Sign in to follow this  
tszchun_anson

No Clouds in Sim with ASCA + ENVTEX

Hello everyone!

After clean installation of sim and addons, I noticed that there was no cloud at all.

The problem is very likely to be caused by improper configs of ENVTEX and ASCA. I can see at the bottom of ASCA UI: “Last Activated Theme: Full Dynamics, Sky: Instinctive 3, Cirrus: None, Clouds: None

The following is the ASCA settings:

ASCA Theme: Full Dynamic
Cloud Textures: Disabled
Cloud Structures: Enabled
Sky Textures: Enabled
Cirrus Texture: Disabled

In ENVDIR, I have enabled ASCA Integration and correctly configured ASCA folder.

The settings above are recommended in ENVTEX’s manual.

First, when Cloud and Cirrus Textures are both disabled in ASCA, how can ASCA inject the ENVTEX textures into sim? Is this the culprit of missing clouds?

Second, in ENVDIR I have actually set "Set 2 - Uses Envtex sky textures only" under the field of "Sky for ASCA", how come ASCA is still using its own sky colour?

Hope somebody can clear up my confusion.

Thanks,

Anson

Did you install the textures to the sim in Envtex? After selecting the options, you must install them using the button on the menu.

You can also just enable them in ASCA and see if you like what you get.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

2 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Did you install the textures to the sim in Envtex? After selecting the options, you must install them using the button on the menu.

You can also just enable them in ASCA and see if you like what you get.

Vic

Yes, I have recorded my installation process and confirmed that I did click “install to sim” button after selecting the options. It took a while to load to 100% as normal.

Anson

Hi Anson,

Are you using any shader mods - I'd try clearing your shaders - then try again. I'm sure there's a procedure posted here somewhere...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

3 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Anson,

Are you using any shader mods - I'd try clearing your shaders - then try again. I'm sure there's a procedure posted here somewhere...

Regards,
Scott

Thanks! Yes, I am using TomatoShade. But I am used to clearing shader cache every time before starting the sim.

Anson

I assume you are running ASP4 as your weather engine. It should be running with P3D. Do you see clouds when you ENABLE them ins ASCA?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

4 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I assume you are running ASP4 as your weather engine. It should be running with P3D. Do you see clouds when you ENABLE them ins ASCA?

Vic

Thanks for your advice! You are right, ASP4 is running with P3D. I haven’t tried to enable the cloud and cirrus textures ever since. 

But I think the key is that there might have been something wrong with ENVTEX. Like...even though in ENVTEX option page I chose to use ENVTEX sky colours only, the ASCA still injected its own sky colours into sim. 

Anson

If you had them disabled in ASCA they would not show in the sim.

Vic

2 hours ago, vgbaron said:

If you had them disabled in ASCA they would not show in the sim.

Vic

Thanks! The reason why I disabled cirrus and cloud textures in ASCA was that I wanted ASCA to exclude its own textures but inject Envtex textures into sim in full dynamic mode. The Envtex manual recommends this and I can also see some youtube simmers setting the sim this way as well. I believe it shouldn’t be the cause of missing clouds. 

Anson

I would like to confirm my understanding of ASCA integration with ENVTEX is correct. The following is an extract of ENVTEX manual:

To take advantage of the dynamic texture injection you must check that your ASCA settings configured as shown below:

ASCA Theme Full Dynamics

Cloud textures Disabled to use Envtex cumulus and keep the dynamic ASCA rendering

Cloud structures Enabled if you use ASCA integration without using REX Skyforce

Sky textures Enabled Cirrus textures Enabled (will use ASCA cirrus textures) or Disabled (to use Envtex cirrus)

With cloud and sky textures disabled, how can ASCA even inject ENVTEX textures into sim?

Anson

ASCA "injects" nothing. Basically it just copies the proper data to a file that is "injected" by the weather engine, in this case ASP4. If you tell ASCA to not use cloud sets, then Envtex puts the could sets into the file and they get injected by ASP4.

You still haven't answered my question - if you ENABLE everything in ASCA, do you get clouds or not? If you do and then when you DISABLE them in ASCA and then do NOT - you need to check with Envtex.

If you don't get clouds with ASCA enabled, then you need to talk to the folks at HiFi.

Vic

I had this issue. The Envtex manual says to untick clouds in ASCA if you want to use Envtex clouds with ASCA. I did that, selected cumulous in the Envtex settings, installed to sim and got nothing showing. All other settings for ASCA/Envtex integration were set correctly. The Envtex sky textures show up in ASCA just fine. Posted on the dev forum and saw others had same issue. Dev said it was fixed and it's not. Went back and ticked on clouds in ASCA and got my clouds back. If it wasn't for the sky textures I would dump Envtex in the recycle bin.

Eric 

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

ASCA "injects" nothing. Basically it just copies the proper data to a file that is "injected" by the weather engine, in this case ASP4. If you tell ASCA to not use cloud sets, then Envtex puts the could sets into the file and they get injected by ASP4.

You still haven't answered my question - if you ENABLE everything in ASCA, do you get clouds or not? If you do and then when you DISABLE them in ASCA and then do NOT - you need to check with Envtex.

If you don't get clouds with ASCA enabled, then you need to talk to the folks at HiFi.

Vic

Thanks for your advice. I understand your logic, and will do when I get time this weekend :)

37 minutes ago, B777ER said:

I had this issue. The Envtex manual says to untick clouds in ASCA if you want to use Envtex clouds with ASCA. I did that, selected cumulous in the Envtex settings, installed to sim and got nothing showing. All other settings for ASCA/Envtex integration were set correctly. The Envtex sky textures show up in ASCA just fine. Posted on the dev forum and saw others had same issue. Dev said it was fixed and it's not. Went back and ticked on clouds in ASCA and got my clouds back. If it wasn't for the sky textures I would dump Envtex in the recycle bin.

Hi! I saw you on the official forum as well. After you had gone back and ticked on the clouds, did you get Envtex clouds back or just the ASCA clouds?

Anson

Edited by tszchun_anson

When my clouds disappeared the solution was to delete the clouds.fx file and repair the p3d client, see here:

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU