Marshals Orbx scenery that I would love to have in it. Its a great sim to use as a demo to friends who want to check out VR and flying. From a marketing POV, the best thing any 3rd party developers could do between now and MSFS launch would be to become part of being able to make content for it, work quickly to try and make their current library work for it shortly after launch and then say nothing about if they are working with MS nor what they have about to release for it. Do just like MS did with their teaser video and surprise us with a shock and awe release of their products for the new sim. By doing it that way, they would have a great chance of keeping sales going for the current platforms because as soon as I know A2A, Orbx, FT, FB etc are working on stuff for this sim and this sim has the right stuff to replace any of P3D, XP and/or AFS2, I will stop buying for them.

Edited by Ident

Posted (edited)

I have been flying less and less as the years go by, although I keep things up to date and fly for a few minutes or an hour or so from time to time. That being said the amount of scenery and aircraft investment is staggering and an ever present reminder that hoarders seldom enjoy their treasurers.

I will likely fire everything up and spend some time in a cockpit later today just to keep my hand in, likely the QW 787 out of my CYVR pay ware and admire the Rocky mountains on the way to somewhere, if I feel the urge. It seems that the community is what keeps me attached and engaged more than the hobby itself.

That is why the trailer and all we have heard and seen is so exciting. A chance to have a new era in flight simulation where we can leave the old past behind (except ourselves) and leap forward to something fresh and exciting is, well, fresh and exciting. The best of the stuff we have now looks so old and tired to me.

Will all our dreams come true, or all our fears realized? Unlikely, but I have every reason to hope that MSFS 2020 will be light years ahead of where we are now with the best of P3D or X-Plane. That I think is the most reasonable and probable expectation based upon all the information available.

That is worth being excited about, if one is even willing to be excited and engaged (It's a personal decision). No point hiding safely in the archaic past, but sprinting forward in all areas of life, and the pursuit of better things, whatever they may be!. 

Kind regards, 

Spirit Flyer :smile:

Stephen

Edited by SpiritFlyer
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, domkle said:

It is very common to lose interest for a while then get back to it. 

True, and that has happened with me quite often during the last decades. However, my current loss of interest is directly related to the MFS trailer. After watching it only once I already lost the desire to fire up any of my flight sims. 

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

I haven't lost interest but I've spent less time in the sim.  Most of that was replaced by spending time on forums. 😄

48 minutes ago, LHookins said:

On June 9 when the trailer was released, I was averaging 5.5 hours per day in the sim.  It is now down to 1 hour per day with a steady linear decline.

That's what I experienced too. Although I do have a daytime job and my average was more something like 0.75 hours a day. And come to think of it, I've always been spending more time on flight sim forums (mainly AVSIM) than in the sim...! Really! Even when flying I often come over here! (Don't let my low post count fool you.)

16 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

That is why the trailer and all we have heard and seen is so exciting. A chance to have a new era in flight simulation where we can leave the old past behind (except ourselves) and leap forward to something fresh and exciting is, well, fresh and exciting. The best of the stuff we have now looks so old and tired to me.

Amen to that!

Edited by Flamingpie