Sign in to follow this  
Thac

I really want VR support in MSFS2020. What about you?

Actually, if it don't support VR I will not use/buy it. I am sorry, but I can't go back to a flat 2D screen again. Once you go VR, it is impossible to go back.

I really, really hope MS will support VR with MSFS2020 - it is the most critical issue for me.

Microsoft said this - source: https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/

Accessibility is important to us. Whatever your abilities are, if you want to fly, we are going to do whatever we can to make that happen. Yoke and pedals, mouse and keyboard, controller, etc. No pilot should be left behind.

Microsoft, I am a VR user and I don't want to be left behind...

How about the rest of you?

Are VR users just a minority and smal fraction of the flight sim community today in 2019...and in 2020...and the next 10+ years?

My age: 50

My current (VR) hardware: I9-9900k, RTX-2080Ti, Pimax 5K+ (maybe HP Reverb or Valve Index soon), Thrustmaster HOTAS

Edited by Thac
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I'm not into VR at all. I prefer a big curved LCD/OLED-TV + TrackIR and real physical cockpit instruments and buttons to operate. 

While I like the 3D effect of VR, I find it impractical for flying more complex aircraft, and rather uncomfortable as well. 

Edited by simmerhead
  • Upvote 2

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

11 minutes ago, Thac said:

How about the rest of you? Are VR users just a minority and smal fraction of the flight sim community today in 2019...and in 2020?

According to the current usage data for X-Plane, about 2% fly in VR (i guess that means used VR at least once in 2019).

I'm not a fan of VR, but that might change when VR hardware and interfaces evolve.

Edited by Airboeing

Yes, we are a small fraction of an already small community, but a very vocal one. 🙂

While I am optimistic with all things MSFS, I still have my doubts if it will support VR initially. Yes, MS do have their WMR effort, but if they are planning to have a similar offering both for Xbox and PC, then there is a risk for us...

This does not mean that we won't have VR support offered by 3rd. parties like Flyinside, but native support would be much better imho. 

• Like 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

43 minutes ago, Airboeing said:

According to the current usage data for X-Plane, about 2% fly in VR (i guess that means used VR at least once in 2019).

I'm not a fan of VR, but that might change when VR hardware and interfaces evolve.

Well, the HP Reverb has some really good displays with very high resolution...and this is now in mid 2019. MSFS2020 will release in about a year - then VR hardware and PC GPU horsepower will be better...and better...and better. MSFS2020 will probably last for 10+ years into the future...with no VR support? 

A modern "state of the art" new Flight Simulator release (after 14 years) from Microsoft with no VR support? Really?

Edited by Thac
  • Upvote 1

I never said that I think that MSFSXX will release without VR support. On the contrary, I strongly believe that it will offer VR support out of the box. I just don't care about it (yet).

Edited by Airboeing

16 minutes ago, Airboeing said:

I never said that I think that MSFSXX will release without VR support. On the contrary, I strongly believe that it will offer VR support out of the box. I just don't care about it (yet).

Yes, but you said "..but that might change when VR hardware and interfaces evolve". I gave you a current example of very good VR hardware (HP Reverv) and that the (VR) hardware will be much much better the next 10+ years. VR support in MSFS2020 can not be a "after thought" - it must be implemented into the core game engine from the start to really work well, and to be supported properly into the future. 

Edited by Thac

It's not only a matter of resolution, but the whole package of goggles, controllers, sim integration etc. that keep me away from using VR at the moment.

But OTOH, I'm really not in a hurry and even if we have the "perfect" VR technology in a few years, I might still use traditional screens. I just don't need that "I'm IN the sim" feeling.

It’d be nice, but not a deal breaker for me. I have an oculus rift and I don’t think the quality is quite good enough yet for me to replace a 4K tv/ monitor. After I get over the initial wow factor, the crappy blurriness becomes a bit of a downer. 

Having said that, ragging a Porsche gt3 rs around the Nurburgring in pcars 2 in vr is probably right at the top of my all time gaming moments. 

I haven’t actually tried a flight sim in vr yet. 

Can you actually read all the info on a G1000 with todays VR hardware? 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

VR has been the wave of the future for what, 30 years?  The arguments against it today are the same ones we heard back then: framerates, resolution, etc.  It's getting better, though.

I fully understand why people who use VR couldn't go back.  I'm the same way with TrackIR.  If VR works for you, then I hope it's available for you.

ASOBO makes an augmented reality system shown on their web site.  Some version of this might find its way into the new sim.  That might tempt me to try it.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1 hour ago, simmerhead said:

Can you actually read all the info on a G1000 with todays VR hardware? 

Yes you can with the HP Reverb!

Review: 

Disclaimer: I don't own a HP Reverb, so personally I don't know. I have a HTC Vive and a Pimax 5K+ - and those two are not good enough to read a G1000 without leaning forward in the cockpit.

Edited by Thac

"To me vr is the future and I would expect it to be included."

Didn't they say that as well both times when 3D came out,? And that never caught on. I haven't tried VR with flightsims, but I still believe it will be a niche and not anything the majority of flightsimmers will be using. So for me, No, Vr isn't a must to have in MS2020. 

" if it don't support VR I will not use/buy it."  Would you say the same when you buy a new car, that if it doesn't have rear view camera, you won't buy it? I mean there's so much else to enjoy when flying on regular 2D screens, that a thing like VR support or not, shouldn't hold you back from buying it. 

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

• All currrent major flight simulators have VR support (FSX, P3D, XP11 and DCS)
  • All current major flight simulators have native built-in VR support (except FXS is using FlyInside)
  • MSFS2020 should absolutely have VR support moving the flight sim genre forward...

Microsoft said this - source: https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/

Accessibility is important to us. Whatever your abilities are, if you want to fly, we are going to do whatever we can to make that happen. Yoke and pedals, mouse and keyboard, controller, etc. No pilot should be left behind.

Microsoft, I am a VR user and I don't want to be left behind!

• Upvote 1