Sign in to follow this  
Thac

I really want VR support in MSFS2020. What about you?

5 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Definitely OT but I have to share my experience. That's what I always assumed as well and I couldn't have been more wrong. Seeing is only a very narrow angle, but hearing is 360deg. I've been to two events, dinner in the dark and dialog in the dark, where you are eating in a restaurant, you have to go shopping, cross a busy street, make a boat tour etc. everything in total darkness. It was an increadible experience and I would never have believed before these events that living without being able to see would work for me. 

I already have about 40% hearing loss and don’t mind it too much. Granted it is sometimes irritating when I can’t tell what people are saying, but overall it doesn’t bother me too much and I sleep well 😂😂

However, I do enjoy my better than 20/20 vision and would hate to loose my vision, especially since I already can’t hear that well. Imagine being def and blind? 

Maybe since I’m used to not hearing to well it’s made my other sense more acute or maybe I’m visually more aware of what’s going on around me. Either way, it’s important to me to maintain the vision and other senses that I still have intact.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Good to know since I'm grounded permanently due to a small loss of hearing!  

Edited by FDEdev

On 12/1/2019 at 3:56 AM, cmpbellsjc said:

I’ve never tried VR, so I frankly can’t speak to what I may or may not be missing, however I never enjoyed the 3D experience.

There is a difference between 3D and VR. Since you have never tried VR and you state you never enjoyed the 3D experience, then I am left to guess you mean something like 3D glasses. If so, then VR and 3D glasses are worlds apart.

To the OP and thread, I have tried many things over my 20 years of simming. 1st was back during CRT monitors and the 3D glasses that didnt work with newer LCD or flat screens. You felt like you could reach into your monitor. Then HeadTracker IR along with that program that allowed the user to set viewpoints and smoothly jump from one to another inside the VC. (EZDOK)

Prior to my simpit now, I was using a 65" screen with TrackerIR. So I have tested various things in visuals and simpits. The ideal sim to me is still a full wrap around screen and full to scale cockpit with all working controls. The cost and floor space for that is beyond reason and then you are committed to just that one tpe of plane which is great if thats your thing. For me, there are far too many great plane addons and VC to be held to just the one. So VR allows me to sit in the cockpit of all of those.

Yes I have a great computer, yes I have many hardware modules allowing me to assign all the knobs, switches and levers and finally yes I dont like to fly long distances for long hours so I am not like the masses. I enjoy realistic flights in mostly GA planes on PilotEdge. With VR, PilotEdge, REP or Accusim planes I have a level of immersion that can not be matched with just a 2d monitor using headtracker which is why I switched solely to VR.

I do usually start off in 2D for getting my IFR clearance from PE, use the checklist for run up etc and then go under the hood but thats the beauty of VR, the user can assign a button to jump in and out of it in XP11 or P3Dv4 easily. Flyinside P3Dv3 which I use and AFS2 you are committed to VR or 2D only. My point, find what works best for how you sim but VR is one of the strongest immersion tools simming offers thats within reason. 

Edited by Ident
remembered the name of the addon EZDOK
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 5:36 PM, jlund said:

Didn't they say that as well both times when 3D came out,? And that never caught on. I haven't tried VR with flightsims, but I still believe it will be a niche and not anything the majority of flightsimmers will be using. So for me, No, Vr isn't a must to have in MS2020. 

I'd suggest you try Aerofly FS 2 on HP Reverb or Valve Index, and you might change your opinion. 

8 hours ago, Ident said:

There is a difference between 3D and VR. Since you have never tried VR and you state you never enjoyed the 3D experience, then I am left to guess you mean something like 3D glasses. If so, then VR and 3D glasses are worlds apart.

To the OP and thread, I have tried many things over my 20 years of simming. 1st was back during CRT monitors and the 3D glasses that didnt work with newer LCD or flat screens. You felt like you could reach into your monitor. Then HeadTracker IR along with that program that allowed the user to set viewpoints and smoothly jump from one to another inside the VC. (EZDOK)

Prior to my simpit now, I was using a 65" screen with TrackerIR. So I have tested various things in visuals and simpits. The ideal sim to me is still a full wrap around screen and full to scale cockpit with all working controls. The cost and floor space for that is beyond reason and then you are committed to just that one tpe of plane which is great if thats your thing. For me, there are far too many great plane addons and VC to be held to just the one. So VR allows me to sit in the cockpit of all of those.

Yes I have a great computer, yes I have many hardware modules allowing me to assign all the knobs, switches and levers and finally yes I dont like to fly long distances for long hours so I am not like the masses. I enjoy realistic flights in mostly GA planes on PilotEdge. With VR, PilotEdge, REP or Accusim planes I have a level of immersion that can not be matched with just a 2d monitor using headtracker which is why I switched solely to VR.

I do usually start off in 2D for getting my IFR clearance from PE, use the checklist for run up etc and then go under the hood but thats the beauty of VR, the user can assign a button to jump in and out of it in XP11 or P3Dv4 easily. Flyinside P3Dv3 which I use and AFS2 you are committed to VR or 2D only. My point, find what works best for how you sim but VR is one of the strongest immersion tools simming offers thats within reason. 

FSX with 3D Vision and TrackIR were an awesome combo

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

just don’t understand team on fsx2020 about not having VR in place day one, that sim cry for VR lokk how pretty it is

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/7/2019 at 2:16 PM, blueairone70 said:

just don’t understand team on fsx2020 about not having VR in place day one, that sim cry for VR lokk how pretty it is

The game was being developed in VR using various headsets..it was a matter of it being worth it to proceed with.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I want but I have time. I have oculus 1, and I wear glass (very poor eyes neg8) and I hope progress in VR hardware before...

Dont worry, there are good signs that it's on the way.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 6/27/2019 at 9:20 AM, GCBraun said:

This does not mean that we won't have VR support offered by 3rd. parties like Flyinside, but native support would be much better imho. 

I hope FlyInside will release something but now that they have their own simulator i am not sure that is likely.

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

VR will be really important to me. Like most others, I'm drooling at some of those screenshots and videos (particularly the photogrammetric cities, clouds and atmospheric lighting) and I'm sure I'll buy MSFS2020 right at release even without VR support included. But I suspect that after I get over the initial excitement of the new pretty 2d graphics, Xplane 11 in VR will still get more of my flight sim time until MSFS2020 VR arrives. It just feels so much closer to actual flying for me, even with the lesser graphics. Just today for example, I flew the Cessna 172 in VR from Calgary to Lethbridge. I encountered scattered showers along the way and the 3d rain streaking at times both just above and below me - you just feel like it's really there. Then I was lazy with my flight and headed straight in on the runway with the crosswind landing which turned out to be 35 km/h crosswind gusts. Crabbed in and nailed the landing right on the center line because of the great depth perception VR gives you. I would have never done it as nicely (and relatively stress-free) looking at my 2d monitor. I guess that really sums it up for me: the flying itself and the sensation of it is always #1 for me, the high-res graphics are nice and much appreciated but are always #2 to the flying.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I don't want VR. I want it to first run at good fps on desktop.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub