Sign in to follow this  
Kermit_70

is P3D simpler than FSX?

Here we go again...

I have FSX with tons of add-ons (A2A, ORBX, Aerosoft, REX, UT2, etc) and Saitek hardware. I like my super-realistic GA aircrafts, my live weather and traffic. I don't do airliners. I am looking to use PilotEdge or Vatsim, but have not done it yet.

It's all good, but I feel I am spending too much time tweaking and making sure all is up-to-date and still working... Since I only flight short, very realistic GA flights, I usually don't have OOM problems. I am still stuck in DX9, so no shadows, etc. And of course it is 32bits.

Question: should I switch to P3D v4? Is it worth it?
a) can I transfer most of my add-ons to P3D without purchasing them again?
b) is P3D simpler to customise and use (for example, do I still need all the FSUIPC / SPAD mambo-jambo to fine tune Saitek hardware?)

Cheers

1.  With the exception of scenery (e.g. ORBX and some REX products), all your add-ons will have to be repurchased.  Your Saitek hardware will work just fine

2.  P3D IS FSX, at least from a software management perspective; based on your question, there is no difference 

Recommendation:  Hold off until MS releases more information about it's next simulator; the road map is due by August.  It really doesn't make much sense to expend the resources to upgrade now; MSFS '2020' looks like a game changer....I'd wait 

• Like 1

Matt King

17 hours ago, Kermit_70 said:

Here we go again...

I have FSX with tons of add-ons (A2A, ORBX, Aerosoft, REX, UT2, etc) and Saitek hardware. I like my super-realistic GA aircrafts, my live weather and traffic. I don't do airliners. I am looking to use PilotEdge or Vatsim, but have not done it yet.

It's all good, but I feel I am spending too much time tweaking and making sure all is up-to-date and still working... Since I only flight short, very realistic GA flights, I usually don't have OOM problems. I am still stuck in DX9, so no shadows, etc. And of course it is 32bits.

Question: should I switch to P3D v4? Is it worth it?
a) can I transfer most of my add-ons to P3D without purchasing them again?
b) is P3D simpler to customise and use (for example, do I still need all the FSUIPC / SPAD mambo-jambo to fine tune Saitek hardware?)

Cheers

LM gives buyers one month to try and return/get a refund if you  are not satisfied.  You may try without any risk.

I switched to P3D with version 2.3. years ago from a DX10 enhanced FSX. There is no turning back. Much better. I am more or less the same kind of flyer you are. 

The UI is now different atfer all these years but not as much as to disorientate a FSX user.  Tweaking is less needed but your mileage may vary depending on your hardware. You can still use FSUIPC (I don't). SPAD I do not know.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 6/24/2019 at 2:00 PM, Kermit_70 said:

It's all good, but I feel I am spending too much time tweaking and making sure all is up-to-date and still working.

Perhaps you're over tweaking.  FSX is FSX.  It hasn't changed since 2006, but hardware has.  A lot of the tweaks that were recommended just aren't necessary anymore.

My suggestion is take a read of the AVSIM FSX Config Guide listed in the right menu.  Very little is needed, especially if you are only interested in GA.

I doubt that I have three tweaks including the HighMem fix and WideApsectView.

Edited by airernie

Ernest Pergrem