Excellent Analysis of trailer by former ACES member

By Kevin Miller, former ACES member/FSX dev

Edited by cmpbellsjc
Embedded video
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Quick summary?

No "former team - we got fired" bitterness I hope, yeah?

I can't watch until later - so curious

Edited by irrics

On 6/25/2019 at 7:46 PM, ryanbatcund said:

By Kevin Miller, former ACES member/FSX dev

Ryan,

He’s a member at Avsim and posts under the same username (Gibbage) as his YouTube channel. Going to watch now.

BTW, I edited your post to embed the video.

Edited by Jim Young
  • Like 2

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Have watched and he's picked out some more technical aspects I haven't seen observed previously. A highlight for me was procedural based/tiled texturing on the interiors instead of flat texture sheets, ostensibly to reduce memory requirements for console porting. Everybody seemed worried about what console compatibility might mean, but the first thing I've seen that could be related to it is a positive!

Edited by ckyliu
  • Upvote 2

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I watched the first few minutes but I'm not sure I want to watch 51 minutes of someone else's opinions. It would be nice if he had a Nick's Notes version. 

• Upvote 3

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I flicked through it in half an hour but didn't make notes, sorry. A fair amount was touched on previously by others but there was some fresh stuff I'd not heard before, and he also did some nice technical demonstrations of reflections and animations.

He spoke of ray tracing (and performance issues it could bring) and soft body animations being included. Procedural texturing I already touched on.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Ugh, 50 minutes. You can tell he's an older guy who worked on all those sims and may not be au fait with current YouTube norms. But you need to respect my time too. I'm not going to watch a 50 minute video to get someone's opinion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I watched the whole thing.  Incredible video.  Lots of information from someone who is knowledgeable.  I'm really glad to get his insights.

His comments would indicate that he made the video the first time he watched the trailer.  Or maybe the second time with a quick look the first time through.

Lots of things I had speculated about were confirmed and a lot of new information.  The only thing I was wrong about was that Icon A5 isn't the same model used in Flight (he should know, he made the original) but he thought the Super Cub was the same one that was in flight.

There was more information in the earlier frame by frame analysis and I believe the two videos complement each other nicely.

Hook

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

3 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Lots of things I had speculated about were confirmed and a lot of new information.  The only thing I was wrong about was that Icon A5 isn't the same model used in Flight (he should know, he made the original) but he thought the Super Cub was the same one that was in flight.

Thanks for the info.

No reason they couldn't use the same 3D model for the Super Cub if it's still in good shape with textures for 4k/8k. The meat and bones will matter though. It will be fascinating to see if MS actually wrote a new flight model from scratch, ground up, or they're using an "evolved" version of the code used in MS Flight.

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I'm not sure why they wouldn't use Flight's Icon as it was quite good.  He was intimately familiar with the one from Flight and said the new one was different.  He probably wasn't as familiar with the Cub so that might be a different model as well.

Hook

Larry Hookins

The Vibes in Flight wasn't a Super Cub. Actually it wasn't even a Piper. 

It was a Carbon Cub. Very nice but very expensive composite copy. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

8 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

The Vibes in Flight wasn't a Super Cub. Actual it wasn't even a Piper. 

It was a Carbon Cub. Very nice but very expensive composite copy. 

Ah, thanks for that.

So it was a... carbon copy? 😄 😄

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

1 hour ago, 188AHC said:

I watched the first few minutes but I'm not sure I want to watch 51 minutes of someone else's opinions. It would be nice if he had a Nick's Notes version. 

If I wanted to watch a video of aviation emergencies I'd likely listen to someone with experience...maybe Sully.  Likewise with this subject I wouldn't mind spending a little time watching a video from a former developer (of a series we've been using for 20+ years).

• Like 11
  • Upvote 4

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

50 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

If I wanted to watch a video of aviation emergencies I'd likely listen to someone with experience...maybe Sully.  Likewise with this subject I wouldn't mind spending a little time watching a video from a former developer (of a series we've been using for 20+ years).

That was precisely the reason I spent the 50 minutes watching as well. Who better to give and honest and technological explanation as to how, why and what we might be getting in the next sim coming from someone who’s worked on 8 different sims.

• Like 5

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Great link Ryan!

Kevin Miller's video is superb! Finally some educated guessing.

• Like 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!