Sign in to follow this  
Steve Crain

An Old Pilot in Need of a Vector

I've enjoyed FSX for many years using modest equipment and Windows 7, and I've made major investments in aircraft and scenery.  I recently acquired a new high-end computer to better enjoy FSX capabilities.  So now my frustration begins.......like many of you before me.  Windows 10 will not install my FSX Gold software.  Im a pilot, not a software engineer, and after reading a lot of the discussion concerning Windows 10, I'm concerned that I may not have sufficient life in front of me to experience a successful resolution.  I want to fly......not tweak software.  So, I ask for informed opinion.  Do I bloody myself with Windows 10, install Windows 7 on new equipment (the computer is dedicated to simulation and I have all the 3rd party software I'll ever need) or should I look at the other two platforms.  Your thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks.

Steve,

If the PC is dedicated just to flight sim, you can probably get away with Windows 7. However, there may be issues with your new PC hardware supporting Windows 7, so check into that.

There are others far more knowledgeable than me that I'm sure will add to the thread in time. Good luck, and welcome to AVSIM!

-Bill

Please elaborate about the difficulties installing FSX Gold on Win 10.  Iist of all do not install it into the default location.  Choose something like c:/

Vector, Victor?  Roger, over....huh?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hello Steve,

Have you tried installing FSX in "Compatibility Mode" on your Windows 10 machine?

Not sure what error you are getting when installing, but try this..

Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system, for the setup.exe file in disk 1 of FSX Gold.

Edited by Jude Bradley

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

You might also try to "run as an administrator". And do NOT install it into the default location, like Charlie said. I had troubles until I ran it as an administrator. I haven't had to run it in compatibility mode. 

Further to Charlie's advice..

DON'T install in the default directory eg C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, this can lead to all manner of security issues when trying to run on Win 10

Create a new directory, say C:\FSX and install in there maybe

Interesting. 

I've installed FSX on three W10 machines. Don't remember if I installed as admin. Always a good idea, though. But always to default location. No compatibility mode. No issues. 

I do heavy duty video and audio editing as well as fsx on W10 with older software without issue. W10 just isn't a scary place. But you have to use it on it's terms(not that difficult). It's not W7 by a long shot. Sure, it looks different. Things are named differently, and moved around. So? Learning new things is good for the brain, especially as we get older. Besides, right click functions are still the same (since W95, at least). 

I think most people just want to turn on their computers and do minor things. But simmers have always had to tinker. I've learned a lot about computers through the years just trying to get FS to work. 

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

On 6/24/2019 at 9:18 AM, Steve Crain said:

Windows 10 will not install my FSX Gold software.  Im a pilot, not a software engineer, and after reading a lot of the discussion concerning Windows 10, I'm concerned that I may not have sufficient life in front of me to experience a successful resolution.  I want to fly......not tweak software.  So, I ask for informed opinion.  Do I bloody myself with Windows 10, install Windows 7 on new equipment (the computer is dedicated to simulation and I have all the 3rd party software I'll ever need) or should I look at the other two platforms.  Your thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks.

if you're interested in saving time and not tweaking i'd suggest just getting the steam version of fsx and not messing around with trying to install the old version. it is significantly more stable and bug-free and will also most likely install seamlessly on a win10 machine without any fuss.

i'd also advise to stick with win10. a lot of newer hardware will require it to take full advantage. and win7 support is gone for good in 6 months or so, so you'll have to look at upgrading anyway if you want to keep your machine secure

good luck!

cheers,-andy crosby

Dear Lord, why are people still messing around with obsolete oldware like Windows 7? Windows 7 is deader than an Egyptian Pharaoh.

As Spesimen said, buy the FSX-Steam addition, which, because of the ongoing Steam Summer sale, is probably on sale for a buck fifty, and be done with it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I just got FSX installed on Windows 10Pro, from the disks. The 3 biggest issues I ran into was that my modern Blu-Ray drive had trouble reading the disks. What I finally did was insert disk 1, right click on the dvd drive icon in File Explorer (I DIDN'T try to open the file tree because I previously found doing that caused the drive heads to seek like crazy and clatter). When you right click on the icon, you get one option to install FSX. From then on, just follow the prompts. The second issue was that the install seemed to hang on a part of installation that was performing an "application removal". What that entailed, I don't know, but it finally completed after a little bit of patience. The only other issue I ran into was that even though I was able to validate FSX, I got an error because Acceleration failed to validate. After a quick search here and a tiny regedit workaround, I got it fixed. After all that, I'm now inclined to purchase the Steam Edition just to avoid the hassle of modern DVD drives not being able to read older CD's and DVD's. Like rhumbaflappy indicated above, the Steam option looks a lot more convenient.

I am sorry I missed your post.

There are some things that need to be done to Windows 10.    I am assuming you have version 1903 because you posted in June 2019.  Please watch the following video:    [EDIT:  This will do much more than speed up Windows 10.]

Edited by Dan8