Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Developers Hall of Fame ? a follow-up

Possible inductees in a Developers Hall of Fame  

12 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Do you agree that these developers deserve recognition from the community ?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/14/2019 at 10:00 AM

I started the first thread because I didn't make sense of many derogatory comments about dev, seen in recent weeks. Your answers were great, so many names brought up that deserve recognition and some good recommendations to go further. Even a poll 😏. So let's try that.

If the idea is to set up a Developers Hall of Fame, we need a selected introductory batch of inductees and then add names every so often (every year in June ?). 

Set up a poll in various categories is impossible to manage so I selected about 20 names with a maximum of three in each category. I didn't separate payware and freeware. This is not the issue. Value added, innovation are the issues.

The question is blunt. Do you agree to induct them, Yes or No ? No buts, no ifs. You may not agree on every name. You may be surprised but I don't.  I tried to reflect what the communty thinks. Bottom line, what is your gut feeling on the list I drafted ?

BTW, does Avsim accept to have Tom Allensworth as a honorary patron  ?

Honorary Patronage : the late Tom Allensworth (provided that Avsim agrees)

Founding father : Bruce Artwick 

For advancing aircraft global design to new levels of perfection Scott Gentile (A2A), Tony Randazzo (PMDG), Milton Shupe

For advancing the aircraft FDE design to new levels of realism : Alexander Metzger, Bernt  StolleRob Young 

For bringins us scenery design tools without which there wouldn't be any 3rd party sceneries : Arno Gerretsen, Jon Masterson, Luis Sa 

For introducing the integration of GIS data into large regional scenery design : Allen Kriesman, Holger Sandmann, Justin Tyme

For designing airports with a soul Richard Goldstein, Bill Womack

For bringing a new dimension of realism to ATC : Doug Thomson and John Dekker  

For bringing utilities that make our life easier : Pete Dowson

For bettering the integration of real weather   Damian Clark (Active Sky)

PS I've  never set up a poll before, Hope everything works !

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I think your effort is admirable in its ideology but I have concerns that you are opening Pandoras box. I truly hope I'm wrong, 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Just now, 188AHC said:

I think your effort is admirable in its ideology but I have concerns that you are opening Pandoras box. I truly hope I'm wrong, 

Feel free to close it if goes south 😉 ! But I'd say we need some good vibes right now (excuse the vocabulary, I was a teen in the sixties)

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

There are just way too many names/categories missing. For example, Mr. Stuart Moment, the other "founding father" (co-founder of SubLogic) comes to mind. Also, I see nothing about VATSIM/online or VA's. How about freeware developers, and scores of others who deserve "hall of fame" recognition spanning almost 40 years. To not mention Flight Sim Labs (A320), is one of them errors that cannot be overlooked. 

There is simply no way to properly bottle up a "FS hall of fame" in a simple poll - there needs to be a multi-volume, and never ending encyclopedia produced, to give proper honor. 🙂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pracines said:

There are just way too many names/categories missing. 

🙂

Thank you  for the constructive feedback, really appreciated.

One has to start somewhere. Choices, choices , choices. Everybody hates choices😏.  I know. Me too.

What I propose is to start with a first batch and then add names later. What I tried to do was to select innovators, people who blazed new trails.

FSlabs is a good example. Why didn’t I include them ? They make splendid aircraft but they follow the trail that Randazzo opened. They are Randazzo old hands if I remember well. Maybe in another batch.

You are very right regarding Vatsim. I am not familiar with the outfit and nobody thought of them in the first thread (or I missed).  They deserve to be here. 

Also keep in mind that if you select too many people, it might become more a phone directory than a Hall of Fame. Value is in scarcity somewhat.

Edited by domkle

Dominique

1 hour ago, pracines said:

There are just way too many names/categories missing.

I disagree. Each year, the number of eligible people should be limited to about what the original poster has chosen. Not everyone has to be inducted in one year. 

8 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I disagree. Each year, the number of eligible people should be limited to about what the original poster has chosen. Not everyone has to be inducted in one year. 

Of course this is debatable, because eligibility is debatable, because knowledge is questionable... i.e. Mr. Ernst (767), and the already mentioned Stu Moment. If one name per category was listed maybe this could make me understand the limitations. But to have several names in one category and one name in other categories, communicates a lack of acknowledgment/recognition/knowledge. 

Will Navigraph, Aerowinx, or Looking Glass ever be a part of this poll? If someone like me (or anybody) does not say something then who knows?   

It could take a century of polls (this size) to get to everyone - making an encyclopedia much more practical. 

4 hours ago, domkle said:

The question is blunt. Do you agree to induct them, Yes or No ? No buts, no ifs. You may not agree on every name. You may be surprised but I don't.  I tried to reflect what the communty thinks. Bottom line, what is your gut feeling on the list I drafted ?

My gut feeling:

I'm just saying, I like the idea, but so far in the category department, there is a lot lacking, noted by the underlined portion of what I replied to Jay. I will say it again:

If one name per category was listed maybe this could make me understand the limitations. But to have several names in one category and one name in other categories, communicates a lack of acknowledgment/recognition/knowledge. 

14 minutes ago, pracines said:

It could take a century of polls (this size) to get to everyone

Then it would a Hall of the Very Good.

16 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Then it would a Hall of the Very Good.

A hall of the very good would be better than an opinion with very limited knowledge...true hall of famers get totally left out. 

Lol, this sounds like a moderators nightmare, but hopefully will remain civil! having said that, it is a nice gesture for those on the list!

1 hour ago, pracines said:

A hall of the very good would be better than an opinion with very limited knowledge...true hall of famers get totally left out. 

Hope none were using PEDs at the time of their developing. They would have to be banned from the hall of fame!:blink:

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

18 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Hope none were using PEDs at the time of their developing. They would have to be banned from the hall of fame!:blink:

😂