Sign in to follow this  

I wanna see me

Man,After watching those CaptSim 757 videos in the cockpit, I got to thinking (and I know you guys have already figured this all out but I got so excited I had to write about it) how stark it looks watching levers and knobs move on their own and about how cool it would be to see your arm(s)/hands/legs/feet actually reach for the instruments and move them. It would work best if there were some generic motions programmed in so that developers would not have to create the graphics or even worry at all about the pilot's body, other than decide what textures to put on it, and perhaps give them a choice from several types of bodies (i.e. male, female, big, small (I suppose hairy,smooth could be part of the texture)). IOW, since you know the location of the gauge in the VC, and you know what type of gauge (i.e. knob, lever) it is and its shape and range of movement, I'm imagining it's possible to make a generic model that is put into the plane on loading, so the developer doesn't have to model it. And allow the developer to use the basic model or exclude for external views if they want to use their own model there.The developer would mark a surface as grabbed by left/right hand/foot and define a plane to define wrist rotation so when you select a gauge and change it, if warranted, the hand moves to it and changes the gauge appropriately.I realize this is a long way off, but I imagine it could work.Of course extending from there, the technology could be extended to FS2Crew so you can watch your co-pilot go through the motions, too.:)Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com/FC_StartJava.html] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

I'm not belittling your post or making fun, heck I think that's a great idea! But imagine this - Track IR "X" (current version is 4), with not only head movement but arms, hands, legs and feet too. Makes for grabbing the beer off the dash much easier ;)OR... whipping the empty can out the side window and seeing disgruntled

Guest tdragger

There are some animation techniques that would provide the "hooks" for doing this. In fact, it's pretty standard in the game industry now to model characters using a skeleton/skin that responds algorithmically. Then all the animator needs to do is specify a simple set of moves and the animation engine figures out how to move the body to perform them.

Did you hear that guys? It's been confirmed!! We will have 3D animated and interactive human beings in the cockpit now!:-lol lets see this thing snowball now... In all seriousness, thats a great idea but I think it is a bit too over the top this time around. Not too out there though... like Mike said, its not a new technology (take a look at GT Legends)... so maybe the next time around.

Guest SJDickson

One problem with animating the player's actions is that the animations have to be triggered by an event e.g. flipping a switch on the overhead panel. The program can't know the player is going to flip the switch ahead of time and the animation can't start until the switch has already been flipped by the user. This means that the animation will always be a couple of seconds behind the user events that trigger them, which could be disorienting for the user and could actually interfere with the user's ability to interact with the cockpit e.g. if the delayed arm animation gets in the way of a button that the user wants to press right now.

I know some are against this, but flying for a VA for awhile, I'd love an "optional" first person perspective before you get into the aircraft. It could tie into the new missions, where you are in the office setting up the flight with the clients and then you look out the window and see them bring the aircraft out of the hanger and then you can do your walkaround and preflight, it would add so much depth to a flight IMO. Yes, I know that you can kinda do this with AC or walk and follow, but something more specfic would be great. If it was optional and cut off when in the aircraft it would not take anything away from the simmers that don't get into it.Think how cool it would be to walk thru the jetway to the 757 cockpit to do your preflight.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

and to have to pass a breathaliser test and a bloodtest for heroin and cocaine before being allowed near the aircraft, and to have the FAA come in and tear up your license if you bust an airspace restriction...

>and to have to pass a breathaliser test and a bloodtest for>heroin and cocaine before being allowed near the aircraft, and>to have the FAA come in and tear up your license if you bust>an airspace restriction...Past experience bro??Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Bell206freak

I hope they don't include "virtual humans" in the virtual cockpit. It's not that I don't think it's realistic, but I think it's better not to have that feature implemented, especially for screenshot purposes.

Guest cwright

I hope they do! (Of course it could be optional).One of the biggest developments in FS that I would like to see would be the human element. This is standard in many games these days. To me FS now seems somewhat sterile because there are no human beings. To see cockpits, passenger cabins - indeed entire airports - completely innocent of human life strikes me as pretty bizarre. I want FS to be as real as it gets - and that includes the human element. Best regards, ChrisTsunami: http://www.lulu.com/content/170114

for me FS is a means to get away from having to constantly deal with others in a business...I don't want to have to file a flightplan with some ATC agency, get it sent back because I made a typo, refile, get it lost, refile, get a slot 3 months from now for a 5 minute window, then find the weather at that time is IMC when I'm only VFR capable so I can't fly.I also don't want the virtual CAA to come in and take away my license because I busted the Heathrow FIR in my C172 or because I flew 260 knots indicated below FL100.That's the human element if you want it "as real as it gets".

>for me FS is a means to get away from having to constantly>deal with others in a business...>>I don't want to have to file a flightplan with some ATC>agency, get it sent back because I made a typo, refile, get it>lost, refile, get a slot 3 months from now for a 5 minute>window, then find the weather at that time is IMC when I'm>only VFR capable so I can't fly.>I also don't want the virtual CAA to come in and take away my>license because I busted the Heathrow FIR in my C172 or>because I flew 260 knots indicated below FL100.>>That's the human element if you want it "as real as it gets".That is why I saw "optinal" because there are simmers like you that want to fly against every flight rule there is (which ifs fine, I do it myself) and there are many others that want to stick to realism, why do you think VAs are popular? There are a lot of things that affect the flight in an urban area and consequences as well, but not in FS, I can fly acrobatics in the A36 over KLAX with no worry or reprise. I'd love to do that and upon landing seeing several security vehicles headed for my plane in FS, LOLI agree with the above comment that FS is way to sterile, that is why I ususally fly out of georender sceneries, the animated people and vehicles give them some idea of life. I used to LOVE FSE just for the ambient sounds you could introduce into a scene.There are many options in FS that can be turned on or off, don't see why these can't be a part of that, heck, add it to the realism slider.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

nothing against more ambient sounds and objects in the scenery, don't get me wrong.But what I read in your post was you wanting to enforce a complete system of rules and regs where you had to first walk to the office to file a flightplan and get clearance, then walk to the met office to get the latest weather, phone the fuel guy to fill up your aircraft, etc. etc..I usually try to stick with procedures when flying airliners, but I do want the freedom to do what I want when I want it where I want it as well and certainly don't need anyone to enforce rules on me for a passtime.I've enough of that at work already...