Sign in to follow this  
VBHB

State of QW 787 or should I buy something else?

Hi all looking at my next payware aircraft after coming back to simming and enjoying flying the Q400 on P3D v4.5.

What's the state of the 787? Has the latest patch fixed the LNAV/VNAV issues and is there other issues that have popped up?

I can wait till the NG3 or get another PMDG product but I really want to use the 787 to fly the real world 787 routes I like.

What else do people recommended? Simlabs A320?  I heard that A/C has issues with killing your FPS.

Thanks,

Peter Walsh.

Edited by VBHB

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

Personally, for me the QW 787 works as it should with only minor flaws not preventing me doing flights from A to B including the use of the "jump ahead" feature. But you will also get different opinions here. Doesn't QW offer a 30d refund? Then you could try it yourself, still the best way to know if an addon is suitable or not. Otherwise, there are already several threads like this one here on avsim, maybe you get the info you need out of those?

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/552567-787-qualitywings/?tab=comments#comment-3990691

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/554472-qualitywings-787s/?tab=comments#comment-4007362

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/552113-ultimate-787-update-version-113-released/?tab=comments#comment-3987148

• Upvote 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I love their 787. It looks amazing, performance is good and she is a pleasure flying. They really did a great job for me even if it is not pmdg or fsl depth of the systems

Edited by RTK1972

Carsten U

46 minutes ago, SimPilot221 said:

It’s nice and all but is STILL NOT STUDY-LEVEL!

You make it sound like it's supposed to be...

I think it deserves to be mentioned that the QW787 was never supposed to be study level, and thus you shouldn't expect it to be. That said, it simulates a lot.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 6

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

6 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

You make it sound like it's supposed to be...

I think it deserves to be mentioned that the QW787 was never supposed to be study level, and thus you shouldn't expect it to be. That said, it simulates a lot.

Agreed. Look at the price tag. 

What a feeling to have the latest in the sim from Boeing. 

Wish a a350 or A380 with same or more soon. 

Michael Moe 

• Like 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

It’s a great plane. Looks and flies great and has a fair level of system depth. 

Orman

2 hours ago, SimPilot221 said:

It’s nice and all but is STILL NOT STUDY-LEVEL!

“Study Level” is nothing more than a marketing ploy to justify 3-digit price tags.  It’s seriously a useless, abstract term with no clear definition.  

QW787 is a fine aircraft and mince 99% of the daily flight operations. 

Edited by kingm56
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Matt King

31 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

“Study Level” is nothing more than a marketing ploy to justify 3-digit price tags.  It’s seriously a useless, abstract term with no clear definition.  

QW787 is a fine aircraft and mince 99% of the daily flight operations. 

I’m sorry but you’re wrong. Study level means every switch works and changing one at the wrong time will have consequences. On simpler aircraft many switches are blank. They operate but do nothing.

What you’re paying for is the extra work that goes into programming each switch or button. My comments are not directed at the QW 787 since I don’t own it. But PMDG and FSL aircraft are classed as study level as they are as close as possible to the real thing.

Not everyone wants or is willing to pay for that so simpler products at lower prices from others suit perfectly.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, SimPilot221 said:

STILL NOT STUDY-LEVEL!

As other have mentioned, it's not marketed as a FAA-certified training device. It's a desktop model of the 787. Set your expectations accordingly and you'll find it enjoyable.

• Upvote 1

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

21 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’m sorry but you’re wrong. Study level means every switch works and changing one at the wrong time will have consequences. On simpler aircraft many switches are blank. They operate but do nothing.

Sorry Ray, but I have to disagree and point out that your argument is based on completely buying into this horrible term that people have come up with over the last few years. This "study level" [word won't be allowed]  was coined by users here and in other forums to defend paying ever-climbing prices for high-end simulations.

While I won't argue that the devs you mentioned make some of, if not, the best models of airliners for ESP, they still don't hold a candle to a real training product. Additionally, we are maybe getting 25-30% of the real systems integration of these aircraft.

I know it won't but I would love to see this term die off in favor of "high-fidelity" or "really well modeled"

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

It may not be study level, but it is officially Boeing licensed and i'd say it is pretty close to study level.

And for that price it is really something.

I like it a lot, it is just that I don't do that many longhaul flights anymore.

@ZLA Steve, we can debate how to refer to them. I don’t have a problem with ‘hi-fidelity” but ‘really well modelled’ is rather subjective.

I suspect a real training product would cost many hundreds and possibly thousands so getting this level of fidelity for around 100GBP is reasonable.

The only really complex aircraft I have is FSL Concorde and I can assure you that the flight model is extremely accurate as are the many systems in the aircraft not least the flight engineer’s panel with every switch accurately modelled.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

17 minutes ago, ZLA Steve said:

I know it won't but I would love to see this term die off in favor of "high-fidelity" or "really well modeled"

I hope the term "study level" dies off too, because it's so open-ended.

For me, I have to study EVERY aircraft I fly, for example, the AH Bristol Bulldog.  I couldn't fly that thing without studying (there's that word again!) the documentation.  Same with the JustFlight Piper Arrow.  Neither of those two would fit the -- dare I say it -- Study level -- moniker.  Yet there I am, poring over a manual, whether it be for the ancient GPS 100, or the start procedure for a 1920's biplane.

About the only thing I can ram the throttles forward on, would be a default aircraft, I guess.

• Like 3

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I finally purchased the 787 about 3 months ago, Its all I have been flying since. All up and down the west coast PDX/SEA/VANC/SFO thanks ORBX and thanks Qualitywings.

Just get it already and enjoy, I have also added the "oldprop" addition for more realism. 

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+