Sign in to follow this  
VBHB

State of QW 787 or should I buy something else?

39 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Why would he be "wasting his time", unless he wants the absolute pinnacle of "study level" realism? He has already stated tha he "just wants a nice aircraft with some depth", and (IMO) the QW 787 easily belongs in that category.

I respectfully disagree.

1 hour ago, SimPilot221 said:

PMDG’s 747, 737 and 777 aeroplanes are objectively more high-fidelity, well-modeled and study-level than the QW787. For goodness sakes, it doesn’t even model the LOW FUEL indication! And compare its EFB with that of the 747? There’s no contest.

Well, if you talk about how the systems are modeled, yes. If you talk about the 3D model, I disagree. V1 of the Queen had the main gear fixed to the fuselage about 2m off the real position (and PMDG never cared about it), in V2 it was slightly better but still not correct and in V3 it seems to be almost real. The 737 on the other hand, due to the age of the addon, is simply not state of the art regarding 3D model anymore.

You say there is no contest... correct, the price tag for a PMDG plane is more than twice what you pay for the QW787, they are simply not in the same category of addons. For a 130$ addon, I expect that the outside 3D model is state of the art as well, not only the systems.

I mean, you also do not compare TE products from ORBX with classic landclass based addons, no? But for both, you have a market and for some, the landclass based sceneries are sufficient, for others only TE is the real deal.

Means: you can disagree, this is your valid opinion, but the statement from Christopher remains entirely correct. For an aircraft with "some depth", the QW787 is perfect. Many enjoy flying with this bird (including me), whether you like it or not...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

About 'study level': when I started flight simulation, high-end addon aircrafts were said to be 'very realistic', 'as real as it gets'. Later, they were said to be 'hardcore'. And now 'study-level' 😉

About purchasing: me too I am considering to get the 787. I would have two questions:

1) For the coming 787 Version 1.2, QW says: 'will be free of charge for existing customers. Does that mean that if I do not buy the 787 now, when 1.2 will be released the price will increase or I will have to pay an extra?

2) I am really used to the the 777 PFD colours. Are there some available settings or tweaks to make the 787 colours match the one of the 777?

Regarding, 1.2, ' improved display fonts/looks' is a good news for me.

- TONY -

3 hours ago, AnkH said:

Well, if you talk about how the systems are modeled, yes. If you talk about the 3D model, I disagree. V1 of the Queen had the main gear fixed to the fuselage about 2m off the real position (and PMDG never cared about it), in V2 it was slightly better but still not correct and in V3 it seems to be almost real. The 737 on the other hand, due to the age of the addon, is simply not state of the art regarding 3D model anymore.

You say there is no contest... correct, the price tag for a PMDG plane is more than twice what you pay for the QW787, they are simply not in the same category of addons. For a 130$ addon, I expect that the outside 3D model is state of the art as well, not only the systems.

I mean, you also do not compare TE products from ORBX with classic landclass based addons, no? But for both, you have a market and for some, the landclass based sceneries are sufficient, for others only TE is the real deal.

Means: you can disagree, this is your valid opinion, but the statement from Christopher remains entirely correct. For an aircraft with "some depth", the QW787 is perfect. Many enjoy flying with this bird (including me), whether you like it or not...

Have you SEEN the exterior modeling of the 787?! There's no anti-skid! Absolutely absurd. Not even any chocks!

My point? QW787 is NOT study-level and, ergo, should NOT be considered as such! There are too many drawbacks, i.e. handling, lack of realistic IRS alignment time, no failures, no FUEL TEMP LOW indication, inaccurate announcements...I never said it was not a good aircraft!!!!

Technically, for someone who is not familiar with the aircraft, you'd still need to study the manual and get familiar with the systems to fly it. Therefore, it is a study level aircraft.

Wonder who were the first devs to come up with the term study-level originally ? 

I think the term debuted back in the mid 90s with the release of some Jane's sims: Longbow 2, F-15, etc.

• Like 1

I agree. However, I have also wasted plenty of money on other planes over the years :sad:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I've had my fair share of issues with the 787 once it initially came out for P3Dv4. As time went on and after listening to their customers, v1.3 of the product is fantastic. All major issues have been ironed out. Since the latest update, I haven't had any CTD's at all. It's a really enjoyable aircraft to fly and well worth the price. It will only get better from here. The next update will include the 787-10 and improved weather radar + other systems for free. If anyone is looking at getting a 787. This one will not disappoint you.

• Upvote 1

Sante Sottile

5 hours ago, SimPilot221 said:

My point? QW787 is NOT study-level and, ergo, should NOT be considered as such!

Neither anyone in this thread nor QualityWings themselves called the 787 "study-level".  I'm not sure what you are going on about.

Edited by Greggy_D
  • Upvote 1

The QW787 is an "almost study-level" aircraft but not up to PMDG standards and is one great bargain!

Unfortunately, I don't care for the term "study level", current flight-simulators are not truly professional and will not get you a job in the airline industry.

Edited by SP2472

Wow, the OP asked a simple question on the 787 and SimPilot221 came out with the caps and the whole topic went down hill from there. He didn’t even ask about StudyLevel.

OP, if your looking for a fun plane that works nicely in P3Dv4 than the 787 would make a nice addition to anyones collection. QW is bring out the -10, new radar and upgrades free of charge. Plus the price can’t be beat for what you get. 

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro