Sign in to follow this  
RobbieHe

Two simple but much needed improvements

I've boarded aircraft parked at jetways where the jetway could not connect to the aircraft.It meant everyone having to take the stairs down the side of the jetway and walk up to the aircraft and in using airstairs.And that wasn't just Fokkers and ATRs, it was propliners, 737s, once or twice a DC-9.

I am not saying what you are talking about does not exist. However, it is more the exception than the rule. RH

rather what you want is the exception.Most airports (in fact all I know of) have a standard size jetway to which all aircraft should fit.If they don't fit, passengers have to be transported to the aircraft some other way.The default jetways are low poly models that don't model the complex docking mechanisms that make that flexibility possible and that's for a very good reason: performance.Adding that would likely add several thousand polygons to the average airport terminal, seriously slowing down most machines and causing reams of complaints about poor framerates.

Guest tdragger

<>Okay, we'll make a special version just for you that doesn't have them. ;)

Its the height. You can vary the height of the gateways keeping everything else the same (keeping the low polygon count or whatever). Again, this is not rocket science. At KATL, for example, use only the 747 and 777 sized (as in height) at terminal E. All other gates (T-Gates, Terminals A, B, C, and D) should be at a lower level to properly fit 737, MD80s, 757s...AT LHR, for example, this might be more problematic, since there are more 777s and 747s. However, you can still vary the heights of the gates to fit more aircraft more appropriately, keeping all other variables the same.RH

much appreciated.I'd like to not have them at dirt airstrips most of all ;)

Guest Kaltenbrunner

#Adding that would likely add several thousand polygons to the average airport terminal, seriously slowing down most machines and causing reams of complaints about poor framerates.#Well, that's ####. Few thousand polys here or there - you'll hardly notice it on even the slowest computers. In fact, I'm really impressed how small impact on FPS high-poly objects have. Poor framerates usually come from using lots of high-res uncompressed textures with alpha channels. If gates are low-poly, use LODs and have small well-compressed textures, then there is no remarkable FPS hit.

Keep looking around here in the forums, FSInsider, and blogs, and you'll find the answer you want. :-)

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

So, if I keep looking, I'll find that these much needed improvments (fixes for airport gates and improved flight planner) will be included in FSX? If that is the case, then I am over the moon happy! RH

Now you're putting words in my mouth, LOL.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Man, you had me all excited there. I thought maybe you had some inside scoop... Oh well...RH

Guest tdragger

Details, please? ;)