Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Excellent Analysis of trailer by former ACES member

5 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

Yes it does, if you are using windows 10, just search for maps.

Thanks!  I loaded it up into Windows 10 and I can confirm that the maps are a match.  They did do some cleaning up around the water, but the base maps ARE from Bing.

• Like 2

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

3 minutes ago, Gibbage said:

Thanks!  I loaded it up into Windows 10 and I can confirm that the maps are a match.  They did do some cleaning up around the water, but the base maps ARE from Bing.

But do you have any idea if they have a larger coverage accessible internaly? Any chance they would use google data where bing doesn't have the photogrammery? 

I know you are not there anymore, but I would like to know if you know how the access to this tech works. The data on google earth was exclusively made for Google or other companies can have it and use it?

Kevin, welcome back, I appreciate you responding to our members. Hopefully this will quell rumors and we can get the real info. 

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Just now, ca_metal said:

But do you have any idea if they have a larger coverage accessible internaly? Any chance they would use google data where bing doesn't have the photogrammery? 

I know you are not there anymore, but I would like to know if you know how the access to this tech works. The data on google earth was exclusively made for Google or other companies can have it and use it?

Everything is for sale.  It all depends on how much.  Bing didnt develop the 3D maps.  They purchased it from someone for MS use.  I forgot the name of the company that did it for Bing, but they could of used Azure to process all the Photogrametery.  I may do another video comparing the Bing maps to whats in the video, but its a 90% match so far.  

• Like 1

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

7 minutes ago, Gibbage said:

Everything is for sale.  It all depends on how much.  Bing didnt develop the 3D maps.  They purchased it from someone for MS use.  I forgot the name of the company that did it for Bing, but they could of used Azure to process all the Photogrametery.  I may do another video comparing the Bing maps to whats in the video, but its a 90% match so far.  

The scenery is the feature I'm more keen to see they talking about, even more than the planes, weather and ATC (which are also features I'm also looking forward). The African savanna really got my attention, even more than those 3d cities. It looked really good. It made think if we will finally be able to explore the world with a minimmum level of scenery accuracy. Time will tell.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gibbage said:

Satya Nadella has been working hard to remove that culture.

Does that mean stack ranking is gone?  When I was researching it a couple of days ago some employees were reporting that while it is officially gone there are still some effects.

The cutthroat culture exists when management forces departments to compete.  If management encouraged cooperation, there will be a lot less of it.  What you want is a situation where if one department wins, everyone wins, so that everyone supports everyone else's efforts.  You want to eliminate zero sum games within the organization.  Stack ranking was exactly the opposite.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

40 minutes ago, LHookins said:

The cutthroat culture exists when management forces departments to compete.

Well that is always the problem. You always have limited resources and the controlling has to be pretty good due to the size of the company. But if you have a good controlling this alwys means that there is competition. You can hide it but behind the scenes there are always limited resources. so however you hide it the people know that they compete with each other and they try to find ways to get more resources. You just try to hide it better.

I watched the entire video. The 50 minutes just flew by!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

3 hours ago, Gibbage said:

I spent 2 years doing work for Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 4.  Doing procedural materials helps out the production pipeline, the pixel density, and the texture space.  The think it wont do is weathering well.  If you have an old warbird, its going to be factory fresh.  But at least the leather seats will look like leather without having it occupy a 4K texture sheet just for a single seat.  

Did you have anything to do with the magical auto-optimisation thing on those games? If so, bravo. 

11 minutes ago, Superdelphinus said:

Did you have anything to do with the magical auto-optimisation thing on those games? If so, bravo. 

My job was on the car art team making sure all the cars were accurate, and didnt tank performance.  Thats how I know the procedural texture pipeline and how to identify it.  My job was to find errors like that and fix it in Forza.  BTW, a few ACES members also work on the Forza team.  

Kevin

• Like 1

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

2 hours ago, Longranger said:

But if you have a good controlling this alwys means that there is competition.

There are people who believe this or you wouldn't see it in action. Some managers will believe that they can spur their people to greater productivity by making them compete against others within the company.

Stack ranking can be described as follows:  In order to get ahead, it is not enough that you succeed, it is also necessary that others fail.

Don't make your friends, others in the company, into your opponents.  Competing companies serve that purpose very well.  Support your friends, work to get ahead of your competitors.

The best advice I ever read was "Avoid any and all zero sum games."  If you're not familiar with the term, it means for someone to win, someone else has to lose.  I even applied this to business, both in real life and in something like FSEconomy.  You can find win-win situations if you look.

Obviously you don't apply this philosophy to a sports competition or in a war.  But in various forms of business, there are benefits to helping your "competitors" to be more successful.  The biggest benefit comes from helping others in your company.  You aren't competing with them, you're working toward a common goal.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

7 minutes ago, Gibbage said:

My job was on the car art team making sure all the cars were accurate, and didnt tank performance.  Thats how I know the procedural texture pipeline and how to identify it.  My job was to find errors like that and fix it in Forza.  BTW, a few ACES members also work on the Forza team.  

Kevin

Well the cars are beautiful too 🙂 

i especially like the Renault 5 turbo and the lovely old 911s. Porsches are always in car games (nowadays anyway) obviously, but I don’t remember seeing the Renault 5 in anything else. 

4 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

Well the cars are beautiful too 🙂 

i especially like the Renault 5 turbo and the lovely old 911s. Porsches are always in car games (nowadays anyway) obviously, but I don’t remember seeing the Renault 5 in anything else. 

Just like modeling aircraft, sometimes the biggest difficulty is finding a good reference.  For cars, we need to find one thats close to bone stock, and fly someone out for a photoshoot.  We have had to reject many cars simply because they had way too many modifications.  Something like the Renault 5 Turbo hardly ever stays stock for long.  Like trying to find a stock Jeep Wrangler.  Those things are no longer stock by the time they reach the owners driveway 😉  

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Kevin,

What are your thoughts on the street lights? Do you think they are similar to X-Plane where the lamps cast their light on surrounding objects and possibly use ray tracing?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Just now, MikeT707 said:

Kevin,

What are your thoughts on the street lights? Do you think they are similar to X-Plane where the lamps cast their light on surrounding objects and possibly use ray tracing?

I dont know.  I dont have much background in the lighting.  From what I saw, they are still very similar to FSX.  From what I have seen from XP those seem to be better.  But I have not actually flown XP11 yet.

• Like 1

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer