Sign in to follow this  
jbinner

HOW? Weren't licenses sold with FSX to other parties?

Am I the only one thinking the following: HOW is M$ bringing this back around again, as an updated version, when they sold off the rights? (or so I thought based on info I am not sure I can talk about yet)??? Didn't the education / business licenses get sold to Lockheed and the entertainment license to Dovetail? Or have I been under a rock since I left AVSIM?

I AM NOT trolling, just curious...as I have not seen it mentioned anywhere....or did M$ pull their magic hidden text again in those contracts?

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

6 minutes ago, jbinner said:

Am I the only one thinking the following: HOW is M$ bringing this back around again, as an updated version, when they sold off the rights? (or so I thought based on info I am not sure I can talk about yet)??? Didn't the education / business licenses get sold to Lockheed and the entertainment license to Dovetail? Or have I been under a rock since I left AVSIM?

I AM NOT trolling, just curious...as I have not seen it mentioned anywhere....or did M$ pull their magic hidden text again in those contracts?

Read the statement from PMDG, MS had a clause saying they could come back to the market at any time and claim back any changes to the source code made.

S.

Microsoft entered into a licensing arrangement with Lockheed Martin for ms esp, they didn’t “sell off the rights”. No idea what the deal with dovetail games was, but presuming something similar. Companies very rarely actually sell intellectual property, unless that’s their whole reason for existing. 

• Like 1

What I figured. M$ played games with the community and we will all eat it up. Xplane here I come.

• Like 1

John Binner, MCDST

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

As Robert Randazzo of PMDG tells it, when they were considering partnering with other add-on devs to keep MSFS alive back when ACES folded, one of the provisions in Microsoft's proposed contract was that they (M$) would have the right not only to come back into the market, but to incorporate any changes made by the licensee to the core simulation if they did...and naturally, that was unacceptable to PMDG and the others.

It all depends on what was in the contract with DT, and I'd bet good money that M$ wouldn't be going down this path if their legal team hadn't already paved the way

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Just now, w6kd said:

As Robert Randazzo of PMDG tells it, when they were considering partnering with other add-on devs to keep MSFS alive back when ACES folded, one of the provisions in Microsoft's proposed contract was that they (M$) would have the right not only to come back into the market, but to incorporate any changes made by the licensee to the core simulation if they did...and naturally, that was unacceptable to PMDG and the others.

It all depends on what was in the contract with DT, and I'd bet good money that M$ wouldn't be going down this path if their legal team hadn't already paved the way

Rob's word is gospel in my eyes. People that know me (of me? LOL) know that. There was a little meeting in Canada with the then AVSIM BoD, and others on the phone, when the "sale" of whatever rights was going on.  If Rob is talking about it, then my NDA doesn't apply anymore either. 🙂

BUT, as I said, all this will do is drive me to XPlane; or out of simming (again) altogether. It may be business as usual but it's not how I do business. I don't forget and I don't forget how the community was treated, what we were promised, and what never happened. And the cycle is coming around again full circle.

My questions are answered for now. Thanks for the quick replies.

John Binner, MCDST

11 minutes ago, jbinner said:

Similarly, it seems LM franchised the rights to develop ESP for commercial purposes.
Microsoft are returning in the consumer entertainment segment, so no overlap there.

Given you previous comment on here:

and now:

4 minutes ago, jbinner said:

What I figured. M$ played games with the community and we will all eat it up. Xplane here I come.

Just because you say you aren't trolling, doesn't automatically make it so.

I don't see the point of this thread.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 minute ago, F737NG said:

Similarly, it seems LM franchised the rights to develop ESP for commercial purposes.
Microsoft are returning in the consumer entertainment segment, so no overlap there.

and now:

the point was to ask a question and it was answered before your reply. But thanks.

(nice to see nothing has changed here.)

John Binner, MCDST

Again, there is nothing particularly strange in that, per se. You are licensing something that you own, if someone makes improvements to it you want an option to be able to keep those changes. I can see why companies wouldn’t be particularly pleased that this is the case, but it’s not unusual. 

However, I have no idea on which terms pmdg thought they were negotiating or exactly what they thought they were getting. 

3 minutes ago, F737NG said:

and now:

I’m minded to agree - ignoring any replies that don’t line up with the original contention is usually a sure sign. 

Some people seriously over think things.

David Porrett

Question asked, Question answered.

This one's done before it sinks any further.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals