Sign in to follow this  
Guest EdrickV

Possibility to "really" select another rwy for landing

In FS 2004 ATC asks you if you would prefer another rwy for landing. When you then choose another rwy, you get this other rwy assigned but always with a "sidestep" or a "circle to land" to the originally assigned rwy. So actually you cannot choose another rwy for landing (at least I never could so far).It would be nice, if the possibility to really select another rwy for landing would be implemented in FSX.Wolfgang

Guest EdrickV

I just did an experiment about that in FS9. If you are VFR and select another active runway from an airport with parallel runways you can get clearance to land on that runway. Try it out at KSFO. I requested a landing, was assigned to 10L, and requested 10R. No sidestep, no circle to land. I do recall being able to select a different approach while IFR, but that wasn't the same thing as selecting a different runway for landing. Haven't tested this out under other circumstances, but I would assume you'd need to request an active runway for landing. (And in the above test 10R was the only listed option.)"Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there,When that happens and I want another runway, I cancel landing intentions, go into advanced in the weather options and change the wind round to come into the runway I want,then come back out and request full stop landing and usually it will give you the runway.When you think about it I don't imagine you would ever get a landing with the wind and you will always (?) get the runway that is heading furthest into the wind to land.Andy.

Guest GA Flyer

I know what your say Wolf. IFR and request a different rwy is ok but you also have to request a differnet approach. ExampleATC:Clr ILS 18LPilot:Request 18RATC: Clr 18R Continue ILS 18L and side step (or something like like)Pilot:Request 18R ILS approachATC: Clr 18R ILS make straight in approach (or something like that)Alot of radio work on Final that could be avoid if ATC would default the ILS to the newly request rwy.Is this what you were talking about Wolf?Jack

Guest EdrickV

From his description, I think he was talking about changing the approach without changing the runway. I've seen that before and at a single runway airport you can get a circle to land that way. Never gotten a sidestep myself. (Maybe the runway he wanted to change to wasn't the active runway or was closed for landing?) Incidently, it works with large airports that may have 4 active runways and seems to obey the AFCAD "closed for landing" option. Got redirected from either 3L or 3R to 4L at KDTW, which was the only available option. (The other two were closed for landing, and the 9/27 runways of course weren't active.)"Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."

Guest garwig2

>Alot of radio work on Final that could be avoid if ATC would>default the ILS to the newly request rwy.I agree, and the other way around would be nice too (by default change the rwy to the one that goes with the requested approach when you request a different approach). And while we're at it, I'd like to request a different runway for takeoff. In FS04 we have no options for takeoffs.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there,>>And while we're at it, I'd like to request a different runway for takeoff. In FS04 we have no options for takeoffs.<

Guest garwig2

>>>And while we're at it, I'd like to request a different>runway for takeoff. In FS04 we have no options for>takeoffs.<<>>Don't all the take-off and landing routines depend on the>prevailing wind direction and strength? Yes they do, but if you consider airports with parallel runways, If I'm assigned 18L and I really want 18R (in case I need more runway length, or for terrain clearance, etc.) I'd like to be able to request it. I understand that I can't request 36L/R, but 18R should be doable.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,>>>Yes they do, but if you consider airports with parallel runways, If I'm assigned 18L and I really want 18R (in case I need more runway length, or for terrain clearance, etc.) I'd like to be able to request it. I understand that I can't request 36L/R, but 18R should be doable<<

Guest EdrickV

Under VFR at least you can in FS9, assuming 18R isn't closed for takeoff. Haven't tested IFR because I usually fly VFR. You can also change runways between touch and gos."Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."