Sign in to follow this  
drpernar

Multiple MCP combo panels in parallel within Linda

Hey guys!

My question: would it be possible to connect more than one MCP combo panel, e.g. one MCP combo 1 panel and another MCP 2 combo panel Boeing style (both from VRinsight), simultaneously with Linda and assign each different combo panel different button/knob functions for Prepar3D?

Until now I can only choose in the setup for one MCP combo panel, either version 1 or 2 (Boeing or Airbus style), so it is only one panel possible to configure. 

Especially for simmers who buy (upgrade to) another MCP combo panel (e.g. Boeing style) with a still working MCP combo 1 panel this would be excellent, as it doubles the amount of buttons, displays and knobs.

I mean, if it possible to connect several HID/joystick devices with Linda, why shall it not also be possible for MCP panels (no matter if there is only one panel in the airplane)? Better than to throw away a still good working old panel. I think this extension would be a worth look for the next Linda update ;-).

And another question: is there a possibility to configure the display output on the MCP combo panel?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Greetings from

Robert!

Hello,

I really can't say and I do not know if it has been ever tested by anyone.

Regarding the LINDA modules: I use a MCP Combo II Boeing style and therefore the modules are created especially for that device as I'm unable to test it for the others.

This means especially the display functions and probably default assignments.

But I have no idea if both together work. Technically I would think yes, but can't say what happens with the displays. But no guaranty

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LINDA can only connect to one VRInsight MCP panel at a time. However, the setups for all 3 variants of the MCP are stored in separate configuration files and are loaded depending on the connected panel. For testing purposes I regularly swap between the Boeing and Airbus panels. All I have to do is change the MCP type and Com Port No each time.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Thank you very much for your replies!!

Would it be possible to connect another PC/Laptop via WideFS in the home network and then to connect one MCP combo panel to PC No.1 (e.g. with Prepar3D installation, FSUIPC, Linda + WideFS server) and the other MCP combo panel to PC No.2 (e.g. no Prepar3D installation, just WideFS client + Linda), so that both MCP panels with totally different configuration of buttons and knobs on either PC can act simultaneously on Prepar3D installed only on PC No.1?

Or does Linda need an installation of Prepar3D on either PC? Or is Linda not network-compatible?

I think this is an interesting constellation when building greater home cockpits with a lot of hardware controllers which are not installed only on one PC with Prepar3D but spread out over several PCs in the LAN, if this is possible at all?

If this would be possible, on which PC should be installed what software and how would be the configuration within Linda?

Is it possible to spread cockpit modules from an airplane running on Prepar3D installed on PC No. 1 via LAN to another PC, where this module can be visible on another monitor? There is no need for an outer cockpit view on PC No. 2, just the module, let's say one GPS device or a Reality XP GNS 430 V2 device which is controlled via Linda and the second MCP combo panel?

Only to clarify it: the goal is not to use more monitors within the LAN for another perspective view within Prepar3D (e.g. with WideView tools), but only to connect more harware controllers over several PCs configured with Linda installed and several instances of Linda running on each PC in parallel, of course with no performance disadvantages on the Prepar3D installation on PC No.1.

Many sunny greetings

Robert!

I have no experience of WideFS and can offer no answers to your questions. LINDA requires a registered version of FSUIPC to work for it to read and write data to FSX or P3D. I see no point in trying to use 2 MCP panels at the same time. I just swap my panels over when I wish to fly Boeing (rarely) or Airbus. It is easy if you remember to change to the Comport and MCP type in LINDA settings. I will not speculate on what would be nice to have.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

And another question: is there a possibility to configure the display output on the MCP combo panel?

I dont have real experience with this as i dont use it, but maybe if you play with ''DspShow'' part , or the ''Dsp'' part, you could put what you want. I dont have an MCP so i cant see how it functions, or even if that bit of the code is for the MCP display.

Example:

function NGX_AP_VNAV ()

for sa = 1, 100, 25 do
    ipc.writeLvar("ngx_switch_386_a", sa)
    end
    for sa = 100, 0, -25 do
    ipc.writeLvar("ngx_switch_386_a", sa)
    end

ipc.control(70018, 536870912)
    ipc.control(70018, 131072)
    ipc.sleep(50)

if _MCP1 () then

DspShow (" AP ", "VNAV")

else

if ipc.readLvar("L:ngx_MCP_VNav") == 1 then

DspVNAV_on ()

else

DspVNAV_off ()

end

Luke Pype

Hi guys,

I have finally switched to the MPC II Combo Panel (Boeing). It is indeed much better than the old MCP I panel, particularly the rotary knobs are reliable (better potentiometers used), the button label can be easily changed (individual label between button pin + cover can be placed, no sticking any more labels), the background lighting and display is cool. 

Indeed, there is no need for a parallel use of 2 MCP panels as one is totally enough. Although this Boeing panel was first designed in 2012 I can recommend it to anyone. There is no other MCP where you can gat so much versatility and flexibility together with a fair price than MCP Combo Panels from VRinsight.

Thank you guys and greetings from

Robert!