Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

After POST hyphens flashes upper left then Win10

Yeah I've checked and triple checked this settting...unless something is hiding in another advanced area of the BIOS....I believe I've set the SSD with Windows10 to be first boot.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Although it sounds a little weird (and I'm still not sure why), when I built my current system, the only way I could get it to boot reliably was to set the boot drive (SSD) as the second in the list after another non-boot HDD. It was almost as if it needed a very small delay before booting from the SSD. It's worked perfectly ever since. It may be worth playing with the boot order - you never know!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi Ryan,

disable CSM in the bios.

fly safe

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

On 9/1/2019 at 6:04 PM, mokeiko said:

Hi Ryan,

disable CSM in the bios.

fly safe

Can you explain what this is?  I googled it but don't really understand what it is.  Wouldn't I want it enabled?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I would just try and disable it and if your problem persist, turn it back on. It’s that easy.

“The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is a component of the UEFI firmware that provides legacy BIOScompatibility by emulating a BIOS environment, allowing legacy operating systems and some option ROMs that do not support UEFI to still be used.”

i disabled this because I needed to disable the legacy raid “Control + I” feature for my raid 0 setup, if I didn’t my boot into windows would freeze in the boot phase (it thinks  windows is installed in the raid). I recently purchased a new PC case and transferred everything (hardware) over. When I setup my three ssd’s in raid, my windows would freeze during boot. I think my problem was that I needed to install raid drivers but you had to do this during a new windows install and not after and I didn’t want to reinstall windows, P3d, add-ones, etc. when I disabled csm, my boot priority would look for uefi boot only.

I figured you were running a legacy printer and maybe that was giving you issues during the initiating boot process, disabling csm would fix the issue you’re having. 

I also updated my bios (ASUS) and there were more features and settings that weren’t available on the older version and I seem to have forgotten the settings I used (bios resets custom settings) hence the issues I was having.

fly safe

Edited by mokeiko

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

Yeah I suppose my printer would be considered "legacy."  I'll give this a try!

Well that didn't work....in fact my PC wouldn't boot...and BIOS gave me a message about the CSM settings being incompatible.  It was really quick so I didn't catch the entire message.  For clarity, I am running Windows 10 x64 off of a SATA III SSD.  And my printer is connected via USB and wireless printing is enabled.  What I might do is contact ASUS and see if they've ever had contact with users running older printers and having boot issues.  It's a very peculiar issue...and in my life...these types of things happen to me LOL

Also I have been reading through this old thread at Tom's hardware...there's a user that explains this stuff more in depth.  I'm now even more confused why the PC wouldn't allow me to set CSM to disabled.  I really think it is trying to boot off the "addon storage" aka my printer hehe.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-exactly-is-a-legacy-rom-option-in-the-boot-section-of-my-bios.389681/

But before I did that, in BIOS it gave me this notice about disabling CSM:

48693952582_5e9e92b6c0_o.jpgCSM_disable1 by ryan b, on Flickr

Is it possible that one of these options is making windows not boot up?

48693952322_5de2526d3e_o.jpgcsm_disable2 by ryan b, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Alright.....so there was an option buried deeper in advanced bios...to disable USB on boot....I did this but I think I'm in trouble now.  It fixed the booting into Windows issue....however my kb and mouse are usb so how can I access the BIOS?  I don't have a PS/2 keyboard.  In other words, USB devices are disabled until successful boot into Windows.  (BTW the boot time is like 5 seconds from power button to desktop LOL)

FINAL EDIT:  Thankfully I remembered I had an old PS/2 kb in a box packed away....plugged that puppy in and now I've got access to BIOS.  For now I'll leave USB disabled because it makes my boot super fast.  For what it's worth, in the boot priority screen in BIOS, it recognized my Canon printer as a bootable haha!  

This issue is really finally solved.

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Glad you have it sorted Ryan

fly safe

Francisco Blas