Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Excellent Analysis of trailer by former ACES member

34 minutes ago, bonchie said:

I agree in general. It's not going to actually be 2PB.

But you can't just compress orthos of the magnitude and resolution they are shown using in the trailer down to 20GB. 

They've got something up their sleeve, whether it's streaming, being able to download specific areas for off-line play, etc. 

Google Earth is about 20 Petas, one order of magnitude larger. What counts is the way it comes to you more than how big it is. Now I would lie if I said I am not a little worried, having a slow and unreliable ADSL 2 connection !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

55 minutes ago, domkle said:

Google Earth is about 20 Petas, one order of magnitude larger. What counts is the way it comes to you more than how big it is. Now I would lie if I said I am not a little worried, having a slow and unreliable ADSL 2 connection !

Yep I am thinking this is going to be a bit of a stumbling block for many. I think this guy did a pretty good job point out the good the bad and even a bit of the ugly. At this point I am kind of thinking that like all of the MS projects, this will move things forward for sure but it is going to be a 3 to 5 year curve for most depending on equipment and internet download speeds. If you are all excited about how cheap Sims are going to be then check with your provider and see what you need to have 4K/8K piped into your bed room and make that flight from JFK to the other side of the world and sleep while that new $5000.00 rig is eating Data. LOL!

• Like 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

12 hours ago, simmerhead said:

I think he was off on that. It isn't a Super Cub, It's a brand new (revealed for the first time in 2016)  CubCrafters CC19-180 XCub, and since they probably use procedural modelling, I'm guessing they use a completely new model built from scratch. 

I thought I called it out as a Carbon Cub in the video?  Its a local company here in the PNW and the Flight team had some great access to it for reference.  That model was made after I was no longer part of the Flight team.  

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

5 hours ago, ckyliu said:

I would expect conventional texturing to be supported, there are still places it will be useful (like most of the exterior because of liveries). But there will be a performance penalty using a high resolution flat texture versus a procedural texture.

I spent 2 years doing work for Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 4.  Doing procedural materials helps out the production pipeline, the pixel density, and the texture space.  The think it wont do is weathering well.  If you have an old warbird, its going to be factory fresh.  But at least the leather seats will look like leather without having it occupy a 4K texture sheet just for a single seat.  

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

19 hours ago, irrics said:

Quick summary?

No "former team - we got fired" bitterness I hope, yeah?

I can't watch until later - so curious

Its been like 10 years ago.  Not bitter.  I still have a LOT of old ACES members that I talk with alot.  The sim community is very tight nit, so the fact that this surprised all the ACES members (but a few) is telling in its own way.  I hope I didnt come off as bitter.  Im truly excited about it, and if they support 3rd party's(they said they would), I would love to build aircraft for it.  

Kevin

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

2 minutes ago, Gibbage said:

I spent 2 years doing work for Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 4.  Doing procedural materials helps out the production pipeline, the pixel density, and the texture space.  The think it wont do is weathering well.  If you have an old warbird, its going to be factory fresh.  But at least the leather seats will look like leather without having it occupy a 4K texture sheet just for a single seat.  

Hey kevin, do you know if the photogrammetry coverage Microsoft has access is limited to what we see on the Bings Maps? Or do they have more data they don't made public on the free version of the app?

Just now, ca_metal said:

Hey kevin, do you know if the photogrammetry coverage Microsoft has access is limited to what we see on the Bings Maps? Or do they have more data they don't made public on the free version of the app?

Its a good question.  Back in the "old" days with Balmer in charge of Microsoft, Bing would never let Flight Sim have maps.  Microsoft was rampant with internal struggles!  Case in point, the Windows Phone team would not let the Windows Surface team have access to the apps even though they were compatible with both devices.  The internal fighting between departments was cultural since each team would fight over a shared pool of money.  Flight did NOT use Bing Maps.

Satya Nadella has been working hard to remove that culture.  I have seen it first hand in that they want departments to cooperate.  The simple fact that the opening credits even mention "Azure" is mind blowing considering what I said above.  I said in another thread that I doubt it would be Bing, but after looking back at the change of leadership and culture, and that Azure is involved, it may be a shared resource with Bing maps!  I will take a look and see if it is.  

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

17 minutes ago, Gibbage said:

I thought I called it out as a Carbon Cub in the video?  Its a local company here in the PNW and the Flight team had some great access to it for reference.  That model was made after I was no longer part of the Flight team.  

I think you said something about it being the same model that was used in Flight, but the XCub wasn't around when Flight was made - only older versions of the Carbon Cub. The XCub isn't even marketed as a Carbon Cub, but is made by the same company, CubCrafters. :)

The XCub clarification was meant as a reply to another poster, not you :) 

Edited by simmerhead

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

14 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

This is interesting!  3D Bing maps no longer EXIST.  I cant find a portal to it, and any software or plugin's that would use it no longer works.  This could be a sign of cooperation in that Bing will release the "new" 3D maps with MSFS.  This is pure speculation mind you.

• Like 1

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

6 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

I think you said something about it being the same model that was used in Flight, but the XCub wasn't around when Flight was made - only older versions of the Carbon Cub. The XCub isn't even marketed as a Carbon Cub, but is made by the same company, CubCrafters. 🙂

The XCub clarification was meant as a reply to another poster, not you 🙂

Thank you for the clarification.  

• Like 1

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Kevin I've always wondered about the number of draw calls on fsx, I am suspicious that you haven't optimized at all and you have one draw call per autogen, per cloud etc.. and you haven't batched anything at all. Is it true ?

Just now, cepact said:

Kevin I've always wondered about the number of draw calls on fsx, I am suspicious that you haven't optimized at all and you have one draw call per autogen, per cloud etc.. and you haven't batched anything at all. Is it true ?

3rd party's hardly worry about something like draw calls.  As I said in the video, its not a problem until you get multiple aircraft at an airport.  It will be an issue on a console though, so its something us 3rd party dev's need to look at in the future if we want to support the next Flight Sim.  

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

7 minutes ago, Gibbage said:

Satya Nadella has been working hard to remove that culture.  I have seen it first hand in that they want departments to cooperate.  The simple fact that the opening credits even mention "Azure" is mind blowing considering what I said above.

Well I t6hink there is only a thing that you can only enforce so much. Internal they compete with each other but they are forced to cooperate to a point., It is simpy a feature of every big company. Sony, Pioneer IBM you always have to point that there is a cut throat competition. You can only limit the amount of cut throat. In the end someone always thinks that he was fooled and reacts to it. You simply can*t prevent this problem.

6 minutes ago, Gibbage said:

This is interesting!  3D Bing maps no longer EXIST.  I cant find a portal to it, and any software or plugin's that would use it no longer works.  This could be a sign of cooperation in that Bing will release the "new" 3D maps with MSFS.  This is pure speculation mind you.

Yes it does, if you are using windows 10, just search for maps.

qXDhAEV.png

But as I said before, it's really limited in the 3D coverage, Google Earth for example covers maybe 5x more than Bing. So would like to know if Microsoft has more data than what they made public on the app.

Edited by ca_metal