Sign in to follow this  
kand

My one plea to Microsoft - Airports

Many requests have been made to Microsoft about FSX. I have only one request, and that is for Microsoft to study the airports that have been designed by the developer "Flight Scenery". Their airports look incredible and incorporate the "feel" of an approach and landing that is missing in FS9. They are also able to add their special touch without hurting frame rates. So please Microsoft, if you haven't done so already, get this part of FSX right. The approach and landing will always be one of the best parts of simming.Curt

Just hire the guy lol ;-)But indeed the best stuff out there it's all about that special feeling of being there ;-)Andr

André

Guest GabrielR

lets leave that to 3rd party devs.

Guest tdragger

3rd parties will always be able to create content that's more detailed than what we ship and we like it that way. ;)

You could do with less but creating that special feeling and realistic appearance in texture stuff ;-)In FS9 the Autogen textures are still unrealistic...Also the default airport textures don't look realistic...I guess the textures will be used at more then one airfield or building lol ;-)Curious how the default will look in FSXCould we have a better blending in with the ground textures (not the effect of dropping some buildings on top of a texture)?Andr

André

3rd party developers are fine if you're looking for an exact replica of a particular airport. I'm just talking about placing certain textures, flags or whatever they do to convey the feel of speed on final approach. It would not be difficult to utilize their expertise for the larger airports in FSX. The only downside is the untreated airports would pale in comparison. Thanks for listening.Curt

And those features are there in the real world on every airport and runway in a way that can be easily scripted into the scenery generator?Methinks not... You're supposed to look ahead at the runway during final approach, not out the side window where such effects would be most relevant anyway.

Guest tdragger

You bring up a good point that I don't know is appreciated. The feeling of speed comes from your peripheral vision and that's really hard to replicate using a limited field of view. I'm flown in full motion sims and the effect is there because you can see about 190 degrees side-to-side.The good news is that FS will support whatever aspect ration the video card can handle, so if someone creates a wrap-around display with a narrow aspect ratio you'll get what you want.

I may be a rare bird in the simming world, but I take the Active Camera program and lock in preset views in the virtual cockpit. One would be a straight ahead view, then an offset view to my left that gives a peripheral vision effect, plus an assortment of others. So I do my best to create peripheral vision, limited as it is. Anyhow, I'm hooked on this hobby so I'll buy FSX the day it comes out.Curt

fantastic,so my widescreen projector will show the forward view in 16: 9 ?cheers keith

I think what he wants is to have a 3 monitor setup and in the virtual cockpit see the front panel in the center screen and out the side windows in the screens left and right.From my small experiments on my 2 screen system (2560x1024) that's not what happens, as the regular display size gets stretched to the sides yielding an extremely wide front panel.It looks nice but I didn't like the way the view is cut in 2 by the physical screen borders (nothing you can do anything about, that's the penalty of 2 pieces of hardware) so I reverted to using one screen for FS and the other for other applications (and popup panel windows).

HiI am currently building a "building" to house a 777 home cockpit,what i thought was meant that FsX will give you a wider view out the front window so the possibilty of having a slight curved screen from one projector would yield a wider field of view? just as a film shown in widescreen on DVD reveals all of the picture whereas if its pan and scan 4:3 the sides get cropped. Catch my drift!!!If this is currently possible then i stand corrected but I dont really know because i have yet to experiment with my projectorcheers keith

> I am currently building a "building" to house a 777 home cockpit...Thats taking flight sim to the max :-eek