Sign in to follow this  
Thac

I really want VR support in MSFS2020. What about you?

Flamingpie,

I do not know how others feel, but your response, and please, this is not meant to be offensive, but it makes me want to cry.

I state this, because as a pensioner, I am yearning to at least, try, VR, but cannot afford it and you are telling us that you never use the hardware that you have and not even installed it .

I am sure that there are many others in this particular boat and we are all in a very popular ocean.  

If you are really serious, maybe you should consider making a donation of your hardware and I can give you my address via PM LOL

I am however, taking your response with a grain of salt.  If you have never used it, how can you possibly "hate it".  I am also aware that VR has some drawbacks but eventually most people will get used to it and even enjoy it the overall experience very much.

This reminds me of a post I read this morning (even watched the video) where an ex ACES team member offered a critique of the publicised video put out by Microsoft at E3.

This guy went into some minute details of the drawbacks of "photogrammetry" and even zoomed in by an unknown factor of some 3000 percent in some parts of the video(LOL) Whilst these details were interesting, I don't know of anybody who flies at that zoom level and at normal zoom levels it all looked great (to me at least)  These were not the only details critiqued however, and the overall video was incredibly interesting.

As usual, I am just making a comment and this is not aimed at being nasty to Flamingpie. It is just an observation.

Regards to all

Tony 

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

9 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

[snip] I state this, because as a pensioner, I am yearning to at least, try, VR, but cannot afford it... [snip]

Tony 

Yes. I am 50...so not young. But VR has completely changed the whole flight sim genre for me...

I use TrackIR currently.  What if one uses physical panels, instruments and switches along with a moving map and charts on a second monitor?  I also check messages and emails on my phone while I fly as I work online.  I've always wanted to try VR but can't see how that would work with this situation.

• Like 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

32 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

I use TrackIR currently.  What if one uses physical panels, instruments and switches along with a moving map and charts on a second monitor?  I also check messages and emails on my phone while I fly as I work online.  I've always wanted to try VR but can't see how that would work with this situation.

Just disable VR and do that in 2D while cruising. Then go back into VR for approach/landing. That is what I do.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

VR is one of the MUST-Haves for me.

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I just hope VR support doesn't mean compromising performance in anay way for 2D panel users... 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

There are two kinds of simmers, those who have never tried VR for themselves and those who will never go back to 2d flying again. 🙂

• Upvote 2

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

I have a Reverb and it honestly is amazing with its  2150x2160 res makes every gauge readable from sitting in your seat.  I also have 6DOF motion and bass shakers the immersion is just something else.  I have triple monitors which I have not used for simming since I got my DK2 which was 5 years ago. 

But as others say the problem is using the dials and flicking switches which can become awkward at times but if your just flying around with a HOTAS monitors dont even come close to how good the Reverb is.

Edited by SilentChill
Grammar
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, SilentChill said:

I have a Reverb and it honestly is amazing with its  2150x2160 res makes every gauge readable from sitting in your seat....[snip]

I have a Pimax 5K+ but it sucks. Yeah, great FOV - but the rest is really really bad in my opinion (including build quality and support - stay away). The black levels in the Pimax 5K+ is very bad.

How is the HP Reverb's black level during dark moonless night flights? In my Pimax 5K+ it is not black! There is always a very noticeable grey'ish filter over the whole image, and the colors looks blant and washed (I have adjusted PiTool brightness and contrast, and P3D v4.5 light setting). Dark nights is not possible in the Pimax 5K+   

How is the HP Reverb's tracking? Small slow head movements in a flight sim (P3D, FSX or XP11)... 

Edited by Thac
Grammar

Easy one. I can´t conceive a Flight Simulator in 2020 (or even now) without VR.  

All the "great" simulators have VR implemented:

DCS, XP11, P3D, AF2, I-l2 Sturmovik, Flying Circus.

So no, a sim without VR would be a bad joke.

Cheers 

Carlos

• Like 2

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

I think they will miss a massive opportunity if they don’t bring VR support right out of the box, and then especially later on for the new Xbox.

Every one of the existing Sims is being used this way and a brand new Sim with great performance and amazing scenery and visuals is a natural perfect demonstration of how amazing VR can be. 

I think it is a must have for them simply on the business merits of it and trying to attract new and younger users. 

• Like 2

Hopefully the new MSFS will include VR support and hopefully it is done well. So far, the available VR experiences are not adequate enough for me, in one form or another. Maybe MSFS will bring it all together.

AF2 lacks ATC and real wx but does VR very well. P3D still lacks the performance unless sliders are reduced, but then one may as well use XP which has its own set of things it lacks. FlyInside is coming along slowly but still lacks in the same areas as AF2. 

VR is awesome that is for sure. For me however, I can do VR for a 1-2 hour limit of flying with my Rift. Until the headsets get more comfortable and the resolution increases (at a reasonable price) there is no way I can do more than a couple hour flight a day.

My flight schedule mostly consists of 2-3, 4+hour flights a day, or maybe 1 fight of 14-16 hours. Only on the weekends would I fly less than a couple hours VFR...just to keep refreshed (electrical/systems failures can happen and that GTN/autopilot may not work😧) on VFR operations and planning (DR, pilotage ect.). The problem there is a lack of a VFR map to view, check against, while in VR.     

VR, done right, and comfortable, would be something to behold in order to believe...its very important not to knock it, if one has not tried VR. But VR has a long way to go for realistic flight simming...hopefully MS realizes this.

Q for the VR experts (I don't have any VR gear yet), when I fly I usually have a bunch of charts and my flight plan loaded up on a tablet and refer to one chart or another throughout the flight. How does that work in VR with a headset strapped to one's face? Are the headsets compatible with eyeglasses?

Also, I'm not sure my dog would like my use of VR unless I can also get him a headset so he can participate.

In any case I'm sure VR must be on the roadmap for MFS and hopefully they have planned support from day one even if it's not fully there in early betas.

Edited by fs4fun

Barry Friedman

I absolutely want VR in MS Flight Simulator. If this is a modern platform, it must support modern user interfaces. I am confident MS will do an exceptional job in implementing VR. Onward and upward.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations